• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

legal fish to spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

catdaddy

Jul 27, 2007
the only fish i know that are legal to spear in florida are hogfish,snappers,jacks,grouper,and flounder,could you tell me some more legal ones for florida

Fish and game laws are not very helpful if you have specific questions. I tried their website, but not very many species are listed under what is legal. If you know a specific species you want to spear, give them a call and they will answer it for you.

I made a word document with some pictures and the legal sizes if you want to take a look & add any you know to it as well. I only have a few of them on there because I beach dive and haven't put any on that don't swim close enough to shore to ever see.

Attachments

• Florida - Legal Fish to Spear.doc
    481 KB · Views: 357
Boca Raton. Was there about 10 years ago. Remember 2 signs on the beach. "Warning turtle nesting" and "No spearguns on the beach". Never dived there just swum but vis looked amazing. We were visiting relatives who are snowbirds staying in one of those gated developments. Very nice place. Bit too warm in summer but still better than the rainy old UK. Wouldn't mind going back some day.

Dave

We talked with fish and game. They said that you are not allowed to spearfish within 100 yards of the public swimming areas, and about that distance from the piers, but you are allowed to access public beaches with speargun in hand. We get dirty looks all the time from soccer moms, but thats because they don't understand the laws and just assume we are unsafe. The city parks, (aka red reef, south beach boca, boca inlet) likely do prohibit spearguns on their property (not entirely sure of the legality here). I always go from metered parking in Deerfield or further south towards Ft. Lauderdale to avoid city park beaches (they don't have any good ledges within 500 yds of shore anyway). We have only been stopped once by a police officer doing this, and after explaining that fish and wildlife (F&W) said it was ok to access the beach for spearfishing (just not hunting within 100yds of shore) they let us go on our merry way and I got me some fresh dinner. Another time while spearing just south of the pier near commercial blvd, a F&W game boat came by so flagged him down and asked about the legality of spearing at that location. I only asked because there are "no spearfishing" signs on the beach. He claimed that the signs are in referecne to the 100yd from shore rule.
I say check out the places you want to shore dive from, call F&W if you are unsure, and if anybody gives you trouble just politely explain the F&W laws or find someplace else to dive. It isn't worth getting other people mad by arguing so that you can go have a good time.
PS Got any inshore Florida fish to add to the list?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT