• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Leaderfins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tonyiannu

Sealover
Oct 22, 2006
Hi all,I'm about to buy for the first time a carbon fins they are quite expensive but I found the leaderfins affordable for my budget. Does anyone knows anything about this make? Whats the risk buying a not well known makes? I will appreciate any info about the Leaderfins or any other cheap but good brand. All the best. Toni.

Reactions: Orfos09
Hi Toni,

I use carbon bifins since more than 10 years, c4 falcons and also another italian carbon fin brand. recently I had the opportunity to try leaderfins carbon bifins (the Waves model), and I was so positively impressed that I oderdered a pair (medium stiffness). They are remarkably softer than my c4 30s, but they are so comfortable in the water, the kick is so smoothe and precise and reactive and not fatiguing at all that I liked them immediately. The price is very good too. Remember that they come with Omer footpockets that have quite a large and big cut (i have 43-44 shoe size and the 42-44 footpocket is perfect even with 3mm socks).

By the way, leaderfins is a well known brand, they are on the market since quite a time and as far as I know they have a good reputation.

So in my opinion these are good fins for a good price.

Cheers,

ivo

Toni have a word with this bloke- http://forums.deeperblue.com/members/kkdavids.html
He’s a bit useful with fins in the UK.
All the best
Paul:)
Hi Podge thanks a lot for the link,kkdavids should be the fins4u shop where I saw the fins and the best prices on the market too. Wondering just for few good rewiews before to buy a pair just to make sure to dont get stucked at -20 for a cracked fin :crutch.
All the best mate.
Toni:)

Hi Toni,

I use carbon bifins since more than 10 years, c4 falcons and also another italian carbon fin brand. recently I had the opportunity to try leaderfins carbon bifins (the Waves model), and I was so positively impressed that I oderdered a pair (medium stiffness). They are remarkably softer than my c4 30s, but they are so comfortable in the water, the kick is so smoothe and precise and reactive and not fatiguing at all that I liked them immediately. The price is very good too. Remember that they come with Omer footpockets that have quite a large and big cut (i have 43-44 shoe size and the 42-44 footpocket is perfect even with 3mm socks).

By the way, leaderfins is a well known brand, they are on the market since quite a time and as far as I know they have a good reputation.

So in my opinion these are good fins for a good price.

Cheers,

ivo
Hi Ivo,I've got a few questions for you what stiffness do you recommend to me for divings around 10-20 mts and for a quick kicks from the bottoms and fast moves on the surface?
All the best
Toni:)

Im very close to ordering a pair myself. For that price you cant go wrong. And now I see you giving them the thumbs up Ivo I think I will go for it. I cant decide on softness either. Im also doing 10-20m with long surface swim. What do you think? Soft or medium?

Last edited:
Just to put in my experience, i've just received a set of wave carbon in hard, going to try them tomorrow.

I've been using Maorisub carbon fins in medium and the leaderfin hard is a bit harder but not too stiff at all.

that is just by comparing the 2 sets on land, will be getting in the water tomorrow and will see if there is a huge difference.

Ok Lou so we are looking forward for you to try the new fins.I heard about they are a bit more soft respect the other one. I guess that the medium are the one that suit more for me.

Hi again,

As I said, I tryed the medium stiffness and I liked them immediately. they are rather soft, but reactive and smooth at the same time. A clean, precise and comfortable kicking. For 10 or 20 meter dives they are perfect for shure. I think you can paddle for hours with them and do long surface swimms quite effortlessly.

Having tried the mediums i wouldnt go for a even softer blade. Medium here is already soft enough, at least for me. On the other hand I had no chance to try the hard ones, but I imagine them to be more similar to my C4 mediums.

Again, compared to other brands, these fins seem to be a bit softer for each stiffness category.

cheers,
Ivo

Hi Scorp,
have you tryied them in the swimming pool or into the sea? Is very important to know how the blades react when you leave the bottom if they are to slow(soft) and you need to spend a lots of energy to get to the surface.Cheers.

so far only in the pool. I don't know how they react in the deep. However, the friend whose fins I tried told me that he used them down to 50m and that they are great also for such depths.
If you are rather heavy or dive deeper in colder water with more weights it might be possible that the stiffer blad, in this case the "hard" one, is better for you. but as I told, I can't say anything about the hard blades nor do I have experience with the medium fins in deep dives.

Since I will be in Dahab next week and will have the opportunity to compare the medium leaderfins to my C4 Falcons 30 also in deeper dives, I can give you some feedback on that if you want.

cheers,
ivo

Hi. I just got my new Waves Carbons with medium stiffness too. My first fins for freediving and I have only tested once my friends Gara HF and Leaderfins Freediving stereoblades so it is kind of hard to compare them. Altough I have been playing UW-rugby for many years so Im familiar with the other things in diving.

Today I was testing them for the first time at the pool and they felt really good. As Scorp said:"rather soft, but reactive and smooth at the same time". You can get good speed with very little effort but there is also room for some harder kickin too if you need power.

Im not going to Dahab next week like Scorp but Sharm El Sheikh at April so I may have some better opinions of deeper diving after that. :)

what about the angle of these fins?can they fit in the omer stingray footpockets?

C'mon guys any other rewiews on leaderfins? I've got a pair of Omer ice and I never had a problem with it but I was reading some italian forums on those fins and a lots of people had serious problem like breaking the blade 3-4 times. the good think is that Omer always replaced the broken parts even becouse you got 3 years of warranty on it. Aarno good for you that you're going in Sharm El Sheikh is one of the best places you can go on the earth cristal clear water and a lots of different fishes do not forget the camera!!!

i have used these fins in the soft form for most of last year and think that they're great!
you need to make contact with Dave at Fins4u as he is also in Bournmouth so i'm sure that you could get your hands on a pair to have a look at before you 'take the plunge' so to speak and buy them!
Thoroughly recommended!

Thanks a lot Speardaver I can see there are lots of people happy with this product.I will contact Dave soon.Cheers.

I got in on Saturday and tried the fins (Leader wave carbon in hard), I was worried that they would be too stiff, they are harder than my maorisub medium 85's but not too stiff at all. I'm really happy with them.

Yeahhh i'm thinking to get the hard version as well,for sure they are softer than my Omer ice.

hi all, only just seen this thread...i wont give a review on the fins, as its difficult not to be biased! i personally use these fins and have used both medium and hard blades. The difference isnt huge but noticeable, personally i prefer the harder blade, but this is because im used to it... any more info required let me know

Reactions: podge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT