• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kayak Diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Poida

Feb 9, 2004
I have just entered the world of Kayak diving after purchasing myself a Diveyak and would like to hear from people experienced in the stupidity of paddling a little craft out to sea.

What do you do with your anchor rope? On a boat you lay the rope out in a figure eight so it doesn't tangle, not possible on a kayak. I thought maybe a hand held fishing line holder or a piece of broomstick with the line wrapped around. Some suggestions please.

I use a Dive Rite wreck reel. That way I can let out however much line I want and take it up just as fast.

Since I have it marked off every 10' with knots, and color-coating, I can also use it to find out how deep of water I am in before I dive.

I use a small, folding, anchor if on a rocky reef, or just swim down and tie the end off to a wreck if that's what I am diving.

Jon

Thanks Jon
I'll do a search on the Dive Rite Wreck Reel, but as I am in Western Australia it may not be sold here.
I also decided to tie knots in my ahchor rope, but the first knot is at 10 metres and every metre after that. Mind you when it got tangled I had a knot every few inches.
Cheers

IF your going to use an anchor rope I would suggest using a small mesh stuff sack. The line will come out very easily, if you don't have any knots in it, and you can restuff it without too much trouble. It will work with the system you have now, just make it neater, and all you need to do is buy a meash stuff sack from a dive shop.

jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT