• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Jersey 2007 spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

huntermark

huntermark
May 6, 2007
Here goes starting new thread for jersey channel islands spearfishing 2007.

Vis looks like its starting to clear :) - going in soon - how about you?

mark

hi all went in yesterday east coast - vis not bad 15ft or so within 20 minutes I saw 4 small bass around edge of low reef - encouraging - swam across over sand to another boulder weed and reef area - on the way saw one bass pos - 2 half pounds tempted but left him alone - in much closer up saw a loner speared my first bass of the season 3lb and did he go well - had some probs with my new gear - I must of lost weight as I HAD PROBLEMS getting down not enough weight on belt 27lbs - new mask leaking annoyingly in bottom of nose area - prob due to my old wet suit hood too tight around my mask -
apart from that great to get in !
mark

Reactions: Magpie
Nicely dione mate.

27 not enough! I use 28 at times in the shallows and thought I was pretty heavy!
What suit is that with?

Hi Guys 27-28lb is very heavy for the shallows... l only use 20-21lb for the shallows and deep..Was in with you Mark yday, saw 6-7 small bass and a couple of mackerel. Didn`t shoot anything was looking for a bass for the bbq

Nicely dione mate.

27 not enough! I use 28 at times in the shallows and thought I was pretty heavy!
What suit is that with?
thanks mate
Its an old mares wet suit roughly 12 years old not sure on thickness prob 6.5mm it also has some damn air pockets oops - time i got a new wet suit :confused: me reckons this suit like a human air ballistic :mad:
cheers
mark

Yep went in yesterday evening another east coast mark vis reasonably good saw a few small bass and pollack - swam out between narrow gutter two bass about 2 - 3lb tryed to decide which one was the biggest moved in on him but he decided to start moving and me follow oh heck should have taken that shot sooner hes heading into da jap weed theres a tail now hes gone damn - oh well good for him - o.k. swim over reefs much wider gutter some loose boulders looks good here but no life continue very quiet and half hour or so later just swimmin along with no care in da world then oh sh** THERES ONE HE LOOK A GOOD 5LB go for it got em hes long and slim but weighed in at nearly 4lb - starting to get choppy over low reefs uncomfortable - head back and out -
love it
mark

Well done mate, keep the reports up, if you write it, they will come!

Well done mate, keep the reports up, if you write it, they will come!
Thanks for the reply I will keep posting here and occasionally in the guernsey thread - may not be in for about a week now will see what the weather has in store for us ? :confused: as it still seems very unsettled out there - the wind is switching directions too much !

may post some of my best experiences spearfishing in the past here sometime ? how can I attach a photo on here ?
mark

It may take a while mate but keep at it and your thread will gain users, slowly.

Might also be worth printing up some little business card type things with the site name and address on and asking the boys in Apnea if they could hand them out to anyone who comes in buying spearing gear. They seemed very freindly when I was there.

To post a pic you need to be in the advanced reply part (just click "post reply" rather than using the quick reply box. Then click on the Insert Image button (mountain with yellow background), and select the picture from your computer using the Browse box. Upload it, and roberts your mothers brother.

Or you can upload it to your own webspace and link to it from there but thats a bit more complicated.

It may take a while mate but keep at it and your thread will gain users, slowly.

Might also be worth printing up some little business card type things with the site name and address on and asking the boys in Apnea if they could hand them out to anyone who comes in buying spearing gear. They seemed very freindly when I was there.

To post a pic you need to be in the advanced reply part (just click "post reply" rather than using the quick reply box. Then click on the Insert Image button (mountain with yellow background), and select the picture from your computer using the Browse box. Upload it, and roberts your mothers brother.

Or you can upload it to your own webspace and link to it from there but thats a bit more complicated.
thanks mate I see how can place picture in here only thing is I will have to take a digital picture from a photograph will give it a go and must remember to take a digital camera on my trips in future in case I spear something decent
all the best :)
mark

Post first picture funny one here goes rofl

Attachments

• sharkfishing.jpeg
    sharkfishing.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 281
Hi all spearos just received an email from neil haworth social dive at 1.30pm tommorow sunday meeting at la mare slipway
mark :)

hi all went in yesterday east coast - vis not bad 15ft or so within 20 minutes I saw 4 small bass around edge of low reef - encouraging - swam across over sand to another boulder weed and reef area - on the way saw one bass pos - 2 half pounds tempted but left him alone - in much closer up saw a loner speared my first bass of the season 3lb and did he go well - had some probs with my new gear - I must of lost weight as I HAD PROBLEMS getting down not enough weight on belt 27lbs - new mask leaking annoyingly in bottom of nose area - prob due to my old wet suit hood too tight around my mask -
apart from that great to get in !
mark

Sorry I'm confused. Why are you trying to spear 4lb bass? Your talking about reef. There is no reef in Jersey.

I'm guessing from your username and reply you are from New Jersey, US. This is the location you are named after, Jersey, an Island in the English Channel, not far from France.

The bass there are a different species to your stripped bass and a 4lbs fish is a nice size for one.

There are plenty of reefs around Jersey, in fact the whole place is pretty much one big reef!

Reactions: Jonny250
Hey

Haven't been able to get in much. Had some sinus probs which gave me evil headaches behind my eye brows. Got antibiotics and a steriod spray and been on it for about 10 days, need to take them for 8 wks.

Went out for a quick dive on the east coast last night. Was a bit late for the tide but the sinuses were fine on the deeper dives so thats a relief. Was pretty murky (8 ft ish) and didn't see any fish. Still the main idea was to test the sinuses (that was what I told the wife any way).

Got the outlaws over this week and away at the weekend so hopefully the conditions will be good for next week.

Hey

Haven't been able to get in much. Had some sinus probs which gave me evil headaches behind my eye brows. Got antibiotics and a steriod spray and been on it for about 10 days, need to take them for 8 wks.

Went out for a quick dive on the east coast last night. Was a bit late for the tide but the sinuses were fine on the deeper dives so thats a relief. Was pretty murky (8 ft ish) and didn't see any fish. Still the main idea was to test the sinuses (that was what I told the wife any way).

Got the outlaws over this week and away at the weekend so hopefully the conditions will be good for next week.
hi hope your o.k. I might go in one night next week sometime don't know if any flattys in yet? hope weather holds out so bad this summer - hot today sunshine at least thats encouraging :)
mark

Hi Mark

Was up on the north coast cliff paths last night and the water was looking pretty clear. Planning on getting in on Saturday once our visitors are gone, hope the dodgy weather forecast over the next few days doesn't stir things up too much!

cheers
Mark

Anyone been in recently?
Tried La Hocq yesterday. Fair few smallish bass (2-3lb) in the jap weed, some HUGE sting ray and also some trigger fish. Only got 1 bass. Vis not bad. Pretty good dive all in all.
Cheers, Weeto.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT