• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Leaderfins - Questions for People that own some..

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Admirator

Jun 17, 2015
Hey everybody,

I'm looking into buying Freediving Fins and have decided on the Leaderfins Camouflage Carbon (fiberglass/carbon mix). I have some questions about the sizing and stiffness directed to those who also own Leaderfins (especially those who bought them recently, 1-2yrs ago, since I've heard their products may have changed a little compared to 4-5yrs ago?!):

1. How is the sizing of their foot-pockets, are they rather big or small? Specifically, I have a 44 shoe-size (US: 11 UK: 10.5), narrow-to-normal width foot, and I want to use the fins with 2-3mm neoprene socks - which size would you recommend for me?

2. I have read that the stiffness for the fins are rather softer. I am a beginner freediver (183cm, 72KG), and I want to use the fins for snorkeling, swimming and dives no deeper than 15m/50ft. Is the medium stiffness
for the Camouflage Carbon Fins soft enough for me? What would you recommend based on my specifications?

Thanks so much for any of your help / experiences!

Best,
Admirator

I use medium stiffness carbon ones without camouflage. I have size 44 feet and I think mine are size 45/46. My feet are wide but the foot pockets fit me fine. A bit tight with 5 mil socks, spot on with 3 mil socks and ok with no socks for short periods. I use mine for freediving and spearfishing and I am really pleased with them. I have 2 pairs as I thought I might break them on rocks but so far I have not broken them in two years use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Admirator
Thanks for the response! Is the medium stiffness soft enough for just swimming/snorkeling over water? Because with my current fins (too stiff), it feels like they are just staying over water and barely go underneath the surface

They are absolutely fine. I used them for snorkelling in Egypt this year as well as freediving. I wouldn't go back to plastic fins now.
I use them for spearfishing and swim long distances in them . Two of my friends tried them and bought a pair straight away.

Alright, looks like I'm going with 45/46 in medium. Is your height/weight close to mine though (I've heard that has a lot to do with what stiffness you need)?

Also, do you remember how long shipping was in Europe? (to Germany for me)

I'm am 5 foot 9 inches and 14 stone in English. I ordered from fins4u and I think it took between 7 and ten days.

I have the Leaderfins Abyss pro (Fibreglass) size 12 (US) feet and ordered Size 11-12 US, i can easily wear 3mm neoprene socks with them, so they fit a little big!

Shipping took 10 days to Canada with DHL, customs and taxes came to an additional $35 CDN i just received them last week!

Hrmmm. And I thought I had it figured out now.. .

So Mr.Ocean, you're saying that with your size 12 feet (EU 46), you can wear the leaderfins 11-12 (EU 45-46) with 3mm neoprene socks? (also: which stiffness did you get and how does it work for you?)

But on the other hand, jpp is saying with his size 11 feet (EU 44), he is wearing leaderfins 11-12 (EU 45-46) with 3mm neoprene socks.

I have the same foot size as jpp, so now I'm uncertain. jpp, you mentioned that you "think" your leaderfins are 45/46. Do you mind checking to see if they really are?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'll go on vacay soon and having them sent back to the factory for different ones will take too long (and is expensive since they're in Estonia).

Thanks!!

Yes i have size 12 feet and got the size 11-12 fins, and can wear 3mm neoprene socks with them, they seem to fit without socks, but i haven't used them yet without the socks! i got Medium stiffness and I'm very happy with them, but I'm 6'1" and weigh 205 pounds! and a strong swimmer and scuba dive whenever i can. I would recommend them for sure! i have read a lot of reviews that say they fit one size bigger, thats why i got the 11-12, and they seem to fit without sock!

Yes mine are definitely 45/46. I use them pool training with no socks and they are slightly loose. Spot on with 3 mm socks and slightly tight with 5 mm and I take a size 44 euro shoe or size 10 UK.

Alright, sizing is settled I'm getting 44/45, they'll fit me well with and without socks I think (better snug than too loose), and I have narrow feet - jpp you've mentioned you've got wider ones.

Just.. unsure about the stiffness again (this has been going on for weeks now, sorry for the bother, I think I'm OCD about this now..), you guys are both heaver than me, and Mr.Ocean you've mentioned you train a lot. I'm really starting out, Scuba only on vacation, and my pool train is w/o fins (good 'ol seniors be scared of those dangerous fins)..
Really want to make sure they're not too stiff in Medium, like my current regular snorkel fins are, it really bothers me especially when swimming distance over water, really like them to be soft enough.

If you're still with me (I understand if not^^), how for example do yours compare to this sleeky produced image film by them? Are theirs really soft or medium?

I would suggest getting the Medium ones, even if they are a bit too stiff at the beginning, as you become a stronger swimmer you will grow into them, but thats just one guys opinion, the leader fins are said to be "softer" then other brands in general, thats what all the reviews i have looked at state anyways. my scuba fins and snorkel fins are quite a bit stiffer than my free diving leader fins. it will take some time to get you used to the fins anyways, your legs will be sore since your not used to the movement!

Any update on your purchase Admirator? I am eager to hear your personal review on the Leaderfins Camouflage Carbon. I've been thinking also of upgrading from my Leaderfins Camouflage Fiberglass blades to the carbons but I'm still torn on whether to get the Composite (CF + Fiberglass) or to go for the Pure Carbon (100% CF). Any advise would be appreciated

Hey Doc Bass,
Yeah, I've ordered the Camo Carbon in 44/45, medium, about a week and a half ago. They're scheduled to arrive this Monday (GER), so stoked, been tracking the hell out of that package.
Will let you guys know my assessment asap..

Alright, have had time to assess them by now, and have to say they are

p e r f e c t!!

The sizing is great, w/o socks they fit okay, a little lose like I wanted, because with 3mm neoprene socks they fit just great. I'm using the Omer Spider 3mm ones. It's super comfortable in the water, just spent 3hrs on and off in the lake, and I didn't feel any stress on my legs at all. The ankles got tired after about 2hrs, but since I'm a total beginner, that's a great result.

This probably also has to do with the stiffness (medium), which is also great. Just the way I wanted it to, very easy to move under water, very fast yet not tiring, lots of control. For these being my first freediving fins, I feel totally pampered by what I've got in my hands here..

Shipping took about a week (Europe), the case it comes in is also great, and the fins I can take apart and back together no problem.

The only thing is that as with all carbon/fibre fins, they do scratch real quick. You've very conscious of that when wearing in the water, because you'll want to protect them from rocks, the bottom etc.

Anybody have any any advice on how to protect fins like that? Maybe put a protective film on them (how to)? Leaderfins offers that when ordering, but 30€ extra was a little steep.. Any experiences on that?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT