• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Kuwait Kingfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
Went out today with Badia, Bader, and BQ.
We got to the oil rigs at around 6am. perfect timing. I was expecting the same from the previous trips out there but hoping for better viz. the viz from 6-10:30 was not so good.
around 11, during slack tide, the viz opened up to about 10-15m. not bad but not great either.
i have been cooped up in work during the last week, with little or no excersice, and only limited free time, so i havent had the chance to do any breathing exercises or anything of the sort.
The day of diving didnt really start great. i shot a queenfish within being in the water for about 10 seconds.
and then everything went downhill.
i had solid shots on barracudas and my flopper would not toggle for some reason, i threw up in my snorkle 3 times. it was bad.
and then i decided to take a break and chill on the boat for a little bit. so i got on and had a smoke.
after my cig, i decided to get back in the water. i breathed up for a good 10 minutes and felt extremelly relaxed. i dove down to the thermocline, which is in about 12m of water and where most of the fish are. when i got there i was surrounded by catfish. in kuwait, if fish had a score, a kingfish would probably be a 8 or 9, if not 10, and a catfish would be like -15.
at that point i was just thinking that this was god's way of telling me not to skip work to go spearfishing.
i stayed down for a 1:15 and as im about to pull the trigger on a catfish out of frustration i decided not to. at 8m from the surface i see directly next to me this beautifull fish, that is just parked right infront of my speartip. the minute i recognized it as a kingfish my heart just started pounding like crazy in my chest. ive been wanting to get me one of these bad boys for a while and my luck earlier that day was just plain old sh!t.
i tried to ease myself, and calm down but my heart was still racing. i slowly moved my speartip a few centimeters downwards and i pulled the trigger.
it was a perfect stone shot.

here a few pictures below and in a few days il get the underwater pictures.
the best part of this day is that the minute i shot this king, all my shots were true and i didnt lose a single fish from my shaft afterwards.

Reactions: Mr. X and agbiv
Very very nice catch there mate!!!! I wish kingies will go in the shallows, its my favorite fish to eat!!!

Cheers

Elvis

Nice one Mishu, looks and sounds like a good day out even if it was a little shakey at the start.
You can’t beat puffing on a Marlboro to get everything back in perspective.

Reactions: agbiv
Are those pics of the kingfish? They look like Spanish mackerel to me? When you say kingfish are you meaning yellow tail kingfish or do you call mackerel kingfish?

to all aussies and kiwis:

our yellowtail is what you call kingfish

our kingfish is what you call mackerel

V. Cool thread Mishu Real nice fish, pics & video!:king I expect the smoking at the surface helps you from getting used to too much oxygen. Don't forget to leave a few of those nice big fish for the rest of us though.

Reactions: mishu1984
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…