• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Japan Spear Fishing - 日本 やり釣

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Excellent video :) Magnificent fish, really beautiful. Interesting technique/equipment (carbon fibre polespear, gloves, dive knife, slip-tip?, heavy duty solid bar fish stringer, etc.). Gives a better sense of actually being there than most youtube vudeos - perhaps due a combination of factors (real, live audio including snorkel breathing; decent resolution, head-mounted camera, etc.). I've subscribed to his channel ;)

This one is good too, same chap. Interesting dispatching tools & techniques - thorough:

Last edited:
Yeah, both those vids were awesome! The seabed there was really beautiful!

His spear is could be one of these or something like them. http://mogulers.com/?mode=cate&cbid=1115098&csid=0
This shop has not bad prices. some other shops though OMG.
Many spears over here tend to be on the long side.
I just upgraded to a 3.8 meter $300 from Yahoo auction. Carbon shafts and titanium joints. I thought it would be too
long for me around the rocks and tetra pods, but already big fish in the bag. I`ll post some pics of it later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks monchan that's excellent :) The price, 39,800 JPY is about £272 / $357 - about the same as an expensive speargun or 3 or 4 regular spearguns here, seems quite high but the quality looks good. 3.8m thats 12.5", yes quite long.

Last edited:
When I say that shop has reasonably prices, I should have said compared to other shops over here.
Spearing fishing is a minor activity here and anything that is minor the vendors can ask just about any price they want.

http://www.navycompany.com/gear/hand_spear1.htm The company is selling Gatku spears. Their A model is selling for ¥67,000

http://www.expert-diving.co.jp/spear_top.htm this shop has some crazy prizes too.

Half way down their polespear page they have two listed at ¥250,000.

That original spear - judging by Google's fairly usable but quite funny automatic translation - looks good and sounds interesting: a handcrafted item, made of premium materials and refined with use. It is made entirely of carbon fibre with titanium fittings, I would think the latter might be an unnecessary extravagence (perhaps stainless steel would suffice or, if low weight is critical, a strong nylon-like plastic perhaps or anodized aluminium?) ; balance was apparently a significant consideration in the design.

"All our hand-harpoon is manufactured by hand of the store manager one by one by hand,
If there is no stock, we will have about 1 week delivery time.
Those who need to hurry up in expeditions etc. will be saved if you can hear as soon as possible.

In designing Falcon,
I tried dozens of prototypes and tests with my own hands and under the cooperation of trustworthy submissive fellows.

It is this Falcon that was born on that by calculating the buoyancy in water and the weight balance before and after. "

Lovely polespear (long, carbon and titanium, slip-tip), I want one but could not justify the cost, esp. plus delivery, plus import taxes here :(

I wounder if one could make one from a fishing pole blank and some off-the-shelf aluminium/stainless steel parts? Perhaps simpler just to buy one that has already been refined, field tested and proven! :D

Last edited:
Went for a dive Yesturday, August 23rd. The water visibility was probably the best I have ever had. Clear as, could even see snail tracks in the sand.
I will remember this day for a long time and the 4 fish made a good feed. I went in last week at the same spot and it was like soup, got 7 good fish though. I wont say anymore, here is a video I made. Pretty happy with it, I`m a first time gopro user.

Hello, i am in tokashiki island. After asking many times where i can spearfish with polespear, everyone said im not allowed. I want to leave tomorrow and try okinawa. Anyone knows where i can and if its allowed? Im American, not in army. I have all my gear. Anyone want to be my spearfishing buddy? Thanks.

Andrew

Sorry mate. I can`t help, never been there. You could try US based spearfishing forums. They are likely to have chaps that were based in Okinawa
who could point you in the right direction. But you are probably already there by the time you read this.
Myself am super lucky. We can use polespears here, the fishermen are used to me and the location in the video above is less than 10 mins from my door.
I hope you are able to find somewhere. Good luck.

Sorry mate. I can`t help, never been there. You could try US based spearfishing forums. They are likely to have chaps that were based in Okinawa
who could point you in the right direction. But you are probably already there by the time you read this.
Myself am super lucky. We can use polespears here, the fishermen are used to me and the location in the video above is less than 10 mins from my door.
I hope you are able to find somewhere. Good luck.
I appreciate the reply. I made do with what i had. Caught some good fish fry. Thanks

Here is a new Youtube movie I made with an easy recipe for Chinese steamed fish.

Please enjoy and try the recipe out.

I guess I’m late to the party, I’ve been out in japan for about 8 months and got some pretty decent fish

Attachments

• 5E3CC4DF-A154-4D03-A686-2041B5D34687.jpeg
    5E3CC4DF-A154-4D03-A686-2041B5D34687.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 341
  • ED2E4942-CADA-44EC-87C3-ECB60E08041D.jpeg
    ED2E4942-CADA-44EC-87C3-ECB60E08041D.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 405
  • DD6BC642-6CC0-4BF4-8410-309C964DAC8E.jpeg
    DD6BC642-6CC0-4BF4-8410-309C964DAC8E.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 353
  • B5E584E0-239E-4A00-9B56-8558E5D23C9C.jpeg
    B5E584E0-239E-4A00-9B56-8558E5D23C9C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 378
  • A380F365-5B43-49D3-BB72-CC0D533B148D.jpeg
    A380F365-5B43-49D3-BB72-CC0D533B148D.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 2ADF4835-6830-46D1-90C1-F19E0CE35FC6.jpeg
    2ADF4835-6830-46D1-90C1-F19E0CE35FC6.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 343
Nice fish mate. Where in Japan are you?
I mostly dive in Kanagawa preferecture, I went over to Izu once but the left overs from a typhoon made the conditions total shit, hoping to make it back over there though.

Nice video Monchan. Pole-spears seem popular, is that by choice or by law?

By law over here, no guns. Even pole spears are not allowed in prefectures over here.
I am lucky, we can and I am only a stones throw from my local dive spot.

I mostly dive in Kanagawa preferecture, I went over to Izu once but the left overs from a typhoon made the conditions total shit, hoping to make it back over there though.
You had anyone hassle you yet? Ive been spearing on the sea of japan side when visiting family, police come by now and then and make sure your not abalone diving but dont care about pole spearing. Rules are real gray it seems.

By law over here, no guns. Even pole spears are not allowed in prefectures over here.
I am lucky, we can and I am only a stones throw from my local dive spot.
They sell guns at a lot of dive shops here in Japan, is there maybe a special license required like hunting with firearms has?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT