• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Keys Trip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

StretchArmStron

Jan 19, 2004
Stayed in Marathon and speared from the shore exclusivley with the exeption of one day...that day the captain (girlfriends dad) got sick and we had to run to calmer water. We dove a bridge and shot a small blue runner and a yellow jack. We were covered up in huge tarpon with some pushing 200lbs. Saw a ton of snook too but alas they are illegal to shoot also.

The cleaner viz was a welcome change from our Charleston murk as was the variety of fish and the different structure of the reef and bottom. What we did not have was a vast ammount of quality fish. Lost a couple of bigger snapper and shot my 1st hogfish and 1st mackeral.

Had a lot of fun and plan on doing it again next year and hopefully staying in the same house. The only thing I would change if I had a chance would be to have a boat the entire time.

For the person who had the question about where to spear: anywhere off the beach below long key and not in a protected area.

Stretch, Whats the guy in the red shirts name and or Screen name? I went out with him on Liquid Pleasure last Halloween, but don't remember his name.

Allan,
Thats Kevin. He goes by Kpbirdbrain on other sites and has posted once or twice here..I think he lurks though.

Me and Lee followed you, Kev, and Larrod on the Liquid Pleasure....I hate that Larry missed this season but I know he's shooting huge fish in heaven.

Yeah I remember you from that trip you were heaving like me wern't you? Well not as bad as me! I told Larry that if I had to heave all the way in and out I still loved it and still do! That was my 1st trip offshore w/ a spear also my 1st Scuba dive in the ocean. I had started spearing in July at Panama City FL, w/ just a snorkle and mask, later learned it was called freediving, but that was my 1st dive to 100', I can't do that on a breath, but I still like both.

Yeah, Larry was saying that y'all would have something to talk about going that far off w/ a 18 ' boat 30 miles wasn't it?

OMG - A LIGHT BEER?????

Please tell me that was for the lady :p

(sounds like you guys had a good trip, I would kill for a chance to freedive with monster tarpon)

dblply,
The viz at the bridge was very good for our standards, probably around 20 feet or so. There are HUGE tarpon EVERYWHERE out there! Did not hunt the bridge for very long, but the area we hunted did not have alot of structure, no old steel beams that had been dropped or anything...it was just the bridge piling down to the bottom. Would have loved to stayed there longer and got a shot at a yellow jack but the current changed on us and it Rrrrips through there!
John.

Amphibious said:
OMG - A LIGHT BEER?????

Please tell me that was for the lady :p

(sounds like you guys had a good trip, I would kill for a chance to freedive with monster tarpon)

heyyy sexist - whassup with light beer.... not just for girls you know!! :ko

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT