• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Just Got a House in Kona, Freedivers Welcome

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lungfish

Go and do it
Sep 5, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I have posted this around the forum just make certain everyone gets a chance....

For the last couple of years I have been visiting the Kona coast and have enjoyed it immensely. I have met some freedivers there and I recently realized that I want to spend more time there training and practicing. Further I thought it would be fun to be able to invite speargunners and freedivers (and others) to come and visit as well. In this way I could enjoy the freediving community while training and hunting myself.

So, in pursuit of that vision, I have leased a large house on the Kona coast, 20 minutes South of Kona and less than 15minutes from Kealakakua Bay/Captain Cook and Honaunau (Place of Refuge).

www.letsgo-hawaii.com/snorkeling/kona.html
Click on the links to see nice pics....

It is a five bedroom, 3000sqft home with all the amenities. Fully furnished.
I leased it for the purpose of having a base to freedive from while in HI (I live and work in the San Francisco Bay Area).

I am not interested in running a B&B or hotel but I would like to get some help with the rent bill from visiting guests (The lease on the house is $5000 a month). Most hotels and B&Bs in the area run $100-$250 a night and up. I will ask for about $300 a week (which is less than half of most similar stays and the house is quite luxurious) but I am very negotiable - so talk to me -like I said, I am not running a hotel. I am trying to make friends and create opportunities for adventure.....

If you really want to put in a longer training session, I am certainly willing to entertain short-term share-rentals for $1000 a month, again, I am negotiable. I am only seeking help with the lease, not a profit.

It would be really nice to have people like you come and visit and dive, there is a lot to see and do and we all will learn something from each other.

The location is prime, the diving is wonderful. Dolphins, turtles, coral and every kind of sea critter is within 10minutes from the front door. Water is blue, viz - 25-35meters, temp 79degrees to 250ft....and did I mention its blue?????Fruit trees on the property, basketball court, BBQ - a climate so temperate that the house has neither a heating or a cooling unit.....

There is a full kitchen and all familiar retail outlets nearby. Also, you can certainly manage this on the cheap and ship some food and supplies ahead of time, I do it myself.

Speargunning: Marlin, Tuna, Ono, Wahoo, Mahi-Mahi, Ulua, Reef Fish, ..... Kona is a world class destination for trophy hunters. I have encountered Marlin in Kealakakua Bay, in 90ft of water less than 100meters from shore..... There are spearfishing charters and I may have some connections for boats and local people....Four mile road and Two Step are about 15minutes from the front door....

Of course, I expect to have some fish in the freezer (or we can eat yours : ))

Performance Freediving.com Courses in Kona: For those of you that are taking Performance Freediving courses in Kona, contact me.....

The lease opens May 8 and I will have it until at least Nov. 1

AirFares:
Flights to Kona are very cheap from San Francisco and LA - if you are planning a trip, contact me, I have a lot of experience finding really cheap airfares.... The least expensive connections are through Hawaiian Air, Hawaiian Sun Vacations, etc.... and average $299 - I have seen short term offers as low as $217 but $299-$399RT from San Francisco or LA is about right....

I am shipping a car there but I suggest that you rent one for independance, there is plenty of parking at the house.

If you are interested and want pics, just ask.

All of the attached pics were taken at Honaunau (with a disposable camera!!)....

Looking forward to meeting some of you! Come and train!

Lungfish
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• 2Wanna Go Swimmin....jpg
    2Wanna Go Swimmin....jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Spinners with toy.jpg
    Spinners with toy.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Honu1.jpg
    Honu1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Lifeguards.jpg
    Lifeguards.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Spnner2.jpg
    Spnner2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: Mr. X
Hell of a nice chap!:) Hope you get plenty of contacts. I think in coming years I hope someone like you is still spreading a bit of this deeperblue spirit, and I can get to Hawaii:cool:

Regards

Thanks SurfnSpear,
Freedivers are a unique bunch who will get up and go if given half a reason to. I am that way myself. So, it seems like a good idea. I have had a lot of good responses, I expect some committments at some point.
I think fun and community and social opportunities are important and worth investing in...
Anyway, I will probably maintain either this place or another one so make a plan and come swimming. I have seen Marlin within 100meters of shore in 90ft of water....
Lungfish

Hey Lungfish,

You have extended a very generous offer! I am going to take a trip to Hawaii in the spring/early summer to spearfish and do photography. I wasn't planning on going to Kona but your offer has made me consider changing my plans. My roomates on college were all Hawaiian so I am planning on visiting them as well as meet up with Daryl Wong to do some spearing. I am a full time photographer and just ordered a really nice housing for one of my cameras and I am excited to do some underwater stuff in clear water (its pretty murky in Santa Barbara). Anyways if my schedule works out with yours Id like to take you up on your offer.

Thanks in advance,
matt mccalla

Hi Matt,
There are some great photo ops on the Kona coast and other places on the Big Island as well. I am looking forward to exploring more, myself. I have seen water so clear in Honaunau that the dolphins looked like they were flying - not all the time but every now and then it gets really, really clear.

You are certainly welcome. I will say that the sooner you have a date in mind the better because I am getting a strong response to this opportunity....did you plan on coming alone or are you bringing a guest?

I would enjoy talking with you more about photography.

There is also a gathering of freedivers every Sunday at Honaunau if you are looking for subjects. I am on social terms with Rob White over at Blue Water Hunter, another nice guy and crazy spearo... www.bluewaterhunter.com

Lets talk more... I will pm you with my email address. That way I can send you some pics of the place.

Hey Lungfish

That sounds like a fantastic place you have there and an even better offer.
Im just getting started spearfishing / free diving in New Zealand but where im from there isn't a huge following but im doing a course at the mo and intend to do plenty of diving in the next few months providing i can find a dive buddy.I was hoping to have a diving holiday before the end of the year and Kona sounds like a great place to start. Will your place still be on offer till the end of the year or is it more short term?

Cheers.

Sounds like a fabulous opportunity for all. I have been considering making my way to the area for a while now, and feel it is getting closer. I will definately keep your generous offer in mind and you can count on hearing from me in the (hopefully near) future.

Cheers,

Tyler

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT