• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kevlar .vs. Carbon Fiber...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,

We all know that using composite materials especially at euro style guns over 100cm gives brilliant results.

But what about the difference between Kevlar and Carbon??
Could one of them has a significant advantage over other??

Okay lets see your thoughts and experiences...

all I know is that kevlar is supposed to be better for abrasion and impact.
carbon is made to be stiff and strong.

so do kevlar have weakness in barrel stiffness? Its an advanced composite in some areas like fire resistance, impact but I really dont know which material is better...

I don't know the exact answer but i saw carbon, kevlar, graphite spearguns here. IMO the carbon looks so much better. Carbon is the latest tech. in euro guns. Did you notice there is not much kevlar and graphite guns around after the carbons. There should be reason for this. Altough i see one of my friend using graphite OMER gun ( it was master 2000 ) and has lots of scratch on it. But for kevlars, i don't know how is their's resistance aginst rock.

BTW, Did you found kevlar gun? You better decide about gun before season gone;) or you get wetsuit too:hmm

Well, I've just entered my exam season this week :( so a hunting trip is not option until november... and I found a gun and could buy it in the next week but I'm still searching for new options. anyway I'm always ready for a dive as my old equipment is still standing in the shelf.... I just look for new pieces.

I think the slightly high price of the kevlar guns may influence their popularity on market. and maybe there maybe some manufacturing deficiencies in kevlar guns as kevlar is a very strong material (which makes it hard to work on). But there is no doubt that kevlar is strong as all racing teams and military chooses it over carbon...

But I am really curious if it could bring advantage over carbon in our business...

I don't think quality and manufacturing process of kevlar in military purposes like armors in Counter Strike;) is in same class with kevlar speargun tubes:hmm.

BTW i thought all racing applications uses fiberglass or carbonfiber. I did not heard about kevlar usage in race applications...

You are asking about the Picasso Century I take it?

Not sure about the difference other than the price. I got the carbon and covered the barrel with black duct tape for protection. If it gets scratched take the tape off and put a neww piece on.

My $0.02

thats a nice trick shane...

Murat all top rally teams use kevlar equipment at the parts that are subject to strain but use CF at the parts which are stationary.
Today you cant see CF seat in a WRC team but all other originally plastic material are made up of CF (like dashboard, door sills....)

I heard about the fact that kevlar does not like water that much!
It appears that water seeps into the fibers of the material...

My $0.02

@+
Jeff

It may not be an option I think, both CF and Kevlar are moulded with the epoxy resin which gave them their rigidity... But who knowss....

I saw picasso century kevlar. And now they are in sales ;) 100cm for 150euro.

there is a huge discount in picasso Turkey in some of the products..

I have kept my Picasso gun exactly as it came from the shop. I have vowed not to adapt it as I always end up with a worse gun than I started. Might go for the new 21mm bands next though ;)

If you can afford it buy it. They are very good guns. Really sensitive trigger mech need a little getting used to but you won't like the harder ones when you have.

Then 150 euro is good deal;)

Can you send me the discount prices of picasso via the pm?

BTW ask them if they have Torelli Railgun in stock. If not ask them if they can import one with special order.

Murat you have pm..

I'll ask them if they have any. The next party of goods will enter Turkey in april. Thats what they have said to me yesterday..

shane, they dont have any 100+cm guns in stock unfortunately... But I' ganna buy a 75 from them.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT