• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

jelly fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearheads

Matt H
Dec 18, 2005
when ever im spearfishing im all ways looking out for jelly fish and when i see one i totally panick is any one else like this i realy wish i did nt have i fear of them. The viz were i am does nt help as you will be diving down and you will go face first into one i hate them so much. Am i the only one like this.

no idea about the threads, maybe u clicked on the post thread button 3 times? anyways, i think we all keep an eye out for them, ive never had any while diving, but a lot of small bluebottles while surfing/bodysurfing, and a portugese man-o-war while sub-surfing, which really sucked, actually my shoulder is still bearing the scars from that.. anyways, dive when the water is clearer

I have been stung a couple of times on the face and that was a little nasty but tbh that was when I was putting in 20+hrs per week diving.
If you are really worried about getting hit wear a nylon stocking over your face.
That will prevent the stings from getting to you.
http://www.youtube.com/?v=GtS_bHYft1M
have a look at this vid

wow it still burns today i hope i never bumb into onerofl

Hi spearheads...

You have to identify the jellyfish that is usual to find where u dive. Here in the mexican pacific and specially on the spots that I like to go fishing I ALWAYS get a few stings and sometimes a lot but is like getting biten by a small red ant (Not fire ants!) and sometimes like a bee sting. It's more annoying than painfull, but if as soon as you get out the water you sprinkle some vinegar (Or pee!!!!) on your skin, and you don't scratch. It's like nothing has happened, but if you cannot resist to scratch It'll look and feel as if you were attacked by an hysterical mosquito grouprofl ... But nothing else. And there are many species that don't sting at all (Sometimes I go fishing and my sissy ass friends (They call themselves smart and non masochist men) let me down because there is a huge layer of jellyfish , maybe 5 or 8 for each square foot and I have to spearfish alone) but 99% of them are harmless (Of course I cannot escape from the annoying 1%:head ). Do some research and wear something, the stinger is so small that it cannot pass thru a simple lycra or spandex suit... I hate any kind of suit and so far I prefer to go just with a swimsuit, but my friends use spandex surfing shirts(The water is always warm) and they do fine.
But as I told you, do some research, because there are some mean and dangerous species, you don't want to cross the path of an Irukanji or a sea wasp... :crutch

Ok, my two cents on the subject... Best wishes, enjoy and relax man!!!

always pack some white vinigar on trips to jelly infested area's, it;s instant relief from the burn.

above all else never scratch the burn site or pour fresh water on it. it will only make it worse.

I dive Torquay a lot and haven't had any problems. They do startle you though when you turn your head and they're in your face! In the uk, with a full wetsuit (even surf suit with hood) the sting shouldn't penetrate it. Your lips are the only exposed parts that may suffer though.

I've not come across a huge number of them in Torbay and I don't think we suffer from really dangerous species over here in the UK. More worried about boat traffic in Torquay, all you can hear in the summer is the buzzing of outboards when your head's down, even if they're a mile off.

i know there is loads of boat traffic does the uk get any dangerous jelly fish or not

Yes, Lions mane jellies will give you a good sting, Compass can also give a whack.
But the very worst is a clear jelly that can wrap around a shotline or your float line and you won't even see it.
I had this twice in the last 4 years and each time it came up like a cold sore on my face, took about 2 weeks to go away.
I really wish I had carried Vinegar with me or simply made a ring of Neoprene that slipped over the snorkel mouthpiece and protected the side of my lip that was exposed.

I've been stung by the box jelly and portugese man of war we have in hawaii quite a few times...both are awful sob's i tell you. Vinegar and meat tenderizer helps, but you will just have to wait till the burning and pain stops in a few hours. If you have a full wetsuit, you dont really have to worry about getting stung...only your face is vulnerable (which i have had box jellies latch a few tentacles onto). :rcard

That thing is huge does anybody know what type it is? It looks like it could probably paralyze you if you get stung by that succer!

I was swimming throught weed about 80meters off shore trying to get out to my dive location and i got a really sudden sharp pain accross my lips,chin and cheek. I couldnt see any jellys, and the weed was just standard kelp. The pain died off after a day or so, but i was always puzzled about what it was. At the time i thught it could have been a sting from a jelly, that had ripped off and got tangled in the weed. Do you think it could be one of those clear jellies that Huan was talking about?

Cheers
Huw

deep thinker said:
That thing is huge does anybody know what type it is? It looks like it could probably paralyze you if you get stung by that succer!

Yes, it's an "asskickerusmentoboyerusholygodderus"

These I have seen on a few scuba dives, always in a small sandy patch between some reef. We are generally fully kitted up in 7 or 5mm suits so I have never been stung. This is in South Africa and I don't think it is the real dreaded box jelly you have in Aus.

Attachments

• box jelly.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 165
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…