• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lets Go Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JPPLAY

Student Spearfisherman
Apr 7, 2005
I have been checking out Sask. fishery and have found Boundary resevoir at Estevan. It is a powerplant dam where they let out their warm water in the reservoir so making it so it can be dived all year. This is Sask. only lake with largemouth bass, it also has pike and walleye. I was thinking of doing a weekend trip with one or two other dives if possible, leave on Friday night come back Sunday evening. We would try to pick warmer weather of course (it all relative remember.) Erik you could always just borrow a drysuit and dive in that as you already use dry gloves.
The limits for the lake are:
2 Largemouth Bass
6, Northern Pike one may only exceed 75 cm.
5 walleye/sauger only one may exceed 55 cm.
These limits are very generous.
Erik is this the dam where your scuba diving spearfishing friend dives? If so maybe you could ask him how clear it is, and anything else about the lake; maybe he would be willing to guide us.

Reactions: spaghetti
I really wish i was in the US with you guys :( i really want to spearfish the lakes one day.

Let me know how the trip goes :D

Huw

Enjoy it, guys. I wish I was on "my" lake right now (fresh largemouth fillet with orange and pepper sauce, yum! Steamed pike with green sour sauce, yum yum!!)
Huw said:
I really wish i was in the US with you guys :( i really want to spearfish the lakes one day.
Huw
Ok, Huw, just let me know when (and you won't have to cross the ocean) :) .

That sounds like the lake he dives for sure. Vis is not great usually but that's ok for us. It's a long frakkin trip to get there dude. My Ellios 7mm will be fine in this weather no worries.
I'll call him up.
Erik

Huw said:

Let me know how the trip goes :D

Huw

Just to let you know we are in Canada not in the US.

spaghetti said:
Enjoy it, guys. I wish I was on "my" lake right now (fresh largemouth fillet with orange and pepper sauce, yum! Steamed pike with green sour sauce, yum yum!!)

You are going to share the recipes right?

Reactions: Huw
Yes of course. The pike is a classic of northern italian cuisine, so I could easily find it in english on the net (you can do it that way, or steam cook the pike and pour the sauce on it after it's cooled. It's a dish to serve cool or slightly warm with slices of polenta, which is a kind of soft cornbread)
http://www.aaanetserv.com/ricette_ice/ricette_011.htm
The largemouth with orange is a more "creative" recipe of mine. Basically it's about filleting the bass, cooking it in a pan with olive oil (or butter), half glass of dry white wine, very thinly chopped onion and garlic, green pepper grains, juice of one orange. The orange sauce: in a pan some butter, the juice of four oranges, salt and pepper, two picks of flour to help it become gluey. Ready wen the liquid of the orange juice has steamed off after low-fire cooking.
However, step one is in any case to actually spear the fishes ;-)

James, I like your thought put into the Sask excursion to Estevan. Though, I was thinking that the drive out there must be 10 hours or so? If so, with another hour or two in the other direction we could get on the coast.

lee

feign said:
James, I like your thought put into the Sask excursion to Estevan. Though, I was thinking that the drive out there must be 10 hours or so? If so, with another hour or two in the other direction we could get on the coast.

lee

Yes Erik mentioned that to me on the phone. There might be a closer one about an hour south of Saskatoon. I would be intrested in doing a week long trip to the coast so if you are intrested Lee we might be able to arrange it. West coast of the Island maybe. Give me a call when you have some free time.

They release any toxins with all that warm water? We used to fish the powerplants in the winter in tampa on a catch and release basis as they were considered inedible due to the contamination from the water outflow...

JMD said:
They release any toxins with all that warm water? We used to fish the powerplants in the winter in tampa on a catch and release basis as they were considered inedible due to the contamination from the water outflow...

To my knowledge there are no warnings on the water. I can find out to make 100% sure. In the Alberta fishing guide they dive warnings when a lake or river fish might not be safe to eat I didn't see that in the Sask. guide though.

its is safe to eat the fish out of boundary, i have been there before its nice the water is so warm but ive never been in the winter but i have talk to other ppl that have gone shore fishing there in the winter, last time i was there the water was fairly clear its stained brown and you find coal all over the bottem it would probably be an amazing weekend trip

messey said:
its is safe to eat the fish out of boundary, i have been there before its nice the water is so warm but ive never been in the winter but i have talk to other ppl that have gone shore fishing there in the winter, last time i was there the water was fairly clear its stained brown and you find coal all over the bottem it would probably be an amazing weekend trip

It good to hear from you again. How school coming along? Would you be intrested in doing some spearfishing in Sask. in the next few months?

school was good i'm glad the semester is over though

im headed to prince albert for the break there are a few spots im going to try to dive this year it might not happen with all the snow they got

probably wont be able to do anything till end of april i have 4 design classes and 3 math classes to deal with but first week of may im headed north of PA for the early trout fishing

did you guys do any fall lake trout fishing at cold lake?

Hey guys, Gabe here.

James, that lake south of S'toon you're talking about is Lovering. I sent an email a little while back about it. Not sure when you guys are thinking of going though (ice). Once the ice is off, or if it's not yet on, the visibility is great (surprising actually). I was there twice in the spring (before moving to BC) and the vertical vis was a easy 25-30 feet, horizontal was at least twice that. It's the lake used for training RCMP divers. Pike/Walleye/maybe others. I speared two big pike with a polespear. The walleye were much more finicky, but very reachable with a speargun. There are a few easy entry points.

Wish I could go with you guys if you venture out there. I will most definately be in contact with you guys if I make a trip back to SKatch this year.

If you feel the westerly wind blowing and plans bring you to the coast instead, we're diving with you!

Very much looking forward to diving with you guys again

DeepRN said:
If you feel the westerly wind blowing and plans bring you to the coast instead, we're diving with you!

Very much looking forward to diving with you guys again

When do you want to go to the coast? If you give me some dates I might be able to arrange it. I will give you a call this week or you can give me a call.

messey said:
did you guys do any fall lake trout fishing at cold lake?

No we haven't but I was planning if possible to do some fly fishing and diving after ice out for lake trout.

Thats awesome dude, the comment about diving makes more sense now.

We will have to figure something out come spring so we can dive together.

Reactions: JMD
messey, Jer and I are starting to train some here, hopefully starting this week. We normally hit a pool in the north west. We like to go to talisman but haven't been since the death last year, not sure what their reaction would be.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT