• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Knot for monoline as replacement for crimp

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

John Marr

Aug 1, 2007
Hello,

my monoline broke directly at the crimp today and I am far away from any crimping equipment.
For now I tied a figure eight as a stopper knot at the end of the shaft.
It is not the ultimate solution, since the knot is a tad big and jammes a bit in the handle, so I am afrain it might break in an inopportune moment...
Any suggestion for a good fix?
Thanks a lot.

What size mono are you using? Maybe a bowline? But it may undo... do you have any dyneema? If you have dyneema or reel line, tie a loop to the end of the shaft (enough so it won’t jam in the mech) and then tie a clinch knot from the mono to that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MAKO Spearguns
Check out fishing knots on the web, however mono will bust at the knots, but anything will do in your situation.

Ok. Long time no internet :)
I opted for the Rapala knot, which I know from trolling and it workes like a charm. Very strong and survived at least 20 shots so far without any degradation ( only the normal one at the point where the shaft is connected, which also happenes with the crimped version.
Only downside is its relative bulkiness, which might slow the whole affair down a bit but I guess that might be neglegtable.

Here is an interesting knot, I am still learning to tie it without referring back to the diagram. Similar to a bowline knot at the start.
RAKnot.jpg

Yes, but it would not work for monoline i suppose?
With Dyneema a "Water Bowline" should be enough.
However, yours looks much prettier :)

i did replace the crimps very soon after i start spearfishing hobby , and knot is a better on my opinion

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT