• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Landlocked in Memphis

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jfelkins

Feb 4, 2006
Greetings all. I'm really posting to see what will happen to the "you have never posted" message when I log in.

I would like to learn more about free diving...thats how/why I found this site. I don't know where to start, live 8 hours for the ocean and don't plan to ever ride a rope down to compete. I just want to graduate from being a cork everytime I go on vacation. I like to dive deeper and look closer. I like to fish and bow hunt so Spearfishing looks neat but don't know if/when I could get a chance to go.

Where should I start? I know I need to hold my breath longer and having good diving form as not to waste time/O2. I've run a marathon and am in decent shape/...or will be again soon. the holidays and the superbowl had thier affect. Thanks for a great Site!!

Hi there. :)
Here's a few things to start from:
Use the search function to find if there are other members from your area (if so, contact them).
Look under 'find a buddy' forum as well. If there isn't a theard about your area, make one and ask for partners, it might be worth your while, even years from now.

As for training, 'static tables' are an easy door for apnea. You can do them dry and you can gain fast improvement from them. Use the search function to learn more about those.

There is a problem training 'wet' while alone, or without a partner who knows how to do proper safety for apnea. Most chance is that you don't know much about safety either. Start researching on these forums, there is a lot to read, you might not udnerstand much of it at the beginning but then you can make specific searches to clarify stuff, or post and ask. Some of the stuff you will encounter are advanced techniques (packing or exhale diving for example) that should not bother you as a beginner. I
t will take time to find your way through these forums, but it's well worth it. Not a better database on apnea in this world if I might say.

Another thing you should consider is getting proper education - a freediving course. A good course will gain you years of expirience and knowledge in no time.

Welcome aboard. :)

Welcome amigo, hope you feel comfortable here. It's a friendly forum. I am landlocked also, but me and a few friends spend hours and hours in the lakes in the summer, freediving and spearfishing. Don't discount the possiblity that freshwater can be excellent and challenging diving and spearfishing..
Warmly,
Erik Y.

Thanks much. Just since posting I've discovered a lake about 2 hrs from home that is supposed to have 20 to 30 ft of viz (Greers Ferry in Heber Springs AR) and spearing is actually listed in the AR fish and game regs for the lake...Some body's got to be doing it! I like that I can pratice the breathhold stuff in the dry year round...that alone will help me when I do get a chance to go. My family goes to Maui about one every 3 or 4 years and I'm going to St. John USVI this summer. I'd like to really increase ( it can only get better) my breathhold time and diving form by then. Thanks again!! This is the best site I've found on freediving.

thanks for the welcome.

I'm fighting the urge to "go gear". what I mean is that I have (as a techie type) an urge to get all the gear for a new interest and go overboard (pun not intended). I'm an aspiring (ie. just beyond wanna be) triathlete that hopes to do an ironman one day. I get to go on vacation (maui) once every few years and would like to be able to dive deeper and stay down longer. I want to get closer and take better pictures. Maybe even blow a cool bubble ring or two. I'm a single dad (but engaged to a lovely lady :inlove ) raising my three kids. snorkeling is something my boys love to do and we are getting very comfortable in the water/ocean. As I've said before I'd like to graduate beyond "cork status". Maybe some day I could go on a spearfishing trip to a lake in the region. Thanks again for the welcome and good info.

I am Orginally from Arkansas, and used to spear in Greers Ferry,Conway, and Degray....as well as the Arkansas River.

Flathead cats are my preferrable game when back home..although when I was a boy I used to tear up crappie in Degray with a pole spear and sling.

Work on your stalking technique...you will find alot of fish in 25' to 30' of water in Grears Ferry!

Here is a tip...a tri-cut tip at an angle through the skull angled towards the mouth....I got to where I was freeshafting them in Greers Ferry but, I would recommend changing out your nylon line for a beefier 400lb black outrigger line. Rock points just aren't as effective through those thick noggins IMO.

Good luck!

Been based out of Cleveland TN since Katrina but now working on getting back to the coast. Beautiful country. You are a straight shot down to the Biloxi area so hopefully this summer you'll get a chance and I'll take you out to the rigs for some incredible diving.

Welcome to DB

Being Landlocked is no fun when you are a saltwater junky. I grew up in Southern California, did a good amount of freedive spearfishing.... it's a lot of fun, but the only part I didn't like was having a bleeding fish attached to me in a net, just waiting for a shark to take the bait..... Welcome to the forum! :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT