• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kia Ora

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Narsil

Jan 18, 2005
Hi there. Just found this excellent site through clicking on spearfishing / freediving links the other day.

Introductions are perhaps in order. I'm 42, living in Wellington, New Zealand. I started using a pair of goggles when I was about 8, collecting mussels to cook on a little fire that my friend and I would light in the rocks by the beach. Then moved on to using a Hawaiin Sling to feed the cat, and later a speargun to gather kai moana (Maori name for seafood) for family and friends.

I got my scuba ticket when I was 16, but to this day prefer breath hold diving, and only use tanks perhaps a few times a year. These days I don't take too much either, perhaps a few fish, Crayfish (if I'm lucky) and Paua (NZ abalone). Much of the sea life around here is concentrated around 20 - 40 feet, and my hunting dives rarely exceed a minute.

Like many people, I wasn't really aware of freediving as a sport in itself until I saw The Big Blue at a film festival. I'd been water starved for a while, working on a film project in China, and editing etc in London. I still remember involuntarily holding my breath every time they were about to dive.

Did an introductory freediving course a year or so back, managed 33m constant, 66m dynamic and 4min static. The dynamic training just about killed me - as I was/ am pretty unfit and carrying a few extra kilos. 4 min static was reasonably comfortable after the breathing exercises (max they would allow on that course) and 100 feet was hitting sand.

For me, getting into and under water is pure therapy - the best way to destress and rejuvenate life force.

See you around :)

Welcome to DeeperBlue Narsil!
You'll find it a freindly place with lots of great information. There are several freedivers from NZ and I'm sure you'll end up making new friends and dive buddies. Feel free to ask questions and don't be shy about asking anything!

Adrian

welcome mate :wave
and hello from the oposite part of the globe :)
eyal israel

Kia Ora, Kia Kaha
Welcome to DB , enjoy yourself here , I know I do!
Kai moana is great!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT