• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lessons learned - a SWB Story

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The idea is that you actually lean back on the last 5 meters or so on the ascent. It actually works when you test it out. With a bit of positive momentum in the lean or arch and then you let yourself go limp, you actually end up face up nicely. I agree that if you were at all vertical, like on a normal ascent, you could likely end up face down.

feign,

this enire thread has been excellent and the idea of leaning way back on ascent sounds promising. very much a last ditch safety/rescue measure, to add along with the importance of focusing on getting that first breath.

i will be sure to give it a try next time out.

thanks guys ,
sean

here is another informative post on the subject, taken from a different thread, by the ever-so-wise mr. fattah (hopefully he does't mind):
http://forums.deeperblue.net/safety...oosen-weight-belt-remove-mask.html#post650647

here is a link to another similar thread with an account of surviving a SWB while spearfishing. it also provoked some good discussion and is well worth reading. in my mind, the more accident reports we have available the better.

http://forums.deeperblue.net/safety/66420-my-shallow-water-blackout-nightmare.html

cheers,
sean
vancouver, canada

Excellent post Spaghetti. Keep listening to your girl. When I am thinking of staying down "a little longer" than comfortable I flash back to those reports of lobster divers drowning that seem to get onto the forum each season & come up.
Interesting - it makes sense. I used to rock climb a lot and noticed that the onset of parenthood consistently reduced the drive/urge to push it, or even climb at all in some cases. (There are probably exceptions - the late Alison Hargreaves springs to mind). When others depend on you, the risk calculations that we all do consciously or unconsciously, are different than when you are young, free and single, and feeling immortal. The amount of time/mind-share available to train and take part tends to diminish too (being replaced by something infinitely more important).

Last edited:

I have experienced the same thing recently at the end of a dynamic/no fins attempt. I cannot remember the last 8 meters of the dive, fell into a dream (including a total loss of a sense of time) and "woke up" at the end of the pool-lane, breathing normally. My buddy didn't observe anything unusual about the way I completed these last 8 meters.

Reactions: Sorandril
From what I've been thought, Hippocampal neurons are amongst the more sensitive ones to hypoxia (the hippocampus is presumed to be the part where the short term memory is stored).

I became attracted to learning more about free-diving just this year after returning from a vacation in Alaska. Snorkeled in Ketchikan. Got back home and hit the web. This thread was the first one that came up.

A very sobering story. Thank you for posting it. I have never tried to free-dive beyond swimming pool depth, or hold my breath for more than 30 seconds, but at least I am now aware of the dangers of SWB. This is downright frightening.

glad to hear your ok that was a really intense story .I always feel im safe in 90-100 feet definetly gave me a little reality check thanks for sharing

You probably are safe at 90-100 feet. Since virtually every blackout I've ever heard about (outside of dedicated line dives with safety divers) occurred during dives that were shallower than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorandril
wow, Necro-Post. it really changed my diving, still not back to normal, can't get in the zone when i dive deep anymore.

hope none of you have a similar experience.

I still dive a lot, but can't seem to get it together on the deep stuff. still have lots of fun

Hi Amphibios,
Incredible story!!!

I am realy happy to see that everything is nearly back to normal.

I have 2 questions:
1. If I understand you had a meal a short (or long) time before the dive, did you or I missunderstood?
2. Can you tell us what happened after the hospital, how much time, how did the recovery go? what was different when you began diving again? etc...

Thanks mate,
Dive safe (and shalow) :friday

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…