• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Just get me there

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mac

Nov 3, 2001
I only learned to scuba dive this summer, and fell more in love with freediving in the interims between. It's something I want to attack, bury myself in, and want to start doing that asap. I'll try and find friends and training partners when the oppurtunity and the weather allows (CT resident: indoor pools until May), but for now I just want somebody to show me where those who know go.
-What books to read
-When Kirk Krak(?) offer's training session's and how to acquire info
-Where the world's best freediving sites are; national, international, martian. It may take time, and the money, but as long as I know I'll be closer to the place than I was before

I appreciate any help offered. I'm going back to school after nearly a year away from the books, and all else that comes with college. I missed my first water polo season in 5 years this fall, and of all the things I keep getting excited about, it's a chance to have unlimited access to the pool that keeps building the anticipation. Help me out guys. Thanks.
Mac

Hi Mac, welcome. First of all, this IS the world's best freedive site. In the archives you will find tons of info. For other sites, I'll list some off the top of my head... www.freediver.co.uk , which also has a good hardcopy mag you should subscribe to. www.freedivehawaii.com is an excellent site. www.freedive.net is the Terry Maas site...very good, and will allow you to order his books, which are a good idea to have. Tanya's site is www.redefineyourlimits.com , I think. www.freedive.at is good. www.freediver.net is THE spearfishing site, and you can get on the online email list...lots of good info there.
For gear, check out Picasso at www.picassoamerica.com and OMER at www.spearfishing.com . There are others, but I'm drawing a blank right now.
To get a hold of Kirk, look at www.performancefreediving.com .
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Just got here

Hi Mac you have just found what you obvously were looking for, this site contains information for years to practise, so all you need to do is read these threads and perhaps ask some guestions after that.. ;) Wellcome to freediveing world.:t
As soon as possible...you should find a buddy..then go to training so we can have you around for longer:eek:
You should read about safety, where you will find out about the importance of buddy and proper safety procedures..
have nice reading..:)

Books and such

Mac, Terry Maas's books on Freediving and Blue Water Hunting are a must. Carlos Eyles, The Last of Blue Water Hunters may create strong urges in you to sell everything and buy a boat so read with caution. For a comprehensive history, from one man's perspective, get Mayol's Homo Dolphenus The Dolphin Within Man (this one is a bit spending but I found out all sorts of cool stuff reading it). For spiritual inspiration get The Blue. And Pekka's advice is spot on. Go back and read the different threads from the beginning, there is a wealth of information in these forums from some of the top Freedivers in the world as well as wide range of experiences from some very smart folks.

Oh yes, one more thing. You must go out right away and purchase a copy of "The Big Blue: Director's Cut" ;) The American release is nice too; I prefer the music, but the director's cut is a better movie, with lots more diving in it as well.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Directors Cut?

For real a new release of the Big Blue with more diving? I have not been able to find the Big Blue in video stores for the past year. Are the new diving scenes cut into the movie or just added to the video? Warmly, Angus

Hello old friend, there is indeed a different version. It is 49 minutes longer, and I think it may be the version they got in France when it first came out. There is even a scene where Enzo and Jacques go commercial diving off an oil rig!
I got my copy at a large music store...I'm sure you could get one sent in if it's not on the shelf.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Reactions: Angus
Love It

I bought the Big Blue Directors Cut a while ago and love it...I've converted some of my non-diving friends with the film as well.

If you can't find it in the shops you can buy it from Amazon.com here:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TJK2/ref%3Dnosim/dteassociates/107-2331461-4162155]Big Blue VHS[/ame]
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TWZF/ref%3Dnosim/dteassociates/107-2331461-4162155]Big Blue DVD[/ame]

The scene with the Commercial Diving is very funny...but then again the whole thing is just brilliant.

I've also just bought the Jacques Mayol "Homo Delphinus" book (it hurt my wallet a bit at $75) and will be reviewing it within the next couple of weeks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT