• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Japanese Freediving Comic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gbo200

Aug 7, 2003
Not sure if people are aware of this very kewl website.

http://www.tanaka-akio.com/glaucos/english/top.html

Check it out. It is a fictional Japanese Freediving comic!
I have emailed the writer and hope to learn how to receive a subscription. If you are interested, email him too so he is encouraged and knows we want his product!

Has anyone seen an English version? Was it available at the Worlds in Vancouver?

g.

Reactions: DeepThought
I looked at the page, and seems to be a nice story (if we take out the warning of "neurological disorders" associated with freediving.

I believe people should avoid to use names that are similar to real persons (Ryuzo and Claude) the person can feel that is represented in the wrong way, and that always causes problems.

By the way Petite looks like Fred Buyle :)

Maybe a cross between Pipin and Fred? :D I wonder if Ryuzo is a common name in Japan as Pepe in Spanish or Joe in English. We should invite the author to DB.

Adrian

There are links in this site to Ryuzo Shinomiya's and Megumi Matsumoto's sites. Also a link to Tokyo's freediving club.
The writer is defenitly familier with freediving.

Maybe this comics could publish weekly on db site? :)
Would be very comfertable to us. :)

Very cool link 'gbo200'!:king

Maybe ask the guy at the bottom of the page from www.k10k.net to collaborate for some inspired madness ?!! (wolfmorgenthaler I think)

I think Petit looks like Kaz now he has no hair!

Good idea guys. I'll contact the authors and see if we can do something around this.

Stephan, could you imagine a comic based on the people in DB? :D It'd be a total laugh!!!

Adrian

yes

Stephan, could you imagine a comic based on the people in DB? It'd be a total laugh!!!

Yes that is truth he can get a lot of inspiration from people from deeperblue - tell him to post here -

It seems that the "ugly" characters get most attention than the "pretty" ones. No one had compare the protagonist...BTW what's his name?:confused:

uhhh Adrian..... My life IS a comic book.
ive been bestowed wonderous powers:
they let me get bonked on the head a bazilion times with no lasting damage.
i bounce off of cars and dont break.
i get completely destroyed on a regular basis, and its usualy in a way that would be funny.....
.....if it were just a made up story.

:p

So, the first Tanaka was finally printed in Europe too. The French publishing company Glénat released the first part of Glaucos by Akio Tanaka. At [ame="http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/2723455912/403-6946818-0709204?ie=UTF8&tag=apnbas-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1642&creativeASIN=2723455912"]Amazon.fr[/ame] it costs only 6.18€ (free shipping). Second part should be out soon too. EDIT: I just ordered it, so should have it in a day or two :)
[ame="http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/2723455912/403-6946818-0709204?ie=UTF8&tag=apnbas-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1642&creativeASIN=2723455912"]
9782723455916-V.jpg
[/ame] [ame="http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/2723456609/403-6946818-0709204?ie=UTF8&tag=apnbas-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1642&creativeASIN=2723456609"]
9782723456609-V.jpg
[/ame]

Last edited:
Today, I received the comics book. I was rather surprised - it is longer than I expected at the price. Well, the pages are not numbered, but I guess it has close to hundred pages, mostly with 5-8 image boxes each. It is almost all black & white though. The dialogues are quite spare and short, so even if you do not understand the language (this issue is in French), it is not difficult to understand the story. If someone is interested, I may scan and post a sample page - I do not think the authors or publishers would mind breaking the copyrights - finally it is for the promotional purpose.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT