• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Jet Ski setup?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Darryll

Mar 16, 2011
Hi Folks...
Having just moved to Panama City, Panama and finding myself beached with crap viz and a few other issues...I have been researching spearing from a jetski and have seen various set-ups but still trying to get more info, first hand......

For practical reasons, it seems unlikely I will be able to get a boat...
  • The majority of vehicles in Panama are very badly looked after...cars, boats etc and seldom come with any kind of documentation...and are very expensive/overpriced...
  • There are only 3 marinas in Panama and they want USD 30-40K membership....
  • Boat parking as is stupidly expensive and hard to find...no chance of getting a mooring due to cost...
  • traffic/drivers/roads here are not great to say the least so want to be mobile and flexible
  • etc
Going to ask some basic questions here...please don't confuse them with ignorance but rather I want to look at any pitfalls and safety issues that I might not have thought of....I am fully aware of the risks diving alone etc etc.

Questions:

1. Anyone with experience of diving from a ski? Setup? Anchor - safety line from ski to diver?
  2. Tips?
  3. Any major cons?
Looking at a basic jet ski with no "fishing trimmings"... so will need to sort this myself...ideas? Was thinking of trailering a small inflatable behind for gear etc...

Seems likely, I'll be on my own....(I know the safety bit here, but I don't have a buddy here yet..etc etc...)

Thanks for any links, comments, advice...
Happy hunting!

I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience with jet skis- I have a boat. But at least I can tell you that in Southern California, quite a few divers use jet skis with a lot of success. I know of guys going 50 miles offshore hunting tuna.

At least twice, when I arrived at one of my favorite kelp beds I found that a guy with a jet ski was anchored there and already fighting a big fish. I invited him to bring his fish aboard for weighing and for photographs, and then sent him on his way with an admonition to stay off my spots in the future.:)

The guys diving coastal waters definitely use anchors, but of course those offshore do not. I don't know of any using a safety line from ski to diver, but it may well be done.

The guys who do this advise carrying waterproof GPS and VHF radios.

Many of them drag some sort of sled on which they put a cooler and other stuff.

I wish that the guys who use skis were on this board, but they aren't.

Thx for the reply Bill!
Much appreciated.
Was thinking of mounting a gps/fishfinder...but the VHF radio is a great tip...going to look into that.

Watched a few clips on YouTube where guys are not anchored or attached to the ski...could prove fatal if alone and the wind suddenly picks up...might just have to stick closer to islands or in a spot where I can anchor reasonably well.

Thanks again...certainly looks like I'll be heading this way...
Happy & safe hunting,
Darryll

I know a guy who jetskis to spear in the atlantic coastal waters. He always goes out with a buddy, two jetskis, so one can tow the other back if there is trouble. Also, be sure your VHF radio is strong enough to cover the distances you will be traveling. Having a mounted vertical antenna instead of just handheld will greatly improve distance.

The jetski in the video is pretty big, like a small RIB.

I believe young spearo matt in Torbay got a jetski for spearing, I think he was looking for a sit-on kayak & was offered it cheap at the start of the banking recession. Don't recall seeing him post on it though.

Lots of the Hawaii guys use a rescue sled and attach the cooler or fish bag to that and mount their guns behind the ski but they use a two or three person ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT