• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lingcod and Cabezon

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Baka

Oct 13, 2005
Hi
Im new to spearfishing, i have gone twice mainly after lingcod and cabezon. Both times i went i used a 5 foot polespear with trident style spear with barbs, i had trouble getting my fish beacause i need to get real close to them in order to sink the barbs in. I think that im going to puchase a speargun but i have no idea what type, i dont have a lot of money so i was thinking about buying a JBL D7 Carbine Speargun from leisurepro.com, but the water that i freedive in is kinda cold (I freedive in the Straight of Juan de Fuca between Washington State and Canada's Victoria) and i heard that cold water ruins bands, and that i should go with a pneumatic gun. I have no preference i would just like to have something that can kill a Ling or cabezon effectivly. Thanks

Welcome to DB amigo. I hunt in similar conditions, and assure you that your bands will be fine. Pneumatics can be problematic as there are seals and friction to deal with. Banded guns are simple, reliable, and easy to fix in the field if there are problems.
A JBL Explorer or bigger will be fine for those fish, but JBL's are heavy for a freediver. If you're on scuba, then not really a problem.
I just spent a week on the coast, shooting Kelp Greenling and Rockfish. My gun is an OMER T-20, 75 cm. Do some searching here to look into European guns if you're interested. I have some JBL's but prefer my OMER :)
Peace,
Erik Y.

I use a 90cm Omer for most salt water work, the 75cm T-20 would be a great way to start your spearfishing career. I have owned many JBL's. they are the old chev truck to my Lamborgini Omer.

good luck!

I use a 90 CM Rob Allen with a 50 ft float line for lings.
The 90 CM is easy to load and maneuver around rocks. The float line comes in handy for marking fish wholes. Lings stay in the same area. They have a hunting ledge, a get away whole (were they run and hide) and a wait for you to go away whole (were they hang out waiting for you to go away). A little UK flashlight that straps on your mask strap is handy for finding hiding lings. Or try leaving a stringer of rockfish on the bottom; the lings will sit next to the stringer.

Baka, I have both a banded gun and a spearpole and both work fine for killing ling and cabizon. I use a double barb on the gun spear and a paralizer on the spear pole. I freedive with both and both are effective. Oh and the cold water hasn't bothered the bands on my gun in four or five years of use. It's like everything else we use in the ocean make sure it gets a good cleaning after use.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT