• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lactic acid

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fabikp

Nov 26, 2010
Hello everybody, I have maybe quite specialized medicine question, but let´s try: one of my freediving training method is running up the hill while breatholding.
At the end of the run I feel quite strong sticking pain in muscles of my legs due to high level of lactic acid (or lactate to be precise). In my opinion the same process should be going on in my heart - it is a muscle, too and it is working heavily during the run with a lack of oxygen. But I never feel any pain in my heart. So I suppose there are two possibilities: 1. heart muscle for any reason doesn´t create any (or little) lactic acid or
2. it does, but I don´t feel it
If the 2. is right are there any detrimental consequences for my heart because of high lactate level?

I will appreciate any knowledge on this topic. Pavel

Wow. Complicated question. I’ll throw this out. Lactic acid on skeletal muscle might act differently than cardiac striated muscle. Also in the Face Of acidosis Oxygen more readily leaves the RBCs to the tissues. The heart and brain also can use lactic acid as fuel. This is a protective mechanism. No worries about doing what you are doing except don’t pass out, fall then hurt yourself.

Yes " Lactic acid on skeletal muscle might act differently than cardiac striated muscle" may be an explanation but I don´t know the difference and it is still only my theory. Anyway thanks for answer.

To give a basic reply.. (you can do the googling required to get proper sources if you want)..

1) The heart muscle(s) has around 10x more mitochondria than any other muscle cell in the body, meaning that even during very intense workloads, the heart has about 10x the reserve capacity to continue functioning correctly even after lactic accumulation starts to happen in the heart muscle.

2) The heart has direct and 1st priority access to freshly oxygenated blood from the lungs: Literally all of you blood passes from lungs directly to the heart to heart. So even during extremely intense exercise far beyond your VO2-max, the heart is still always getting a massive volume of freshly oxygenated blood, and it's very unlikely to even become lactic in the first place. Under normal circumstances (healthy person) even at max BPM the heart is still mostly functioning aerobically. The body would crash well before the heart could suffer any kind of major acidosis.

--

In terms of freediving. Yes of course hypoxia (in the lungs) does limit the oxygenation of the heart muscle. But again, thanks to the high density of mitochondria, the heart can continue to beat without suffering acidosis well beyond the point where every other muscle (and the brain) would fail before that could really happen.

Plus. During apnea the heart mostly stay at or below a resting BPM, so it's not working so hard anyway.

Reactions: fabikp and grarena
Hi Nathan, many thanks for an in-depth explanation, now I know everything I need and can go on with my training without any worries. Pavel

Hi Nathan, many thanks for an in-depth explanation, now I know everything I need and can go on with my training without any worries. Pavel
You’re talking about one of the three energy systems. Aerobic, ATP-PC and glycolytic. These vary on time under load in terms of how long you exercise for and the intensity. Picture a static muscle vs an exercising muscle, now picture the heart. One is a massive change, one is merely a varied rate. Interestingly your breatholding is what’s forcing last age as well, the lack of O2 will cause lactate to build up as a result of the glycolysis occurring to fuel your muscles. One warning though is to not overdo this as excessive lactate over prolonged days of lactate training can be dangerous.

You’re talking about one of the three energy systems. Aerobic, ATP-PC and glycolytic. These vary on time under load in terms of how long you exercise for and the intensity. Picture a static muscle vs an exercising muscle, now picture the heart. One is a massive change, one is merely a varied rate. Interestingly your breatholding is what’s forcing last age as well, the lack of O2 will cause lactate to build up as a result of the glycolysis occurring to fuel your muscles. One warning though is to not overdo this as excessive lactate over prolonged days of lactate training can be dangerous.
Hello, ReefTroll, "excessive lactate over prolonged days of lactate training can be dangerous" - do you know what way dangerous?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT