• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Know your Surf

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

OceanSwimmer

Nov 3, 2002
Being a newbie, I cannot say I've heard it all or done it all.
Freediving is a complex, exciting sport that has a lifetime of wealth to explore.
It combines an endless variety of disciplines and adventures.
What got me to thinking about this thread is the safety issue.
I haven’t been here long but it seems there are a lot of ‘tell me how’ posts coming in from new members who are eager to discover the joys of freediving.
I am also aware of the news that we get from time to time about the injuries (and worse)
that can happen whilst freediving.
One of the best skills to learn is safe beach entry and exit.
It is an important aspect to consider.
Freediving in the ocean isn’t as easy as driving to the beach, pulling the car over, throwing on the fins and swimming out…..until you learn your venue and the variety of conditions that can affect the site.

The SDCD sponsors tours of the local beach diving sites.
It's called the 3R's Tour. The 3 Rs stand for Rocks, Rips, and Reefs.
The San Diego Lifeguards do a lecture and in-water tour of a good variety of the beach dive sites.
The idea is to help local and visiting divers to learn how to recognize and handle safely the entries, exits, and hazards of each venue.
The 'tour' consists of a lecture on-site by a very experienced lifeguard, who then takes the group into the water and 'talks' everyone through the place.
It's free, it happens every month-- usually Saturday mornings, once monthly from May through September, and takes about 2 hours. Our Dive clubs take turns sponsoring each event, so there's coffee, water, and something to eat when you exit after the swim. If you're really smooth you'll drop a dollar in the kitty but it's not de rigeur ;)
It is a wonderful way to meet and chat w/divers of all ages and abilities. Who knows? You might hear about the latest sighting of the ever-elusive WSB!!!!
The link to the San Diego Council of Divers is: www.sddivers.com

The link to Rocks Rips Reefs here in San Diego is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rocks-rips-reefs/
The Greater LA Council of Divers hosts a 3Rs in LA County as well.
Their link is: www.GLACD.org
The skills learned are very worthwhile.

I invite all other members to post about similar sites and resources here.
Tell us where you’re from and please post the link to your local dive organization and/or
tour info.
Let’s all dive safe and have a great time.
:inlove

Reactions: zazuge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT