• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ling cod????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
LingCod is the best eating fish in the Pacific Northwest! although it's hard choice vs. Halibut.

Ling is one of the best tasting fish in the PNW, it can be cooked and way you could possibly deam of. I have 2 main recipies in my arsenal. Chinese black bean style fish with red ginger, and smoked fish. I actually prefer lingcod smoked because it becomes harder and chewier. With any luck i have some ling this week too:t

Thanks .
I am well chuffed now cos I am off for a trip to "Cullen stack " on Monday if I don`t get called offshore and I am told ling cod everywhere.....yum!!

I see a lot when I am at work that are huge but can`t touch..lol

BBQ ling is whats going to happen now....plus lobster and mussles . Smoked sounds mmmmmmmmm too and there are a lot of smoke houses about here too.

can`t wait

cheers

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how you roll. First tie off the rod holder...

Put enough time in so you can do as the Sultan- :king

(1) Hose clamp a couple of stainless broom/mop holders to your bailout bottle. (2) Snap your trusty Voit (JBL) Custom with a couple beef'd 5/8 bands and a rock/spinner tip and a single wrap into the holders. (3) Amaze the rack operator and totally piss off the management, until they taste it, that is.

Instant smoothness. :cool:

If you like beer battered fish, there are few better to use than lingcod...
Ron.

Hey Icarus,
So you like that JBL Custom for Lings? Looks like a deadly hole gun and I wondered why it didn't come with stronger bands.
I got my first ling a couple weeks ago. I was using a 75cm euro modified with an open muzzle and two 9/16" red bands. Had a 27 incher try to skirt around me at about 10'. I only had one band pulled, but still sent a shaft through his spine just behind the head and into the sand. Now I'm hooked. No more perch for me!:p
Ron.

@ Icarus Pacific.......pure class!!!!
I wish, I wish, I wish!!!!!!
LOL
Was in Rose field 2 years ago.....lobster everywhere, I mean everywhere, nothing less than 10 lb. I would pick one up ....."put that down", pick up another even bigger....."back to work" this went on for most of dive.
Soooo right, its all miserable faces till they try it! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,
sorry to go off on a tangent, but i havent heard much on this species. Just performed a quick google image search to check out what they look like, and they look huge! Does any one out there have any pictures of personal catches that they would like to post? Are they bottom dwellers? if so, how do you go about hunting them? Any one got any idea of the spearfishing record for ling cod?

Cheers Huw

Re: Biggest Ling cod????

The current World Record is a pup compared to "Big Al." :king

In about 1977-8 in a place called Pt Lobos Reserve, good friend Fred Reicher and I were out on a pretty deep jump in Whalers Cove, with a new guy, Bill Guisti. Now Bill was new, brand new :girlie and it was the policy that to join the dive club, you had to do a couple dives with us and show your game. :martial

So I'm down at like 70' (yes, on SCUBA :hmm ) taking some color stills of the giant Metridium anemones there and getting all artsy with the lighting, when all of a sudden Fred comes roaring over the rise with that look of "Come quick!!" showing through the mask. He's hooting and hollering in his mouth piece and I'm thinking, "Aww ***** the new guy freaked and he's on the surface looking like a bleeding blimp..." :rcard I go hauling over the rise with Fred and see Bill on the bottom, stretched out flat. With bubbles flowing from his regulator.

"Cool", I think, but Fred's still hooting, "Rook, rook!!" Now I don't play chess, so I give him the international reply, "huh??". Then I see it. :cool:

Bill is about 5'7" and had a pair of Scubapro Jets on so he was 6'-6" and with a couple feet of arms, was pushing 7'.

HE'S LAYING NEXT TO A LING COD THAT HAD TWO FEET OVER ON HIM!![/I

I mean this fish looked to all the world like a waterlogged phone pole with a gut the size of a fifty-five gallon drum under it! And Bill's just lying next to it PETTING THE DAMN THING!! I had heard old dagos go on about a mythical lingcod named Big Al, but you know how that goes... Here it was!! I don't know if I'd have even tried a shot at it, as it had to go 500 plus pounds. :crutch

So I popped a few photos that to this day I can't find from the divorce, and the moves, :waterwork but that damn thing followed us around for the end of the dive even going so puppy-like as to lay on my fins when I knealt to take some photos of the strawberry anemone clusters! :head

I'm running out of exclamation points here folks!! It's still one of the damnedest and funniest things I've seen in the 35 years of getting wet.

Oh yeah, Bill passed. But I never saw Big Al again. :mute

Hmm, I don't think I'd take a shot at a 7' ling with my 75cm gun. A fish like that could seriously kick your a$$ if it wanted to. I dive Lobos from time to time, but have never seen anything like that. Cool! If you ever find those photos you gotta post them!
Ron.

I think you are talking about 2 different fish here. The north sea Ling is a member of the cod family, and a different species from the pacific Lingcod
European ling are good eating and get pretty big (100lb+) but the British spear caught record is tiny (1.73kg I think) as you only really get them in deep water in the south of the UK
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT