• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

January Spearing the Keys

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ahoyhoy239

As Seen On TV!
May 13, 2003
This year January proved to be a rather interesting month for spearfishing here in the keys. After an interesting New Years(Aquiles knows about it) i was finally able to jump in the water after a couple months out of water. My brother drove the boat while Aquiles and I kicked the current in the Keys. We picked up on the action right away with a nice snapper and shots at numerous fish. Eventually Aquiles called me over after shooting a nice Balck Grouper that holed up. He informed me that there were more grouper on the same rock just lying around so I quickly took a breathe up and went down. I took the first shot I could at a red grouper and came up happy. I took the fish to the boat while Aquiles searched the area for some of the other blacks that he had seen. when i returned he retrieved the holed up black and i continued to search for the groupers knowing that Aquiles never lies when it comes to fishing. Sure enough, on a dive i turned my head and there was a beautiful Black Grouper sitting next to a rock. I tried to keep my cool and slowly swung my gun towards the fish, lined up took the shot. To my surprise, i got the stone shot and made my way to the surface with a big fat smile on my face. It was amazing that Aquiles and I were both there at the surface with very nice Black Grouper, but the mosy amazing thing of all was that my fish was bigger than his! I know, I know it sounds cocky but thats just to mess arounds with Aquiles because i know that he likes to here it. either way, the day kept on for a grand total of 3 Black Groupers, 2 Red Grouper, 2 Snappers, as well as triggerfish and Hogfish. All in all that proved to be a very successful day for a couple hours diving between me and Aquiles. As a bonus I made $40.

The second trip I went on this month was with Aquiles again although this time we also had the company of Aquiles's friends Todd and Travis. We headed out once again on a cold day. Todd was without a wetsuit on this trip so he stayed on the boat. Travis and I were first in the water while Aquiles did hid business. We found some snapper but i missed a couple shots. It turned out to be a bad day for me since i only ended up with 1 Gag Grouper for all my efforts. The only good side to that was that it was my first Gag ever. Aquiles on the other hand found himself a lobster that he managed to bring to the boat as well as several mackerels, snappers, and blacks. The spearfishing was cut short because of lack of fish compared to what we were usually in. The highlight of the day had to be the free swimming sailfish. Aquiles was the first to spot it. It had to be at least 6 feet long and im guessing somewhere from 60-80 lbs. It was amazing that he came close enough for anyone of us to shoot it though it is illegal to kill them here in Florida. It was truly an amazing sight.

We went home early and quickly left the marina once again with the rods and a whole bunch of bait. We finally caught the bait that we needed and headed out to 120 feet of water where we trolled live speedos. while we were bringing in the baits to head to another spot, BAM! the water erupts behind the boat and we were on. Travis grabbed the rod and fought the fish to the boat. Time passed as the fish made several passes by the boat but stayed just out of range of the gaff. Finally Aquiles drove the gaff home and brought the kingfish into the boat. A couples of whacks to the head with the bat and the fish was dispatched. After the pictures, i put the kingfish on the scale and he came out to an even 40 lbs! What an amazing day, with the sighting of the sailfish and then watching the great battle the king. Congratulations to Travis for his work with the rod.

January proved to be an amazing month for spearing considering it was so cold. I gotta give thanks to Aquiles for taking me on these great trips. By the way Aquiles, fell free to add to the story just in case i missed anything.

Nice fish ahoyhoy,

What depth were you finding the grouper

Connor

all the fish were between 30-50 feet of water however aquiles did land some of the fish in deeper water past 60 feet

Thanks ahoyhoy, Sounds like the keys must be improving some.
Glad to hear it.

Connor

Proof is in the pudding. I will post the pics soon I have them on my computer expect them sometime next week

Aquiles

The pudding

Here is the pic

Attachments

• p1020052 500x375.jpg
    p1020052 500x375.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 258
Hey aquiles what are you doing next week tuesday and wed. Ill be in miami for spring break. Ive got my fins, mask, and might have my wetsuit by then. Was thinking of going diving somewhere but dont know where to go.

Wish I lived in Florida! tell me straight, does it ever really get cold in Florida? Nice fish lads!

well that depends on what you considser cold. the coldest i can remember it being down here is about 40 degrees or somewhere around there. however, the winters usually stay above 55. as far as water temps, i believe 65-80+ degrees is about right however i am not completely sure. I cant last more than 4-5 hours in 70 degree water so to any diver that jumps in anything less than that, i give you a crapload of respect just for thinking about touching water. it seems pretty hard to realize that for some of you to go diving you have to drill through ice! just the thought of walking on ice makes me shrink!rofl :naughty

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT