• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Line Release Help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hali-G

Sep 30, 2012
Hey guys, ive finished making a spear gun, and i need to put a line release in. I cant attach it to the mechanism as ive already made that, but i need something thats going to let the line go. ive seen these things around (click on the link), but i dont really understand how they work, like do they just release the line because of the pull of the line, and do you just drill a hole and put the pole in and attach the line release? any ideas as to how i could add a line release would be helpful.

Google Image Result for http://www.speargun.com.au/ra_line_release.jpg

Hi, those type of line releases are very basic & need to be manually set but work fine, here is one I made.....

release.jpg

Hi, sorry you've not had any reply to your post so heres my thoughts.
I'm afraid both the guns I've made have had Neptonics triggers with an auto reset line release. All I can sugest is that you study Youtube and past posts on here for some ideas. Simplest seams to be a lever actuating on the shaft. Good luck and post some finished photos if you can.

Hi, if you are unable to get a line release to be activated by the trigger, you probably have 2 choices. Firstly a simple wedge design that holds the line in a notched wedge like the cheapest IMERSION spearguns (unfortunately I have one and it's a pain). Secondly a self triggered line release that is harder to describe in words than with diograms. Imagine you have a line catch pin that is pivoted like a door hinge, so that it moves backwards (to hold the line) and forward (to release the line). Now place a spring to the back of the catch so that it requires a pulling force to move it forward, and will spring back when released. Provided you attach the line to the gun with a bungee, the ammount of force (strength of the spring on the back of the catch) needs to counter the bungee by just enough to provide a bit of tension on the line.

It sounds like you are good with your hands, I would recomend a piece of bungee for the spring; picture a door handle, when you let go it springs back up.

I hope this helps I've used this method for other aplication succesfuly.

Can't really get it and feels like a stupid that I figured out how to build a triggerr but can't do the side line release any help please am going crazy !!!

I've made devices in the past to release tensioned loads for explosive detonation; I'm sure a similar pivot design would work as they both use the same concept. :confused:

Let me see what I can come up with, diagrams at the very least.:)

The link looks like it is for the pivoted line catch, the part of a line release that the line wraps around. I think that one is just one part of a multi part mechanism that fits inside the barrel just forward of the trigger mechanism propper. If you are attaching the line release to the outside/or inserted in the barrel, odds are you will require some part of the mechanism to do the same job as that part; maybe even looking similar or the same.

Last edited:
Surly you can see from my picture how the line release works?

Well just spent a few hours working on a prototype and realised my earlier statement was a bit over rated..... :confused:

Making a line release on something that isn't getting blown-up is a little (rather a lot) different with regards to the space available and the cosmetic appearance.

I have (though fastened to a block of wood and with no housing) got a first semi-working (concept of mechanics prior to any attempt to stick on a gun) prototype. :)

Though acurate housing is the key factor in the stability of a finished product, I will require a tap and die to progress, and some spring clips.

It follows the same idea as the internal mechanisms but attempts to put the whole thing mounted to the outside with minimal cutting away of the gun.

It makes scense that the purchased mechanisms are incorporated in to the trigger housing (the ones I looked at) as it doesn't interfere with the barral propper.

Hope to get diagram pictured before Sunday (re-drawn away from all the scribbles).

Second post down from the top, unless I am the only person who can see it?

Well isn't that just [REMOVED] dandy :vangry
I can't [REMOVED] believe I didn't [REMOVED] see that first, I'm so [REMOVED] happy. rofl

A line release that can be added to a gun and works...... mutter.... mutter

I'm so glad I spent half a day tinkering with a prototype that looks [REMOVED] compared to that.:blackeye

I gather the spear lifts the back section up and thus stops the line holder from moving forward until the spear is ejected?

I'm throwing in my towel. :head

It's obvious that Foxfish has all the proven knowledge that is needed for this one. :)

I did not see the first link to that picture :confused:
Wish I had though.

I think I can see what the two bits with screws in are doing. One is just a block to stop the line catch from revolving 360 degrees? :confused:
The other is the line catch that moves backward and forward, and it looks like the inscribed metal strap that the back, that the spear goes under is the part that stops the line catch from moving forward until the spear is released? :confused:

Does it have any springs involved? Did you purchase any of the parts?

You can use a resetting spring if you want but on my examples you need to manually re set the release. I just used a hacksaw & file to shape a piece of 3mm SS, I have also used bits & pieces from boat chandlery stores...amazing what you can find in these type of shops!

Thank you fox I get this easy but the spring one is. A little bit difficult to me !! Andi have another question please a friend of mine has a Nile tech reef gun and actually something happened that broke part of the loading butt and actually part of the wood now appears from inside its like bare wood inside does he shouldn't use in water before he fix it or its alright nothing gonna happen ??

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT