• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lack of sea legs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Chew raw ginger - for sure. I had horrible motion sickness. After 5 hours on a plane I would be sick for two days. Chewing raw ginger the moment I feel the least bit takes care of it completely. Not ginger pills, not candied ginger, ginger ale or anything else - just raw ginger.I also agree with not going on boats on an empty stomach.

Always eat before getting on a boat if you get seasick, the only thing worse than puking is dry heaving! Then again avoid foods you wouldn't want to taste twice.

Reactions: Mr. X
Great thread. I too get seasick readily - often spearfishing in a swell/chop is enough to set me off. I lived on a yacht for 4 days once. We had a rough time in choppy seas under sail (rather than engine power) one day, always had gales when crossing the channel (both ways) -- the chunnel is a great improvement in that regard - and had a pretty horrible fast catamaran ferry trip to Vancouver Island (very bumpy). Calm seas aren't a problem.

I've recently started eating bacon and eggs (not too many trimmings/extras though - don't overeat) rather than Weetabix before spearing. I think it helps - although only encountered one situation that would likely have triggered it. However there may be other benefits, I find I am able to stay in the water longer without feeling drained/hungry & my catches have improved (perhaps fish like bacon too!). I think milk might be a bad thing for nausea.

Once this year I puked while spearing w/o warning in a swell. I came straight into shore after that, as I usually start to feel unwell immediately after. Slow deep breathing can help control a sudden attack, if you get some warning. Yoga technique. It has a calming effect. Can help with travel sickness & pain control too - saw a small child have stitches in the forehead using this technique when numbing didn't work & they couldn't use more. A similar but slightly different technique is used in Buteko to halt an asthma attack (seen this work several times).

Sounds like lots of good advice above. I like the apple peal trick & will give that a try. Podge's advice, avoid boats (and heavy/choppy seas) works well rofl. I used to drink whiskey & American Dry (ginger ale) on planes (British airlines carry American Dry, US airlines carry Canada Dry ) - might be worth a try, perhaps without the whisky.

I take some comfort in the stories of Admiral Nelson's seasickness (he is reputed to have stayed in his room puking for the first few days of a voyage). From Wikipedia:

"Shortly after reporting aboard, Nelson was appointed a midshipman and began officer training. Nelson found that he suffered from seasickness, a chronic complaint that dogged him for the rest of his life.[6]"

- Lucky they didn't have a Careers Advisor talk him out of joining up!

I also used to get very seasick no matter how calm the ocean was. Finally i found a real cure that works. Its called Bonnie and its over the counter. I havent been seasick since i started taking it no matter how rough the ocean was...and i live in Northern California where a rough ocean is the norm.

I'm fine on a boat but the chop and swell cause untold havoc with me in the water. I have tried just about everything but to no avail. I resort to biting my snorkel on the surface to the extent that I bite off the teeth grips rofl Watching the kelp swing one way and then the other on the bottom can be a nightmare :yack Just have to grin and bare it and wait for the calmer days

Reactions: Spiderman
Spaniard.. You Puff!:t

Come for a winter month in the north sea driving one of my Daughter craft.. That will cure you for good! Failing barfing yourself back to your birth weight try hydrobromine oral or.. Up the shoot! Lots of liquids, no reading, fresh air and a viable horizon will help but in the end most of its in your mind.

Think sick be sick.

...Don't look down. Focus on a fixed object on land, like a tree or mountain. Stay well clear from the motors of the boat. The fumes will just speed up the process!!! Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water!!...

Perfect advice, also eating pickled ginger, with the juice it comes in works wonders- and if you like sushi/sashimi...your set

A very effective method is to simply keep your eye on the horizon.

I taken countless friends out on boat trips and many have said that they were starting to feel a bit green, this simple advice has sorted them quite quickly.

It a balance thing at the end of the day, keeping your eye on the horizon gives your brain a fixed point, it can then make sense of what all the motion is about.

The method is also used for ice scaters doing there spins, you notice that they try and focus on a point ahead to prevent them from going dizzy and losing their balance.

Reactions: Spiderman

Works quite well in a boat.

Not much help when diving in a swell with poor viz

Reactions: Captain J
A very effective method is to simply keep your eye on the horizon.
I've tried that (on ferry, yacht & while diving) but sadly it never worked for me. When the sea is churning, looking at the horizon offers very little comfort ... for me anyway.:yack

I can add two little bits here.

First I fully agree with Mr. X. Breathe... Get fresh air, that always the key. Start that when you start with the sweats.

Secondly As a preventative measure a doctor friend of mine reccomended to me to do somersaults and jump on a tramploline whenever possible(not on the boat, when you are home). Its a workout for your inner ear so when you go on a boat you will have better sea legs.

I used to drink whiskey & American Dry (ginger ale) on planes (British airlines carry American Dry, US airlines carry Canada Dry ) - might be worth a try, perhaps without the whisky.

]

:rcard Don't leave out the whiskey!! It has wonderfull medicinal properties!:friday If your going to throw up, might as well feel good prior to doing it.

Secondly As a preventative measure a doctor friend of mine reccomended to me to do somersaults and jump on a tramploline whenever possible(not on the boat, when you are home). Its a workout for your inner ear so when you go on a boat you will have better sea legs.[/QUOTE]

Maybe even a broken neck soyou can't feel your sea legs:crutch

Motion sickness gizmo: Maplin > Motion-Sickness Relief

A friend used some elastic band things with a metal button that you put on your wrists to apply pressure (accupressure). That was for flying -- although I believe it was his first flight - so not sure why he thought he'd feel sick.

Ok, from growing up on the ocean and on boats I to know a bit about this subject. I don't get seasick easily, however I do have memories of being curled up in the fetal position in the rear cockpit of our 55' Hatteras with one arm hooked through the ladder to the flybridge and breathing diesel fumes. I also remember mustering up the energy to crawl to the head in the v-berth, sticking my head in the lav, dry heaving, and saying out load (with honest conviction) "Please God, .....Take Me Now"!!!

Fundamentally, the objective is to keep the stomach from experiencing changes in gravity caused by the forced rising and falling caused by the sea's waves! Here are a few bullet points that are very simple to follow:

1. Be careful of what and how much is eaten before a boat ride. Eating four eggs, bacon, sausage, toast and a glass of milk at 7:00am before a 8:00am boat ride is a recipe for making vomit. It is the weight of this food setting in one's stomach and bouncing up and down with waves that give the body the urge to toss it's breakfast. Eat very, very light non-greasy food (or not at all) a few hours before the ride.

2. Try to use the largest boat available. Going out in rough seas in a 4 meter rib isn't a good idea unless you really need a diving fix.

3. When on the boat stay toward the stern. The front of the boat is the apex point that experiences the most rise and fall. Stay near the fulcrum point that has the least amount of rise and fall.

4. Stay away from exhaust fumes. Small runabouts aften outrun the exhaust fumes, so being positioned at the stern is smart, however larger slower boats such as a 55" sportfish with a flybridge create a backwash effect and will suck the fumes into the rear cockpit area. Find just the right place to stand a little ways forward, keep your face forward and toward the the oncoming fresh air.

5. Let you legs function like shock absorbers. If the boat is big enough, try not to sit. Stand with the knees slightly bent and try to keep your torso from experiencing as much rise and fall as possible.

6. Watch the horizon. This is the ultimate gauge for trying to minimize the torso from going up and down. Staring out at the horizon, with the legs functioning as shock asorbers is one of the best things one can do.

7. Prescription motion sickness meds. I forget the name of it, but a friend of mine has a prescription for a medication that works great for preventing sea sickness. I have taken it a few times and it works even in rough seas. One side effect is it causes dry mouth, so while diving on scuba, my mouth and throat became horribly parched.

............just my two cents,
Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: Almostafish
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…