• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Japan Spear Fishing - 日本 やり釣

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Apologies all: today, I accidentally permanently deleted the "Japan Spear Fishing - 日本 やり釣", which I started several years ago :( It won't happen again.

So, in the true spirit of Japan, we rebuild!

Amazing animals, I saw a documentary about a species of octopus that is now co operating with others of its kind due to environmental and ecosystem change, leading scientists to think that their intelligence will increase because of it. They are pretty smart as it is!! ;) I wonder how big they really get down in the depths, pretty big I reckon;) I love the sea, you never know what's down there!

The (apparently fibreglass) model of a giant skid in the Natural History museum made a big impression on me as a child - it is soooo long. So I was keen to see it when I took my son a few years ago. Things had changed a lot, so I asked where it was and thestaff member offered to take us all to the private storage area too see the real thing. I said I was happy to just see the fibreglass model - kind of regret missing that opportunity now but we had a busy schedule & getting my wife to the V&A was a priority at the time.

To see the real thing would have been excellent, last time I went my boy was about 7 years old, I could have stayed all day if it wasn't for the boy and wife getting a bit bored and the constant running back to the parking meter, I made the MASSIVE mistake of parking on a nearby road, it was an expensive day out, I love the place, definitely my favourite place in London. When I was a kid the whole sperm whale, giant squid thing had me obsessed, the size of the sucker marks on the sperm whales etc. An encounter between the biggest of both species must be titanic, down in the dark depths!

On the original instance of this thread, we discussed Japan's history of freediving - specifically the renown Ama divers. There a few videos on them on youtube and now there are a few more. For example:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinniped72
Not a carbon fin in sight, in fact no fins at all............ very impressive, I noticed that the goggles had bladders for equalisation, it reminds me that THE most important part of what we do is being comfortable in the environment and also not to be so obsessed with the whole this guns better than that gun type thing.

Reactions: Mr. X
Anybody here diving in the temperate waters of Japan? I'm in Yokosuka looking for friends to polespear and free dive with

Hi Ianairaised, I fear that when I accidentally deleted the original, quite long thread all of the original posters lost their connections with it. :( It may take a while to get them back on thread. Posting regular content seems to help - got any spearing stories/pics? :)

Last edited:
Hi Ianairaised, I fear that when I accidentally deleted the original, quite long thread all of the original posters lost their connections with it. :( It may take a while to get them back on thread. Posting regular content seems to help - got any spearing stories/pics? :)

Actually yeah here's a video of my near 85cm seabass shot recently

Reactions: Mr. X and winky
Lately I've been freezing in my 1.5mil suit so I don't go out often unless the oceans calling is strong that day. I've bought new gear in prep for when it gets warmer. I used to spearfish a lot back home in Hawaii but most importantly for food. I just like to go out to enjoy the water to chill and bringing a fish or two back makes it even better. I usually don't dive past 10m but with a good dive partner I will want to train to hit deeper depths

Super video, so completely different to most that I have seen. Hawaiian-sling with a slip-tip? Never seen that set-up used before - and it worked beautifully. What a great fish too :) You must be pleased ("chuffed to bits" as we say) to have got the fish & footage of the catch too :). Just goes to show, you don't need a big boat or to go to deep waters far from shore to catch good fish. I've watched it 3 times already :D

i love spearfishing but freediving is what i want to get into. Anyone know a class out here in japan wthat i could take?

Hi lanairaised, unfortunately I can no longer see your video :(
...Hawaiian-sling with a slip-tip? Never seen that set-up used before - and it worked beautifully. What a great fish too :) ... :D
Can you tell us some details about your spear? Actually I called it a Hawaiian-sling but that might be inaccurate, perhaps pole-spear would be a better description? I am thinking of trying a pole spear myself, inspired by your video. What length do you use/recommend? I am also wondering if it might be good alternative to a very short (e.g. 55cm/60cm barrel) speargun for night diving.

That slip-tip seems like a pretty subtle but advanced feature.

Hello everybody! Im an Australian spearfisher with a japanese wife and i keep watching videos of spearfishing japan and it looks amazing!!! Hopefully one day when we are visiting her family there i can take my gear :) just need to study what is allowed. Can anyone point me to a resource to check what is allowed to spear and any season restrictions etc? Greetings from south east australia! Jeremy

I've binge-watched spearfishing videos and I find it interesting and a new challenge to try. Where do people get their equipment?

I've binge-watched spearfishing videos and I find it interesting and a new challenge to try. Where do people get their equipment?

Spearfishing is not just about the equipment. In order not to die of any of the freediving related dangers I would strongly suggest to learn how to freedive safely. Taking a course is a good place to start.
If you have never practiced spearfishing watching YouTube videos can give a really distorted view of the reality you will face in the water.
Wishing you all the best during your course and training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mintzak
I have not been around for a long time. still been spearfishing on and off, between illness. (mostly good now)
But here is a video of a Japanese guy pulling in a monster on a polespear. I am sure you`ll enjoy this.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT