• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

JBL Super Carbine

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lmperez

Mar 22, 2005
Would you guys/girls recommend this gun for a beginner? It's 42 in. total I believe but it doesn't really have a easy function for loading. Its only attraction to me is the relatively cheap price. I'd hold off for a Riffe but since I'm still in college that may take me a looong time. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Go with an euro gun. You'll pay almost the same, but will be able to kill fish. JBL aren't well made. Tough, but not buoyant, innaccurate, too long and not powerfull bands, too big and too short shaft, noisy and not sensitive trigger, huge shooting line, slide ring,...

This is my point of view. Look for a Sporasub Aspicor Viper, or Beuchat. They are really cheap and can do very well. And if the money's yhere someday, you'll be able to modify them (bands, shaft, line, muzzle...)

You can't upgrade the power of a JBL. It'll shoot everywhere.

But again, it's my opinion and experiences

Milhouse couldent be more right!!!

I make it a point not to insult any gun manufacturer, as there are a lot of companies that i like. I however do not like a single thing about JBL guns. I have a JBL Carbine and since i don't scuba dive i hate the thing. I'm sure there okay (somewhat) for scuba divers. There shiney (a good thing i guess.. and the only one)lol. They don't float. There not neutraly boyant and there louder then an atom bomb when you fire them. There under powered for the shaft they use and ... i can go on..

I have a RIFFE Hawaiian Teak gun, a JBL Carbine and a Rabitech Stealth. I'v used Omer guns and a few other compaies. All are great.

Where do you hunt and what will you be using it for?

For your budget a good gun would be any of the euro guns really OMER (always great gear and guns) Sporasub (Good guns and good prices) If price is the main factor and you rstarting out, check out the Cressi Comanchie at www.spearfishinggear.com (good gun, great price i order a lot off of spearfishinggear, tell Matt there your situation and he'll do anything in his power to help you. Great guy. Wongs and Aimrite are great guns!, very expensive, but considering the lifetime warenty, well worth the price) Riffe is a very good gun like you said but not always the answer. There versatile and great but pricey. If you can check out the Rabitech or Rob Allen guns (I'm partial to the Rabitech) i think it's a great gun and a great price. It tracks like a dream, DEADLY accurate and versatile. You won't be dissapointed. check out www.sumora.com, they have a lot of railgun info on the site. or PM EEZerik here in the forums. He's the Rep.

Check out the Rabitech, OMER, Cressi, Sporasub, Picasso, Rob Allen and Wong\aimrite guns. You can't really go wrong with either one. In the end it comes down to what is best for you and your needs personally. Everyone is different. You can't go wrong with any of those brands really, especially if you want to stay cheap.

You will however probly more likley then not regret a JBL.. BIg Time. You'll use it for a while. Kill a few fish and want something else right after. All that money down the drain and nobody really wants to buy them used. There cheap, but you'll save money not buying one.. trust me. We'v all had our "JBL Times" though... i think everyone in here has had one at one point and will tell you the same thing.

-Mike... (will stop rambling.. can't sleep)

You guys just saved me

Thanks for the advice. I think my plan is to go to my diveshop and ask about the Omer, Sporasub, and a Rabitech and see what suits me more. I'm looking into just spearfishing at reefs and probably won't go any deeper than 60 ft. However, if I see a nice size grouper I want to be confident enough that I'll be able to get it with my gun. Thanks again for your advice.

NO Worries bro.

Check out www.spearfishinggear.com and www.sumora.com Spearfishing gear.com will usually be cheaper then any dive shop and Matt gives amazing customer service to anyone that calls and will help you. I'd focus more or less on OMER and Rabitech and the Cressi Comanchie. Sporasub is a good gun but make sure that you buy different bands, as i'v heard really bad things about the bands. Great guns though.

And like i said. check out www.sumora.com or PM EEzerik. He'll walk you through everything. He's a good honest guy. Infact he actually talked me out of getting the more expensive Carbon model, saying that for what i was using it for.. that it was unecessary. In my Opinion you'll be much happier with the Rabitech out of all of them (around same price as the rest) but you can't go wrong with either. You may hate one on sight, lol. never know.

the Carbine series are very low end guns, even for a beginner. I would spend a little more and get a true Euro gun (I like the Omer, Rob allen and Beauchat vintages).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT