• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lessons learned in the Bahamas - An intimate account of our most dangerous enemy.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Great story dudes. BO is humbling. Some aren't so comfortable talking about near-death experiences, so it's good to hear your end of it. I'm glad you're still around Ted.
The "void" is WAY too comfortable of a place to taunt fate.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Ted, Connor and Frank, I gave you all some karma - you deserve it!

Lucia

Some further thoughts:

Surface interval was clearly a big factor, but it wasn't the only one. This seems like a classic example of a lot of mostly little things going wrong and together creating a serious situation. We were pushing too hard to dive while the wall was in sight, which wasn't long. Our surface intervals were too short, Frank's leaving the water and my spearo background contributed to that. Ted lost track of time in the fasination of a new and beautiful place ( it is really spectacular) and possibly a little bit of unexpected narcosis. I got complacent, lost track of his dive time and did not try to call him back at a minute plus or so. I wasn't ready or alert when he cleared the surface. I hadn't fully practiced ALL safety procedures prior to the days diving(or drilled the other guys). Both of the latter led to poor and slow technique, which could have been serious. It came out ok, the main thing was I was in his face when he bo'ed.

I haven't dove with a watch in years and don't want to, but this kind of diving may demand one. Might as well get a D3. It sure would have been a good safty tool in ths situation.

Thanks all and good diving.

Connor

Reactions: Jersey Jim and Jon
scary, i hope you payed the dinner for your friends too:p

anyway have some karma

Big round of Karma to Conner for saving my little buddy's @$$!
:cool:

It's hard enough to find good freediving buddies around here I can't afford to loose any that I already have- especially ones as nice as Tedski.

Jon

Reactions: Erik
Great story guys. Safety and rescue procedures are rarely needed, but when they are it's nice if they're practiced up!

I think I'm gonna try to get everyone to run through rescue procedures on our next dive.

Aaron

Ivan
This device that Allun posted a picture of on the post "Have you ever been entangled/stuck?" is great for low vis situations and to keep track of your buddy. I made a replica of it for about $25.

here is the lanyard i now use...
1m thick strimmer wire crimped onto two steel rings. velcro wrist strap (made for DIY - hanging ladders) with quick release shackle and toggle. the toggle sits in the palm of the hand or between thumb and forefinger. you can release it with one hand without even looking. this set-up has worked very well for us....

Alun has attached this image:

As a freedive newbie, I find your story very insightful and helpful.

It is clear that I will have to wait until such time as I can have myself and a buddy (not sure where or when I will find one yet) fully trained up in the required safety procedures.

Anybody willing to come to St Helena for a 'freedive' holiday/training trip?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT