• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

latest adventure

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002
west delta freediving
Met up with Marcel G and Bill c for a little snappa fest of our own...well, kinda. Bill had been in Venice all weekend and hadnt shot a red yet but the cobia had been thick so Mondays plan was to target them. Out to the delta we go.

We started in shallow...35 ft or so. Jump in and I cant see the end of my gun and Im thinking to myself, boy its gonna be a long day. To our surprise the murk was only about 6 feet thick where it opened into some beatiful water. Fist dive = a 10 pound mango. They were everywhere. Not too long after I get back to the rig and I hear Marcel shoot. I immediately dive to see whats going on. No Marcel but I did find the cobia he shot giving him a battle. I laid next to the fish as he fights it knowing whats gonna happen next. Here comes the cobias wingman...THWACK...double header.

Over the course of the day we shot 5 cobia from 37 to 66#(3 over 50). 4 grouper averaging 10# each. 1 40# king. Im not sure how many 10+ mangos...maybe 20? And I did find one red snapper at 15#. Not a bad day considering we never dove deeper than 40'! Pics to come soon. Its nice to not have to make 60-80' drops to fill the cooler...

We are now in full prep mode for the upcoming wahoo/tuna season...

Reactions: island_sands
Marcels first cobia of the day

Attachments

• sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 532
some small groupers and a mango...

Attachments

• sp2.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
me with the only red snapper of the day...

Attachments

• sp3.jpg
    sp3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 505
Marcel with the big one of the day, his second cobia at 66#! The workers on the rig got quite a show during this fight. It pulled him all over, and UNDER, the place. Shooting big cobia on a reel is always fun!

Attachments

• sp4.jpg
    sp4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 504
Hi Rigdvr!!

What speargun (kind, shaft, bands) are you using to get fishes like the 66# Cobia James Bond landed?
A month ago I gotmy first and only , a little one (30 pounds), and boy!!!, this fish is hard to kill, we had a 5 minute match, first with my reel and later with the knife.

Last edited:
Gag

Nice fish Rig/Marcel/Bill, say what's the depth where the gags are now, or let me rephrase that, how deep are the rigs where these are Rig?

Al Waker with a 46.9 pounder has me thinking about going S...

Last edited:
Mark, the rigs we dove were no deeper than 45-50 ft. This time of year they come in closer. There are big ones a little deeper but we were having too much fun to go looking. As a charter captain, my moto is, "never leave fish to find fish..."

I was shooting a wong hybrid with omer 50 reel. Marcel and Bill both shoot RA's with omer palegic reels. My new hybrid on the way from Daryl has an omer 80 on it and I think that will be ideal.

Mark, give me a shout before you book a trip so I can fill you in on some things. Bluewater season isnt too far off and you know what that means...

Roger that

I'll call you on the side ban Rig;)

I'm most likely only going to be able to fly down there last minute for a day or two in the next week or two and I plan to catch up with my buddy Bill. We haven't dove together since he was living in Panama and I think he's forgetting how fishing so much.

Nice fish...I want a charchoal belly though:D Sounds like the gags were "ganged up".

M

Tell Bill I said hello. Snapper season will be closed but the gags should be easy. The tuna have been getting close but Bill knows better than I do. He is THE man in Venice as far as Im concerned. Let me know if yall need another diver or two...Marcel and I aren't too hard to persuade!
Mike Freeman

But Sven, 60-80 foot drops is what makes it fun! And 80-100' is really exciting!!! Except in Mark's case, from what I hear, he enjoys the 100+ footers.

Rig,

I almost forgot, nice fish!

Scott

rigdvr, nice fish. i wish i could find som snappas like that around here, and cobia i havent ever seen one! well nice fish. btw how do you like your wong hybrid, i am thinking about getting one but i dont know if they are worth it.

I like it so much I have ordered another. It is the best all around gun I have ever used...it truly has the best of both worlds. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend one and I feel they are more than worth it. Email Daryl and he can help you out with specific gun selection for what you need. Tell him Mike Freeman sent ya!
wong spearguns

well rigdvr, i ordered a wong 55" mid handle speargun. it is scheduled to come in on the 10th. im excited to shoot it this comming weekend but i don think the weather will alow it, but if it does ill post a report on how the gun shoots.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT