• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Line break at crimp

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

C. carcharias

Top Predator
Mar 25, 2008
Hi, guys I've had my line break at the crimp, not inside but right at the edge ( or so it seems). I am using a 1.6mm Spetton red line and their 1.6mm id crimps. I am wondering whether my crimping is too tight or perhaps I should be using bigger crimps or maybe these ones are too small or have sharp inside edges, or maybe the line just sucks? I figure that if I was crimping too tight it would be breaking inside and not at the very edge. This happened when I missed my target and the shaft just kept going and actually ended up getting lost in the lake bed :( My gun is a 75er with a single 18mm sling, so not crazy powerfull and I have a bungee on it... I bought a new shaft now and don't want to risk the same thing happening again. Any tips or advice? I've emailed Spetton about it twice, and it's be a few weeks now with no response...

IMG_6729.JPG

I’ve never had this problem (I use 300lb mono) but I can try to help. How many times have you shot the gun? Do you still have the broken mono & crimp from the pic? If not you can try making a test crimp and try holding the crimp while wiggling the mono and see if it is causing any sort of abrasion. If it is, then maybe the crimps have some sharp edges? If all else fails you can switch to dyneema shooting line...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never had this problem (I use 300lb mono) but I can try to help. How many times have you shot the gun? Do you still have the broken mono & crimp from the pic? If not you can try making a test crimp and try holding the crimp while wiggling the mono and see if it is causing any sort of abrasion. If it is, then maybe the crimps have some sharp edges? If all else fails you can switch to dyneema shooting line...

Hard to say how many times the gun was shot, but probably somewhere between 50-75 times. I still have that line from pic. I've already tried doing what you sugested but I was more pulling than wiggling around, so maybe I should do a more thorough test... And yes I've been thinking about just switching to dyneema for piece of mind. 1.4 seems to be the way to go for smaller fish/ shaft? I have 115cm/6.5mm shaft now, but only 2mm dyneema that I use for my wishbones, will that be too big for the shaft? I read elsewhere that the thicker dyneema soaks more water and will induce more drag, but not sure how severe or noticeable this effect will be in my case, I am hunting in prety low vis now, so targets are fairly close, and obviously not using a reel... Maybe I should visit the local fishing store and see if they have some thinner dyneema or spectra (there is pretty much no speargear localy, everything has to be ordered...) I have recently come across some waxed rigging line that seems to be about the same thickness as the 2mm dyneema but perhaps it will have less watersoak and better performance. Thanks for your help!

2mm dyneema sounds a bit thick for your setup. Maybe 1.4 or even 1.7 may be better. I personally am not a fan of dyneema shooting line. I bought some stiff aussie reel dyneema that I haven’t tried yet though. If the mono you bought is cheap why not jus change regularly? That’s what I do.

2mm dyneema sounds a bit thick for your setup. Maybe 1.4 or even 1.7 may be better. I personally am not a fan of dyneema shooting line. I bought some stiff aussie reel dyneema that I haven’t tried yet though. If the mono you bought is cheap why not jus change regularly? That’s what I do.

Yes, could be an option... just really don't want to risk loosing another shaft, everything costs 3x by the time it gets here...

It could be that you are squeezing the crimp at the ends. You should leave a flare at the end so that the sharp edge doesn't cut the line.spring&crimp.jpg

Reactions: Nicholas1986
What Bill says, crimp it so there is a nice flare at the end just before the shooting line.
If your crimp tool is small and you can’t crimp it properly in one move (as it looks on your pic) just make two, one on each side to make a nice flare.

9f14a04d52bda6a932ed54d2550f64f1.jpg

Reactions: Nicholas1986
I think that's what I did, they're small crimps so I just did one in the middle

Here is better shot

IMG_6730.JPG

Yeah, well it's crimping closer to the end that make the nice flange. Maybe try doing two times @ 1 crimp? Or getting a slightly longer crimp you can do two times....

I visited the local fishing and hunting store, to see if they had some thinner dyneema or better/ stronger line and longer crimps, but they had no idea what dyneema was and the strongest line they had was 50lb lol, I didn't bother asking about crimps, so looks like I am gonna have to order some, or do more tests like SubSub suggests maybe overlapping two crimping points to get closer to the edge to get a better flare. In the mean time I am going to try out this tarred setline that I found at the Dollar store lol (4$ for 486 feet!), should be less prone to soak and drag than dyneema, but will have to keep an eye out for fraying.

IMG_6835.JPG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT