• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kia Ora from the land of the long white cloud

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tania

Oct 19, 2005
Hi there

Just joined DeeperBlue and thought I would say a quick hello.... have been scuba diving for about 3 years and love it but am very keen to know more and learn freediving..... look forward to chatting to some of you later on and taking advantage of the knowledge that you all have!

Till then........ :wave

Hi and Welcome Tania, :wave
You'll find having scuba experiance a plus for equalising.
I'm from the south Island, But do all my diving in the North.
Been freediving for nearly 2 years, so relatively new.
I would recommend doing a course,
Can tell you more; about where too go, clubs etc.

Last edited:
Tania said:
Hi there

Just joined DeeperBlue and thought I would say a quick hello.... have been scuba diving for about 3 years and love it but am very keen to know more and learn freediving..... look forward to chatting to some of you later on and taking advantage of the knowledge that you all have!

Till then........ :wave

hey Tanya
welcome! hoping to visit your part of the world next year sometime :D

Hey Kiwi Gee

Would appreciate if you could steer me in the direction of a good course, have been looking around but they seem to be few and far between...... hows life in the deep south? What's the diving like down there?

Hi Tania,
I would recommend the freediving course run by No Bubbles Akl http://www.freedive.co.nz/courses.html
They run them in Auckland ,Wellington and have one run one in the South Island.Dates vary. Best to contact them

Course covers theory, pool and depth discilplines.
And tutored by divers that have taken part in the freediving worlds.

Even divers that aren't into the competition aspect learn alot from it, One I
Remember Was happy with improving down times too enjoy the sealife for longer.
And not forgetting the safety aspect involved too.

Unfortuantly, no specific freediving club has formed here in the south Island,
So I usually do light fittness work in keeping fit along side an underwater
hockey club.And do my Freediving training in Auckland& Wellington.

Like to Do some diving here, but with no buddie, lack of experiance
and cold waters I haven't ventured out.

But looking forward to going freediving at the Poor Knights next month.
warm waters with 30m+ vis.Should be an experiance.

Wellington has a club setup, with regular training.Here.
www.lazyseal.co.nz

Last edited:
i was watching Billy Connolly's Tour of New Zealand last night.. aside from his excellent humour, i was in awe at the scenery :inlove

Hopefully,as you say, on your trip down here, you can experiance it first hand
Island Sands, Plus some freediving :)

Hi Tania and welcome from another NZ freediver.

I used to average about 120 scuba dives a year until I tried freediving and I fell so in love with it that I haven't worn a tank in over 2 years. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

You'll get some excellent information from a course run by the No Bubbles group. I used to dive with them occasionally when I lived in Auckland and they are a great bunch.

Cheers

Ash

Kiwi GEE said:
But looking forward to going freediving at the Poor Knights next month.
warm waters with 30m+ vis.Should be an experiance.

You should have an absolute blast. The Knights are a superb dive site and are even better when you're freediving. I've had some of the best dives of my life there, there's something really special about that place.

Hi Ash, (good too bump into another NZ freediver here.)

Yeah, be my first time.Heard alot from the club on that area.
Great bunch your right, even one taking time helping me out
recently when I had a bad time doubting my confidence & ability
in statics.

There's a local freediving forum linked off the Wellington website too.

When I did my Course, a father and Son were among the group,
Both had pervious scuba background, and adapted very quick to
equalising, did you find that was the case for you?, judging by
your scuba dive numbers. Having never dived before I really felt
the pressure, even 5-8 meters felt like it was crushing my skull.
First time I'd felt pressure like that.

Kiwi GEE said:
When I did my Course, a father and Son were among the group,Both had pervious scuba background, and adapted very quick to
equalising, did you find that was the case for you?

Absolutely - I never had any issues equalizing when I started freediving, it pretty much became second nature to me after all the scuba dives.

The first time I had some major chest squeeze was a very strange sensation though :)

BTW - thanks for the info on the NZ freedive/spearing forum.

Last edited:
Hey Tania - slightly belated that is.

Another ex scuba, long time spearfisher, recent freediver here.

I belong to the Lazy Seal club here in Wellington that Kiwi Gee mentioned. PM me if you're in the Wellington area and want to make some freediving contacts.

We'll be going out on Saturday to watch the sinking of the frigate F69: http://www.divewreck.co.nz/F69/index.php to form an artificial reef (at nice freediving depth).

Welcome to DB and have fun out there :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT