• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

JBL 38-SPECIAL XHD Triple Sling vs. JBL Woody Sawed-Off Magnum Triple Sling Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sell66

May 8, 2008
I am not sure what to buy. My budget is up to $250, and i am looking for a gun that can be used for small to large fish. I've been spearfishing for about 6 months. I currently have a JBL D-7 and it's crap :head. What do you guys think about the ones I listed above?? Can you recommend something else? Thanks.

Re: JBL 38-SPECIAL XHD Triple Sling vs. JBL Woody Sawed-Off Magnum Triple Sling Spear

I recommend a HammerHead 75cm it will cost you $249. Awesome gun, accurate and quiet.

We offer a unique set of product for the serious spearo

I have several JBL's including a woody- The Problem they have is they punch a big hole. Great for Carp- But I don't recommend for smaller fish.

Also depends one what vis you are spearing in. If it's really clear might want to get a 90 or 100cm.

Last edited:
Re: JBL 38-SPECIAL XHD Triple Sling vs. JBL Woody Sawed-Off Magnum Triple Sling Spear

I don't recommend the JBL. I have a biller (very similar) and am currently modifying it to get rid of the slide ring assembly, modifying the muzzle, reriging the line, and changing the spear so that it will shoot faster and quieter (more like a riffe). Unless you're shooting thick fish in rocky murky water...the JBL/Billers are just not really all that well designed. <-- Personal Opinion

Get in touch with Eric Sun at sumora, official distributors of Rabitech and Rob Allen. He often has great deals on Rabitech railguns. Right now the Apex Tuna 150s are on sale for $280!! Also, the Hunter 100 is $195 and the Stealth 110 with Rabi reel and dyneema for $399.

Eric is also in California, so you will be close by if any customer service issue arises.

Last edited:

Here's some Damage done by a JBL 38 Special NW...In FRESH WATER!

Last edited:

I grew up with a JBL NW Special, it was clunky, loud, inaccurate, and had all the grace of a sewerpipe. but it slayed fish, lots of them. I kept myself fed, and while divemastering & instructing in the middle east, padded my income by selling my catch to local kitchens.

that being said I don;t think I would ever waste my money on one again.

you'd be much better served with a modern euro gun. they're in your budget and far more acurate and streamlined. I like Rob Allens, and get mine from Jimdoe2you, a member of this forum who owns a shop in florida.

Yea i think i'm going to go with a Rob Allen or Aimrite railgun. thanks for the tip.

Where do yo plan to dive? I looks as if your in LA so Im assuming that your target species might be sheephead, Yellowtail, seabass, calico bass, halibut? You might want to think hard about the type of diving you want to do before spending your wad on a gun. 75cm seems a little on the small side. You said your budget is 250$... Like Whopper said you can get Hammer Heads guns for pretty cheap. They are great guns too, already set up for maximum power and accuracy. Not to knock Rabtech, or Rob Allen guns, as they are some of the best on the market, but for your budget, should you choose more power and range, you will need to modify these guns. By this I mean add an open muzzle, and add a second band. Modifications on euroguns cost upwards of $150. With the hammer Head guns they are already set up like this with all the benifits a Euro gun has to offer.

I personally have a Riffe euro gun, 110cm (as the water is a bit clearer hear, and we arent stalking in the kelp) but a few of my buddies have HH and they swear by them. I would think that a 90 or a 100cm gun might be a good all around gun for california waters. It may take a while to get used to but atleast you wont out-grow the gun any time soon.

Just a little food for thought! Hope it helps

Aloha

P.S. If you take any advice from me at all... Dont spend that money on a JBL. Im sorry but from my experience, for what ever it means, they suck!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT