• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lightweight collapsible speargun for international traveling? Or trigger for pole spears?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fuzzybabybunny

Dec 25, 2015
I travel a lot and need something lightweight and compact to bring with me.

I've used polespears before but it's difficult to hold onto it in the loaded position, so I'm looking for a speargun. I'm only looking to shoot smaller to medium fish, enough to feed me and maybe one other person.

- Any spearguns that can collapse into several smaller peices?

- Any spearguns that are ultralight?

- Back to the polespear - are there any good triggers for polespears, so you can swim around without having to hold it with your hand strength in the loaded position?

Reactions: Mel Brown
Keltvic polespear from Russia in three sections, the sliding handle is I suspect from elsewhere. It is a copy with slight variations on one from Sea Hornet in Australia, but those are no longer produced.
handspear titanium.jpg

There was a company in Taiwan making this handle and at one time they were available from D-Mart, a company based in Queensland, Australia. Pretty sure this was just a sales outlet.
contact at http://www.taiwansport.com/contact_us.htm
Keltvic handspear gun R.jpg

My guess is the guy in Russia buys his handles from the Taiwan company, especially as it is branded in English and looks identical to the ones sold by D-Mart via mail order.

Last edited:
Here are the Asian polespear or handspear handles, they came in a range of colours. The trigger operates on the tilting washer principle or friction trigger. Very early spearguns used this trigger in "hinge guns", same principle, but on a smaller diameter shaft of course.
Clone handle handspear colors .jpg
Clone handle handspear.jpg

The Keltvic polespear packed for transport with Velcro straps.
handspear gun clone titanium 2.jpg

The original Sea Hornet Handspear Gun which is all stainless steel. Originally these had a bronze coloured plastic handle, but black plastic was used in later years. The telescopic handspear was long even when the forward section was retracted, so not a very compact item. They were never offered with a multi-piece pole that screwed together, unlike the Russian version in titanium. A weighty unit has more impact when you hit the fish due to its momentum, but a lot will depend on what and where you will be hunting.
handspear 2.JPG

handspeargun.jpg

I travel a lot and need something lightweight and compact to bring with me.

I've used polespears before but it's difficult to hold onto it in the loaded position, so I'm looking for a speargun. I'm only looking to shoot smaller to medium fish, enough to feed me and maybe one other person.

- Any spearguns that can collapse into several smaller peices?

- Any spearguns that are ultralight?

- Back to the polespear - are there any good triggers for polespears, so you can swim around without having to hold it with your hand strength in the loaded position?

Have you considered a pneumatic speargun? A salvimar 75 or 65 predathor vuoto should fit in most regular travel cases.

I shot in poor visibilIty a 28 inch/71 cm bluefish a 35in /88cm striped bass and a triggerfish a few days ago with the Salvimar 55 cm..

Portability, quick reload, ease of attaching a GoPro, power in a small package is what made me switch to pneumatics

Attachments

• G0281050-3.jpg
    G0281050-3.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00134.jpg
    DSC00134.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC00114.jpg
    DSC00114.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC00119.jpg
    DSC00119.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 207
As for collapsible spearguns Nemrod made a “Weekend” model that was a three piece versions of their "Gaucho" band gun. They were not in production long probably because the "Gaucho" itself was not much of a gun and was a sinker due the rear section flooding.
Nemrod Gaucho Weekend three section band gun.jpg

gaucho parts diagram R.jpg

JBL had their “Travel Magnum”, a model that I have had myself for many years, its main virtue is it could be hidden out of sight in your car during road trips when the vehicle was parked.
JBL Magnum 2RR.jpg

Just chanced on this fibreglass pole spear from Taiwan made under the "A-Jiou" brand name. The trigger operates by hooking over a small washer which means the draw is fixed, however that is not really a problem as you usually cock these things to about half-way distance on the pole. Can be used with more than one band.
ajiou hand spear.jpg

New speargun company called TAG spearguns out of California. I had been thinking about a travel speargun as I already tote fishing and snorkeling gear on my vacations. Came up on their site and pulled the trigger on my very first speargun. I don't have any experience spearing at all, but everything about these spearguns seemed legit to me. I can say they have amazing customer service.

Reactions: TAGSpearguns
New speargun company called TAG spearguns out of California. I had been thinking about a travel speargun as I already tote fishing and snorkeling gear on my vacations. Came up on their site and pulled the trigger on my very first speargun. I don't have any experience spearing at all, but everything about these spearguns seemed legit to me. I can say they have amazing customer service.

Looks like it uses another variation on the grip handle used by Huntmaster or MVD, the latter producing them for other brands. The only thing new is the take apart barrel which is an idea that has come and gone a few times. To do it properly you need a strong join where the barrels fit together. This one uses a degree of overlap in the tubing. Ditto for the two piece spears as you don't want them bending in the middle.

attachment.php

IMG_1491_edited.png
TAG TWO PIECE BARREL.jpg

TAG TWO PIECE BARREL disassembled.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it uses another variation on the grip handle used by Huntmaster or MVD, the latter producing them for other brands. The only thing new is the take apart barrel which is an idea that has come and gone a few times. To do it properly you need a strong join where the barrels fit together. This one uses a degree of overlap in the tubing. Ditto for the two piece spears as you don't want them bending in the middle.

attachment.php

IMG_1491_edited.png
View attachment 59231
View attachment 59232

Hey ya'll - I have been away from these forums for a bit but figured I'd chime in. I'm the owner of TAG Spearguns here in San Diego. Pete is correct as usual (I don't even know how many of your posts I've read over the years!) - I use parts from MVD and I build the barrel connection. The connection is a VERY tight fit which requires some muscle to assemble/disassemble but doesn't require tools. The track is also self-aligning. The barrel connection is both very strong and rigid. There is a short video on my Instagram of me hanging from the joint. There is absolutely zero "play" in the connection and no deflection when loaded.

Regarding the travel shafts: I have been shooting ONLY travel shafts for the last 11 years. They will sometimes bend like a normal shaft. Sometimes they will break. My shafts have a shooting line connection point just in front of the center connection so that the fish can still be landed with a broken shaft (they also have a rear connection point ). I've personally only broken 2 shafts and they were on large fish that went into the rocks. Both fish were landed.

Any questions please feel free!

Dive Safe
Cam

Readers need to remember that you only hear about complaints, rarely do people write in to praise items, although some of these may be "put up jobs" as we say here. If the fish you are targeting are unlikely to bend your shaft then there should be no problems. At times I have seen fish swimming through and then held my fire as to land it would hazard the gear which was just not set up for it. At such times you think if only I had a bigger gun, but you have to make choices even if heavier artillery is back in the car park.

Reactions: TAGSpearguns
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT