• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

kayaks?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks guys i did use the search tab to see if i could find anything relevant first, might just use my current anchor with daves bungee suggestion and see how i get on

cheers rob

Interesting idea. Sounds a bit like a "cow-tail", used for big-wall climbing (usually with a fifi-hook). Basically either a long piece of thick accessory cord, doubled and knotted every 6" or so - or a tape specifically sewn with regular loops for the purpose. The idea for climbing is that you can quickly adjust the "active" length of the cow-tail. But I guess you could also use it to clip gear at regular intervals. (Or perhaps you just have a bunch of clips on a single loop?).

Any of you kayak users bother with chain on your anchors?
I fitted an old chain & swivel that I took off a massive old shark hook that I got in a car-boot sale, simply because I had it hanging around and it seemed ideal for the purpose. But I haven't used it, so can't comment on its efficacy. I believe the idea is that it helps the anchor line hang if the correct/preferred way; it reinforces the end considerably too.

From what I can gather, most kayakers don't bother (extra: weight, bulk, cost). I also bought some pretty fancy rope (for a good price) but in hindsight it's probably too good/thick for a kayak (foxfish recommends thick ropes - easier to handle). I suspect some kayakers just use a thick, strong para-cord - some of the mil-spec stuff is quite strong. However, I now have some inexpensive, v. stiff, easy-to-see yellow polypropylene rope - about twice as thick as para-cord - which I think came free with my dive float; seems like a happy medium.

BTW Dave, I reckon clove-hitches can slip a bit (one knot website I looked at claimed the clove-hitch is good for nothing and that there is always a better knot) - but that's often not a bad thing as it can absorb a little shock. We used them all the time for climbing belays (i.e. quick, life-critical tie-ins).

Last edited:
If it will be literally just used for anchoring up and eating your bacon butty there would be no problem with using even your drop weight. I use a 0.7kg weight and chain with a 10 metre if there is a slight breeze.

I never fish without being attached to my kayak as with Jonny, it just isnt an option for me but if I did, I would not risk anchoring on a short piece of rope in any condition. Just isn't worth it

that looks good Mr X.
I often tie my dive bouy to the kelp, so this looks like a quick easy solution. I'm sure its possible to make 1 easily. Do you think its formed cold or hot? Stainless steel or aluminium?

I use very similar, not just for kelp but for tying off to pot bobbers, very quick an easy. You can get them cheap here: http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/ (site doesn't seem to be working at the moment but I'm sure it'll be back, I've used them loads of times).

You certainly don't need chain on an anchor, kayaks take very little anchoring. I use a 2lbs diving weight with a couple of bits of wire poking out of it, with a second 2lbs weight I can clip on if I need more holding in deeper water or strong rips.

Also, you really don't need a thick line. I use 3mm line on a diving reel and its easily strong enough, anything thicker more just takes up too much room and makes it harder to keep the recommended 3 times the depth neat and tidy.

Cheers.. website is working and found the item 'Tree Anchor' for Kayaks/Boats

Bargain! i will def. order 1.

I to use 3mm dive line to anchor my yak, but use a heavy anchor. I think in practice you need very little, but I find if I use a small anchor I cant relax and constantly checking the yak expecting it to be floating away! I prefer to put in a safety factor to help relax on my dives.

Maybe a bit of syphon tube over the last 1m of your 3mm line will protect from any abrasion if that is what the metal chain is for.

Ha ha, posted at the same time. Good point about the confidence, I'm always looking back to make sure the boats not gone anywhere when I abandon it and go mooching.

Good idea with the tube, could also just tie on meter or two of thicker line.

I always thought the chain was to help the anchor keep on the bottom and take the beating from the reef?

Heres a simple setup with a short chain and float. that I found on the anglersafloat website I like the use of the reel as it'll keeps the deck clear of rope.

AnglersAfloat - Login

Any of you guys got pics of your yaks? always good to check out other rigs

Here's some random pics of mine, with full anchor trolley, along the side (it's red so you can't see it that well). I don't think anchor trolleys have been mentioned so far. It is a loop of thin rope along one side of your yak on pulleys at either end. There is a large carabiner half way along the line.

You pull the loop so the carabiner is next to you in your seat, then clip your anchor line so it runs through it. Then you can pull the looped line around the pulleys to move the carabiner to the bow or stern. That means the anchor line is effectively coming off a pointy end of your yak and not sitting amidships, which is a very bad idea in any tide.

They're more of a fishing than a diving thing but useful none the less. Anyway, here's the pics:

Attachments

• inwater.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 177
  • P1010504.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 175
  • success.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 164
  • P1010492.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 169
I have a question for all the Kayak pros here on the board:
I just bought a Kayak and I am wondering how to deal with the wetsuit situation:
I have an already pretty stiff 5mm 2 piece open cell wetsuit and I don't like
the idea of getting the wetsuit on sitting on the Kayak, using soap etc.
I want to dive the mediterranean in september. Elios offered me a 1 piece
wetsuit, zipper in front that should be easy to get on and off even on the water.
On the other hand i think that a standard 3mm wetsuit that I keep on all the time might be ok, or do you think it's getting too hot if you paddeling for a longer time?
Greetings
Sebastian

I wear the wetsuit while i paddle out. it will get hot and you need to consider hydration during winter where it gets to 7 celcius. in the summer, its currently around 52 celcius, so a lyrca rashguard is more effective.

If it gets too cold get in the water with the hood off and let a little water in your suit. carefull when you do this. there is nothing worse that having a jellyfish sneak in there. taht will seriously mess up your dive.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…