• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Leaderfins? Improved?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

photoblogger

Nov 6, 2012
Hey guys, first time posting here.

Just want to hear from you guys who tried using leaderfins, most of the reviews I have seen are aged waaay back 2007. I was wondering if there have been any recent purchases and has it been good to you?

I'm also confused as the difference between these monofins:

Sport VS Hyper VS advanced VS LF

I'm planning to frequently use it for recreational freediving in the reefs up to 50-60 feet deep.

Do you think it will last me at least a good 3 years?

Sincerely,

Johnn

Leadrfins is okay, i would say Best bang for the buck :)
Not super quality but pretty good ;)

I would recommend Hyper, i use it myself.
Very comfortable footpockets and its better because of bigger angle (22 degrees)
My feet are 27cm, and i use EU41-42 fin, perfect fit (without socks).

Good luck! :) :)

Essentially you have two types of monofins, competition/deep diving fin like the Hyper, and beginner/recreational like Sport and LF. I'd recommend the latter for recreational use, as those are lighter to travel with, and more comfortable to wear for long sessions. To get the optimum performance out of the Hyper, one needs tight foot pockets, and those can be quite uncomfortable for long sessions.

@Martin366 thanks for the quick reply :) Definitely helpful and reassuring information hehe. I'm just a bit paranoid as I'm really really far away from the Supplier (Cebu, Philippines)

@Jussi Hello jussi! I don't know if you remember me, we met in Crocolandia several years ago hehehe. I'm considering the hyper because of performance, but even with neoprene socks will it still get very uncomfortable for long sessions? I'm now just deciding between the Hyper VS the Monofin Finswimmer + neoprene socks - Leaderfins

Thanks sooo much guys! big big help :)

@Martin366 thanks for the quick reply :) Definitely helpful and reassuring information hehe. I'm just a bit paranoid as I'm really really far away from the Supplier (Cebu, Philippines)

@Jussi Hello jussi! I don't know if you remember me, we met in Crocolandia several years ago hehehe. I'm considering the hyper because of performance, but even with neoprene socks will it still get very uncomfortable for long sessions? I'm now just deciding between the Hyper VS the Monofin Finswimmer + neoprene socks - Leaderfins

Thanks sooo much guys! big big help :)

It depends how much bigger footpocket you'll take. Hypers f-pockets are comfy, only closed heel f-pockets are more comfortable.
That finswimmer monofin is crap. If u want something cheaper then consider Flyer.
Blade angle plays pretty big role, bigger angle is comfortable and has better performance.
SpecialFins Monofins & fins for Freediving,Spearfishing,UW Games and rescue-lifesaving sport, maybe something there?
And you can consider Waterway Nemo-Wing also :)

@Martin366 I haven't really considered other products but this was what one of the freediving instructors here considered purchasing which is why I considered Leaderfins.

When we go freediving with friends we stay for as long as 5-6 hours in the water, you think my feet will just be fine? I'm currently using Subgear Stream Pro long blade bi-fins and my feet don't hurt at all.

Have you tried the nemo? Price ain't that bad. Might actually consider it.

Have you considered hydrofoil type monofins? They can offer an excellent balance of features for recreational freediving. Let me know if you want to know more?

Hi guys!
Me and a buddy from our freediving club bought identical Leaderfins Hyper monofins (medium "softness", glassfiber material), and they both broke after less than two months and only a few gentle dives.

Here are some pictures of my monofin:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10710...00405743320785

and pics of the other monofin, which we noticed had started to break and it didn't get worse than this:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11115...OyOu-ipzOnOyQE

So basically, it seems Leaderfins' glassfibre materials are crap. Don't buy them. The V-bend on these is so bad it is bound to cause problems like depicted above. What I did like about the fins, was the footpockets. I chose one shoesize (EUR) bigger than my shoe size, and it fits nicely. I can have it on for an hour or maybe even two if I want to. So please choose a big shoe size if you order.

Also, Leaderfins makes REALLY soft blades. Choose hard for medium, exhard for hard...

The really annoying thing is, that if the fins break, its not covered by their warranty, and the best they could do after my fin had broken after 6 weeks was to give 50% discount on a new fin. Well, I'll soon have a Hyper Carbon to test out. I hope it lasts longer... I'll post something here once I know.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you didn't make good experiences with the hyperfin. But it's the first time I hear that the blades broke. Ok, the quality is not as good as Starfins for instance. But they are reasonable.

By the way, cross posting is a no go.

Leaderfins has a new Hyper (and that is what I bought), and I'm afraid they will have to do something about it soon or stories like mine and my buddy's are going to abound. Unfortunately! The hard part is that quality seems to be different every time. Perhaps this was a bad batch of glassfibre. Perhaps this is the material they will use for now. Who knows. In any case, I would wait until something changes before choosing Leaderfins again.

By the way, I asked about their 'Hyper Professional', and they said only the footpocket is different; this means even their flagship fin has this issue!!

I will keep you updated on the Hyper Carbon once I get it

Last edited:
Leaderfins has a new Hyper (and that is what I bought), and I'm afraid they will have to do something about it soon or stories like mine and my buddy's are going to abound. Unfortunately! The hard part is that quality seems to be different every time. Perhaps this was a bad batch of glassfibre. Perhaps this is the material they will use for now. Who knows. In any case, I would wait until something changes before choosing Leaderfins again.

By the way, I asked about their 'Hyper Professional', and they said only the footpocket is different; this means even their flagship fin has this issue!!

I will keep you updated on the Hyper Carbon once I get it

Its very big probability that you did get bad batch.
My friend have used Hyper one year, one-two times per week, pool and open water, no problems.
I have used few months, also one-two times per week, have done lots of flat out sprints, no problems.
And used Leaderfins bifins for two years - no problems, like new.

Well, I got the leaderfins' new Hyper in the soft blade.

It cracked in less than 10 uses. In fact one could notice a faint white stress mark after the first 2 uses where the blade makes its v-bend. Today, in the open sea, a friend was trying it out and I noticed the white stress mark was much more pronounced while in the water. It was located where the blade makes its v-bend in the middle/center part of the blade near the blade edge--and there was the crack.

I would assume this would be covered under the warranty due to it being well under the given 1year warranty but you can see their reply as pictured.

Seems they are quite aware of the problem from their email. They assumed the blade hit something or did a "wrong turn" as in the case of DYN in a pool, which we don't do here.

Also to note, this blade is really not fiberglass it's like some plastic with possibly newspaper pressed into it to make it appear it's like fiberglass when it does crack.

Like I said, less than 10 actual uses!

In their reply picture they simply circled the crack and commented: "Rubber Patch". I guess this is the solution and will have to patch with rubber, which they will send.

Attachments

• email.jpg
    email.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 338
  • stress-crack1.jpg
    stress-crack1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 361
  • stress-crack1b.jpg
    stress-crack1b.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 318
  • stress-cracked-zoomedout_1.jpg
    stress-cracked-zoomedout_1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 357
In their reply picture they simply circled the crack and commented: "Rubber Patch". I guess this is the solution and will have to patch with rubber, which they will send.

IMHO, I really don't think a rubber patch is going to do anything at all. It sounds like they are just blowing you off. The fin is probably toast, but it could be repaired with the proper tools and techniques if you care enough to fix the fin.

I have written previously on DB about how to do a real structural repair to fiberglass. If you search my posts in other threads regarding broken fin blades you should be able to find them. It can be done in a day if you have the know-how and the tools. If you have nothing to start with, it is a much bigger deal to get what you will need to do the job than it is to actually do the job. In that case, the most cost effective solution may be to just buy another fin from a different manufacturer. On the other hand, if you get what you need to make repairs, you can continue to make repairs to both your own and other peoples broken fins. So, there can be long term value to attaining this capability.

- Peace

Last edited:
Perhaps scavenge the rubber parts from the fin and put them on a new blade?

I don't think a soft blade should be used for any deep diving. When divers turn and start the swim up, the fin gets a HEAVY load to endure.

I went to the Leaderfins website and read their warranty. In the warranty it says "Not viable for mechanical damage happened during the using." You should tell them that someone stepped on it and the blade cracked when it was just sitting there not being used.

Seriously though, this basically means that there is no warranty on their fins. Of course when it breaks, it is going to break during the using of the fin. How cheesy!

This is a shame as I am looking for a monofin myself and had considered the Leader hyper. By all accounts though, their carbon bi-fins do look very strong.

The V-bend I think is the cause of the damage, and not their materials selection. The bend is caused by design flaw - notably that the fin has too stiff a leading edge for its width.

The problem will never go away until they re-design the fins, and the after sales service seems abysmal. Avoid Leaderfins monofins

I wont be getting anything anymore by leaderfins even though their bifins may be better, for BiFins now I really like MAKO's.

Regarding the rubber patch...can't wait to see it and see if it's a total blow off. Meanwhile, I just got my Starfins Monofin delivered yesterday and am very impressed.

Regarding Kars' comment on not using a soft blade for deep diving, I'd have to disagree. I've moved from hard blades in the beginning to soft blades now and really like it better as my style has evolved. For example, one aspect of my style is where at the turn I fin very slowly using as little energy as possible and I gradually build up speed. Those that like to start to sprint on the way up would surely not like a soft blade. Also Max, the deepest teenager in the world, did a 98M dive here last year with his super-ultra-soft carbon Powerfins blade by Oleg Pudov..that blade is unbelievably soft. Soft blades I also use for bifins (MAKO) and really like it better for deep diving and it feels like I'm saving oxygen. Reaching near to 70M with the soft blades I can do with more ease than with harder blades. If you asked me this a few years ago, I'd say I hate soft blades and love medium hard blades.....now my old Nemo's feel like pieces of wood in comparison.

I digress....bottom line is it looks like Leaderfins has not improved--espeically in their monofins and refund policy. The only reason I got that last hyperfin was due to the cheap price....DOH, you get what you pay for!

I would also not recommend Leaderfins, especially for monofin purchase. I know few people from Poland whose monofin literally broke in the middle or some other serious issue was reported. They definetly have attractive prices..but You get what You pay for...

Hey photoblogger,

I'm from Manila.

I hope you don't mind me asking about any reviews you might have with regards to Subgear's Steam Pro freediving fins.

You see, a LDS here in Manila will be bringing again the said fins but, they will also be introducing the brand's line of carbon fiber fins.

I'm tempted to buy the carbon fiber-made fins but, it is priced 4x as that of the Steam Pro's.

However, the lack of (almost zero) reviews about the Steam Pro is holding me back from buying it.

Appreciate any reviews you might have.

Some years I got a Leaderfin (mono, fiber glass) which soon broke right at the angle of the blade. I wonder whether this was a problem of the material, the presence of the angle (which ALWAYS tricky as those inhomogeneities favor crack forming) or both. Is carbon a solution of the problem ? P. S. : It was really a pitty, I liked the fin, price was reasonable and its comfort was awesome.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT