• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Light duty wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TBB

Dec 3, 2010
Hi,
I have been spearfishing/free diving for for many years now. I have always bought “real” free diving suits, as in open cell, two piece and so on. I have owned quite a few, from elios, Cressi and Omer.

Now that I have a kid, in the summer we go to the beach for the sake of going to the beach. Last summer I borrowed a wetsuit made for surfing. It was such a joy, no soapy water or anything, not much lead needed.

Now for the question: I want to buy a wetsuit for casual shore spearfishing, shallow waters (1-8m), summertime (15-20c water temp). What should I get?
I have been toying with the idea of a lined classic wetsuit, something like an elios mesh skin lined. Or maybe if one could get a one piece scuba wetsuit without any pads.

I am open for ideas, hope somebody has some, or have experience with something similar.
Thanks,
Thorbjørn

I started out with a 3mil Henderson Aqualock for dual use, the fit and quality were top notch and great for even 10-15 C with hood but it is still a bit stiff for snorkeling/freediving. Not that I know surfing suits but would expect them to still be more flexible and priced fairly cheap with thinner options available. Agreed that lined suits can go on very quick but one that is thicker and a little too tight can be a real bear.

Thanks for the replys, that Henderson was kind of what I was thinking about. I don’t know the brand that well and it’s availability is pretty limited in Europe. But if you have good experience with that kind of suit I will look at fourth element, mares or something else with that general set of features.

Have you seen the Fourth element surface 4/3mm wetsuit? It looks good for not too deep diving as well as not having to lube up.

Lots of good points about it however its on the expensive side.

Link to review video

HIGHLY recommend PoloSub. 21 measurements and about the cost of non custom. It’s amazing how thin you can go when the wetsuit fits your buddy like a glove. And everyone makes fun of my “pissette”, but it’s pretty nice to no have pee in your wetsuit.

I have never had a polo sub, but I have two suits from elios sub, witch is the same kind of deal. What I don’t want in this suit is having to deal with soapy water and be nervous with my fingernails. I want something to chuck in a beach bag, so I could get a cheeky hour of fishing with in when I am out with the family.
I was looking at a lined spearfishing suit, but I don’t have any experience with it, I have only had opencell suits.
or alternatively something like the fourth element above.
Something easier to live with, and more robust then my other suits. So a small step down in performance for more convenience.

I ended up ordering a elios sub bespoke suit. 3mm nylon outer and thermo plush inner. Hooded jacket and long Johns. So a bit like the fourth element surface material vice, but tailored and without a zipper. So I think that will be an okay compromise for my needs.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT