• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lack of sea legs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
After about three days at sea it generally wears off.Not much use to you though probably.Other than that,eat a good meal and try to fight it.

Reactions: Spaniard
A Chinese friend of mine told me that thinking of freshly peeled apples helps?

Eat ginger pills before you get on the boat, and have one every few hours if needed.
Ginger Ale soda helps too.
Erik

Dramamine and red bull. Fresh ginger and a positive attitude. There are also many other types of sea sick pills and I think if you try a few you can find one that works. Don't drink booze the night before and don't go down below in a boat unless you plan on sleeping. Being below deck always makes people puke. Just keep trying different cures. As a deckhand I'm seen people puke there guts out and come back the next week in worse weather and be fine becuase they found something that works for them. Good luck!

There are at least two kinds of sea sickness. With one, the first symptoms are in the stomach and the other starts in the head. The US taxpayer spent a (probably enormous) sum of money to develope a sea sick remedy called Marazene for the astronauts to solve the latter kind. I have seen it used for the first time by 30-40 people on my boat and never noticed any side affects. The cruise boats also have a new combo pill that I have no eperience with but has solved a few stubborn cases that I know of. There is a 'pressure point' elastic bracelet available that works miracles on a few ex-sufferers.
Uncle Sam has a record of spending large sums to discover the same old remedies. A very expensive ear remedy (prescription only) that was developed for navy divers is almost identical to the 50-50 vinegar and vodka that I first heard about 40 years ago. The million dollar pen that writes up-side-down instead of the 10 cent cosmonaut pencil is famous but since we paid for it you might as well try it.
Aloha
Bill

When I was on a liveaboard in the Red Sea a few years ago, we had a particularly rough bit between dive sites - I must've looked pretty green (I know I felt it) because one of the crew members came over to me with a cup with freshly squeezed lemon juice and told me to drink it. I thought he was mad, but felt rough enough to try anything - it worked, within a few minutes I felt fine.

Donna

Martin and I also use Stugeron, which seems to work for both of us, and Martin is much worse than me on a boat rofl

Ive had a similar problem for a long while allthough at first I thought it mite be pressure related from when I dive, cause normally after the third dive down Id be done for the day but that changed recently and now Im back to it being the fault of the movement of the boat. I must have tried all the products we get here. Ginger pills didnt work, raw ginger just makes the puke taste worse. Valoid and stugeron didnt work either, even if I started drinking one tablet a day 3 days before a dive and 2 on the morning of the dive. A mate of mine even drink tablets they prescribe to epileptics and most times that doesnt even work. But I do think I have found a cure that atleast let me enjoy 5 to 6 hours at sea, I drink a sachet of Enos after about 20 mins on the boat or when I start feeling symptoms of seasickness and bam 5 mins later its gone. This led me to realise that the problem is in the stomach not the head so its worth a try and yes also have a good breakfast before the dive it helps settle the stomach. But if it does not work do try the rest of the remedies, the only way to find something that works is by trail and error and if all else fails have a packet of fruity flavoured mentos before you go on the boat. It makes everything nice and smooth and it makes it taste betterrofl rofl

Spaniard me old mate the best thing for sea sickness is to go and sit under a tree until the boat is gone and then catch a plane. rofl

Reactions: Mr. X
I find lying on my back, and constantly chewing raw ginger helps; for me the ginger only gives me about a 1hr window of relief and it takes at least 30 minutes to take effect, so I generally just keep chewing it when not sleeping on a weekend charter.

I have the worst problems with medium sized boats (like dive boat charters, and weekend trip boats). Small boats (under 4m) and big boats (over 15m) are generally fine for me. Effect wears off after a couple of days. Part of the reason I am always the first one in the water at the dive site.

Also get away from the diesel fumes, they make it MUCH MUCH worse.

Thank you guys for all the input! I will try the ginger remedy for sure. Mmmmmm ginger snaps......

I too am very susceptible to sea sickness. I have found ginger is quite good, especially the crystalised stem ginger but Stugeron works very well. I have also found that tiredness and dehydration both make things much worse and may account for much of the variation in the effectiveness of other remedies that people report.

Hiya

Various people react differently to the same medication. Some friends swear by Avomine/Sturgeron/Mitel/etc, whilst they're hopelessly in-effective for others!! Best bet is to try all the available ones, until you've found which one works best for you.

Some tips when feeling a bout of mal-de-mer:
Don't look down. Focus on a fixed object on land, like a tree or mountain. Stay well clear from the motors of the boat. The fumes will just speed up the process!!! Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water!!

Most importantly, STAY POSITIVE!!! And you WILL beat it!!

Regards
miles

I can vouch for DT's remedi, I have been fishing since i was just a puppy, and out of my whole family I am the only one lucky enough to get seasick. A pleasure not so devine. Even though doctors swear that it has to do with balance / middle ear etc. I have tried everything, sea sick pills, plasters behind the ears ginger etc etc etc. And I have always found that my seasickness starts with a queezy feeling in the stomach, followed by small burps and then geooooooooooorge over the side of the boat if im quick enough. So i figured what if I expel the air in my stomach ie. having a biiig breakfast before getting on the boat, and then eating imediatly while on the boat. And pooof seasickness gone.

Just one small problem, diving on a full stomach sucks, so what to do. Sachet of eno's before i get on the boat, and a sachet while cruising to diving location does the trick. Your experiance might be different but do give it a try, and it does taste better than the salt water / ginger taste.

I'll second Bill's suggstion of Marazine. It's the best "pill" that I have found. Ginger soda helps once it hits, though I never had much luck with the Ginger pills. Avoiding greasy food before getting on the boat trip- but it always tastes so good after a rough trip. Also try and stay above deck and try to get some fresh air- I've seen people go below to sleep when they are getting sick and that only makes things worse.

In the end, I find time on the water makes the biggest difference. When I lived a block off of Lake Michigan I got to go out and dive off the boat at least once a week in the middle of winter and 4-5 days a week the rest of the year. Sea sickness just wasn't an issue for me. Now that I live 90 miles away I don't get out nearly as much as I used to and I feel it on those days when I do get out and it's rough.:rcard

Jon

Diving on a full stomach can have its benefits. You have already brought the chum with you. I have vomited several times while freediving only to have schools of fish charge me and eat the remnants.

sugared ginger is what i give my students that get green on boat trips. glad i've never been seasick

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…