• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Leaderfins blades, footpocket change.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thank You, but I'm searching something from European market (shipping costs).

ahoi,
funny, just an hour ago I've changed my Leaderfins footpocket and now I see your post :)
short answer at the end :)

I bought pathos foot pockets on https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/fins-spare-parts/19/s (in spain, but ok shipping price) with some 5% voucher code.
Many people recommended the pathos foot pocket, because stability, force transmission, light weight, so I bought a pair. After order and view days I realize that the pathos foot pocket must glued to the fins (to late to cancel - fu...). So I checked some you tube tutorials and also realized, that the side rail from leader fins must be cut a bit for the operation. I'm not amused, but I give that no turning back solution a try. If it's don't work, I train more no fins :)
So today starts, first I put on the foot pockets start my wifes high performance hairdryer and burn my feets a bit. But now the pockets like west coast customs second skin pockets (and give every side a name). Then I cut off the rails (all sides the same length) use a bit sandpaper and need 3 or 4 plaster (cuter are dangerous) and it's work. The last part is the hardest and really dangerous - the glueing! I used a paddex superglue (cyanoacrylate adhesive). I hate that stuff, my fingers glued everywhere. After that torture I finally finished and I hope that solutions work well.

Short: Pathos footpockets work with leader fins but must glued, mares footpocket works (my teammate says) but I don't know more, the cressi gara modular (don't know fits or not), but they tell me is shit because often broken.

Wish you success with you search and let me know how you do it.

so long

ps: pathos size measurements:
36-38 – 232mm x 94mm
38-40 – 242mm x 96mm
40-42 – 255mm x 98mm
42-44 – 265mm x 100mm
44-46 – 280mm x 100mm
46-48 – 290mm x 103mm
48-50 – 300mm x 105mm

pps. here the result, not a price winner but works (oh by the way, because the bad rocks and walls I put a foil on the carbon/fiber blades, works great, looks like magnesium Adamantium metal blades)

pathos1.JPG

pathos2.JPG

Last edited:
Good Idea with the foil! Is that the same klnd you use for cars etc? Doesn't add too much weight to the fins, right?

Is that the same klnd you use for cars etc? Doesn't add too much weight to the fins, right?
Hi, yes, is a car foil, very robust, water resisted and flexible. Super easy to use because the air channels, no bubbles. 90 µm is not so heavy, so the weight is not the problem, I afraid that the flexibility for the carbon is a problem, but after view tests I think it's ok.
By the way, the leaderfins footpockets are ca. 3 times heavier than the pathos footpockets. Big different.

okok, a bit less then 2 times :)

a pair Pathos= 780gr
a pair Leaderfins = 1510gr

Pathos 390gr.
40-42.jpg

Leaderfins 755gr.
41-42.JPG

Last edited:
Thank You very much for help!
Just let me know how is the cyano-acrylic glue after month of use. I'm not very convinced to it, but i have seen many people in tutorials show to use this glue, even phatos tutorial.
Best regards

you welcome :)
I'am also curious about the glue, but after cutting the leaderfin rails, is a small layer of the railrubber still there, I prepare this layer with sandpaper and Nitrodilution. I think this layer and the Pahtos rails now melt together. When I bend the fin really hard I can't hear any crack, so I think a flexible and water resistant glue do the job pretty well. But I will share any news here.

Reactions: liutaina81
And one last question, I change my footpockets because i can't put any sock inside. I have the same foot size like You. Are phatos 40-42 bigger than leaderfins 41-42??? Do You have more space with phatos than leaderfins? Is the difference big?

(for examle my plastic immersion e:black 40-42 are siutable for 5mm sock) phatos - i don't know what to expect, should I take 40-42 or 42-44?

the leaderfin footpocket fit perfectly without socks. The pathos are wider at the front, I think my entire foot have 1% more space than befor, but I want socks (my trainer says this are good one), so perfect for me.

shit... might not be enough for 5mm sock.
Anyway, thank You 3joern for answer. You helped me a lot!

I have just measured footpockets of immersion and leaderfins:
Immersion 40-42 lenght:25,5cm width:10cm height: 8cm
Leaderfins: 41-42 lenght 25,5cm width:10cm height: 7cm
But about width, leaderfins are becomeing much narower in the toes than immersion.
+immersion rubber is much more elastic than leaderfins...

So i will try with 40-42 phatos.

Ok after a couple of Training Saisons I have a better technic than with the leaderfin foot pockets and the better control feels great, but after the hole process I prefer in my next live the other solution with the mares razor footpocket, without the glueing and no way to return thing :)
Yesterday I've seen my teammates razor foot pockets and they have almost the same architecture like the pathos, just the rails is a way higher.

I recently purchased the leaderfin pure carbon for my Mares footpockets. The mares rails do not fit the leaderfins rails perfectly. I had to shave down the leaderfin rails toward the tip of the Mares rails so they would fit inside each other. The end result still wasnt perfect, so I also used glue for safe measure. The mares footpockets have retaining brakets that hole the fin in place and requires drilling into the blades. The angel of the leaderfin blade also came up to the bracket, so I had to drill the holes a bit closer to the bend than I would have liked to. I have yet to try the fins since the weather hasnt been ideal. But as soon as I test them, I will post results.

ohoh, if you have this torture because I've write they fit, so sorry. My Teammate tells me, that the mares fit the Leaderfins. shii.... but thanks you let us know.

I've use a protection foil on the fins, so no idea, but after a year I can't see or feel any problems.

Reactions: gobicles
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT