• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Keys trip - Islamorada

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RIphish

Sep 4, 2002
I'm going to Islamorada - March 5-9 and I was looking for some information on spearfishing opportunities while I'm there. Can anyone help with suggestions? Thanks.
Staying at the Cheeca and I can bring all of my equipment or none of it depending on what is available for use there.

I love the keys in the spring. I like to dive over the wrecks. In march there should be good numbers of amberjack cruising them and if you can make it to the deck you will find the usual suspects...cuberas, black grouper, muttons, ect. You also stand a good chance at spotting a wahoo or two cruising by if the wrecks are deeper than 100'.

You can always find some good reef and hunt that.

Check on lobster season...I think its still open in March.

Thanks - more specifically I am trying to locate a person or place that I can contact there in order to get some information or make a reservation or plan for a spearfishing trip. I am certified in scuba but don't plan on doing it - I usually only freedive/spearfish here in RI. Right now my plan is to take my mask, snorkel, and fins with me - use a kayak from the resort that I am staying and paddle out to some random places. (Not a very good plan I know) That's why I'm looking for some more guidance.

I don't think you can get anything decent from shore. In addition, spearfishing is illegal within three miles from shore down to Long Key. It is hard to find an operator who is spearo-friendly in the Keys. I would advise you to rent a boat from Cheeca or another local marina and take it outside the 3 mile mark and look for color change/patch reefs. A lot of those areas are pretty shallow (less than 30 fsw). You can also try the ledge (drop-off) or the wrecks. Here's the Keys wrecks GPS list . Punch the areas that are close to Islamorada. It will cost you about $200 for the day and you won't have to clean to boat at the end. Bring a 3 mm wetsuit, floatline and your long guns. You will also need to get a fishing license and review the regulations. It gets tricky in the Keys, you will most likely get checked and ignorance is no excuse. Lobster season ends March 31. Have fun and let us know how you do.

Try:

http://www.wetzen.com/pages/1/index.htm

if you want to go a little further down the keys to Ramrod Key. My son and I had a very nice spearfishing trip with Jeff last June.

Also, some of the Islamorada fishing charter boats also do spearfishing trips. Just be prepared to pay regular fishing rates. I can get contact information for at least one of them. Also, try googling or yahooing Islamorada spearfishing or Florida spearfishing.
Mark

Thanks for the posts. I e-mailed Jeff and it looks like he is about a 45 minute drive from where I will be staying. I'm not sure yet if I have to lug all of my equipment with me but I will try to find out.
He did indicate that March may not be the best month to freedive/spearfish due to having a history of bad weather and wind. Has anyone been there recently? What is the best time of year for the keys diving? What's it like right now?
Thanks

Here in Ft Lauderdale, which is somewhat north of the keys, we are expecting 6 to 9 foot seas this weekend...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT