• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Liquivision F1 release date: April 20, 2005

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

efattah

Mar 2, 2001
Here is an update on the development progress of the Liquivision F1 freediving/scuba-diving computer. As stated previously, this is the first dive computer in the world to use an organic LED display matrix (128x64 with yellow pixels on black background). It is also the first to display velocity and salinity during the dive.

As the release date approaches, timelines are becoming more clear:

- First in-water test of larger-than-life prototype: Feb 10, 2005
- First in-water test of final version: March 29, 2005
- 25 gauges ready to ship w/programmer cradles: April 20, 2005
- Second batch of gauges (probably qty 50) ready to ship: June 20, 2005
Price:
Gauge only: Euro $295
Programmer cradle: Euro $95

Initial manufacturing capability: up to 2000 gauges per year

I can also confirm a successful test of the salinity detection circuit. So the F1 will display water salinity if desired. Not only that, but it can record salinity as a function of depth, as well as temperature as a function of depth, since the temperature sensor reaches equilibrium in only 10 SECONDS, due to a heatsink on the base plate. The salinity response is instantaneous. Compensating depth for salinity & temperature will allow unprecendented accuracy of depth measurement (in 0-30m, accuracy could be a few centimeters). Accuracy in the 0-160m range will be amazing. From 160m - 300m accuracy will be somewhat less. It is possible that the F1 will be able to show depth to 500m. It could possibly even survive 1000m. I just need to find water that deep to test it!

So far, all circuits have been successfully tested except for the battery charge circuits which will be tested in the next few days.

The F1 itself has no buttons. To select modes, select language, program alarms, review dive logs, etc., the gauge is put into the cradle (optional accessory for Euro$95), a small contraption which contains rechargeable batteries. The cradle has a bunch of buttons which allow easy selection of modes and so on. The cradle itself is not waterproof. The cradle can also be plugged into a PC, and the cradle has the appropriate circuitry to re-program the entire software on the F1. The cradle can be used to recharge the F1 up to three times, before the cradle itself needs to be recharged. The rechargeable battery life of the F1 is 2-4 weeks, depending on how much diving is done, and depending on whether or not it is used as a watch (clock) 24 hours a day.

Memory has been increased to 2MB (2048KB). This means sampling rate could (in theory) be set to 10 samples per second or more, for more accurate stroke/velocity information.
The alarm is rated for 98dB @ 5cm. It is about 10-20 times louder than the D3 alarm, but still not as deafening as I had hoped. However a buzzer chip which would produce a deafening alarm is simply too big to fit in such a tiny package.

The real-time clock allows for setting of 2 time of day alarms. Clock function can be disabled to conserve battery life.

The huge electric current capacity of the rechargeable battery in the F1 means that the computer will not suffer strange malfunctions in cold water. It should function properly in supercooled seawater of -6C or colder. The battery can provide 80 times more electric current than the CR2032 in the D3. Because the battery never needs to be changed, there will never be any problems with o-rings or other unreliable components.

The F1 displays the % of battery power remaining, and the estimated time until battery failure.

The PC interface software will be released in late 2005. This allows downloading of dive data and so on. You can always review your dive on the gauge itself, like the D3/stinger etc... even without doing a download.
The PC software development kit which will allow full reprogramming of the gauge will be released in the 2nd half of 2006. This will allow programming of ANY type of gas model for trimix or tech decompression, etc... with an open-source community, I'm sure some tech diver will come up with a marvelous display/interface/software for tech divers. The programming interface will be in high-level C language, quite simple to learn. For liability reasons, there will likely not be any official deco software released for the gauge. Users will need to load open-source programmed software into their own gauge using the PC interface.

I also plan on releasing a head-mounted version, which would 'float' the computer on the left or right side of your face. I'm open to suggestions on how to design the headmount. The headmounted version would allow a diver to view his/her sinking speed in real time, to know exactly when to stop kicking etc... and/or improve streamlining.

Alarm Function

There are 20 programmable alarms.
For each alarm, you select the following:
- Depth > x, depth < x, depth = x
- Velocity > x, velocity < x, velocity = x
- Time < x, time > x, time = x
- How many times should this alarm beep (1-10 beeps, or continuous)

For example, you could set an alarm on the descent (i.e. time > 0, time < 60 sec), to go off in the range of 30m - 80m, when velocity is less than 1.2 m/s. So, once you reach 30m, and you want to sink at 1.2m/s, the watch will beep as long as you are travelling at less than 1.2 m/s. This is just one example of the flexibility of the alarms.

You could set alarms on the descent, as follows:
1 beep at 10m
2 beeps at 20m
3 beeps at 30m
8 beeps at 80m
then again on the ascent
7 beeps at 70m
6 beeps at 60m

Of course, with the headmounted version, there are fewer reasons to use alarms, you can just look at the gauge to see what depth you're at, how fast you're going, and so on. The salinity & fast temp display will even tell you if you hit a halocline or thermocline.

Erick:
Definitely a jump from the urban streets to the F1 world! :)

Cheers,

Roberto

Congrats on the progress Eric....any chance of a pic or two, even if it's just the prototype

A new kind of diving "arousal" to mention on the other thread... absolutely impressive!

Open source... nearly the best of it!

I think Eric Fattah have find another way to watch over all of us, and be part of all the records on the next years... hard to just say thanks!

How about replacing the front glass (if he got one...) by a prism to mount on one side of the mask lents? could even be semi-reflective to don't loose too much vision area.
If this is stupid I hope to still have a chance to order one!!!

Last edited:
So what will it look like?

I remember you originally mentioning something like a head mounted computer that has huge batteries that replace the weights on your belt or something like that.

Sounds like there's been quite much evolution since then. Is it wrist-mounted? Any estimate on rough dimensions?

What kind of battery are you planning and is it still external?

Just trying to get a "feel" for the thing.

Anyway, sounds good so far!

The first version is wrist mounted, internal rechargeable battery.

Dimensions:
50mm x 36mm
thickness: about 20mm

Although I should have a real photo soon, here is a concept drawing I made of the front face some time ago:

Attachments

• f1_d3.JPG
    f1_d3.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 212
I'm not sure, and with out a picture is hard to see... but have the logo so close and in a bigger font than the interface could result confusing!

Hi Pablo,

What you see there is a concept drawing. I am working on a logo redesign with Eric and the "cosmetics" will be finalized once the guage is finished.

But thanks for the good point!

Pete Scott
Vancouver, BC

what kind of strap will it have?

i think a long wide non-neoprene velcro strap would be perfect - cheap, sturdy, easy to fit and replace?...

I don't know how hydrodynamic or cost effective it is, but maybe the HUD could be made by attaching the instrument to a head harness similar to those that hold one-eyed night vision instruments? Then you can play with the distance and angle all you want....

I was thinikng for a second about a transparent suction button that holds the F1 from one side and sticks to your mask's lense, but with all the pressure change it probably won't be that trustworthy and will cost a computer...
pitty though, I deem it kewl.

Eric Fattah.
Looks like great stuff you are pulling out of the hat there :king, and I must admit that I just can’t wait to get my little hands on one of those.
So the question still stands where will it be possible to purchase ( or maybe pre order) this wonder of the apnea world??

Sales of the F1 will be via several methods:
Method #1: Direct sale at http://www.liquivision.ca (site not up yet)
Method #2: Via freediving courses (i.e. Kirk Krack, Rudi, Solomons, Apnea Academy etc..)
Method #3: Via distributors (working on getting a distributor in most countries)
Method #4 (unconfirmed): Possibly it might be sold via DiveInn/ScubaShop eventually

Eric,

Drop me a line - I'm obviously in a good position to help sell it both direct (via our courses) and through this and other websites.

G'Day Eric, looks great, can't wait to buy one. One quick question - how is the interface between the watch and a PC made? Is it similar to the design on the D3?

Cheers,

Brad

The F1 itself has eight pins which are on the left side of the case, sort of like the two pins on the side of an apneist.

You lock the F1 into the cradle, and then plug the cradle into the PC via serial cable. Then you load the PC with the interface software.

However, there is little reason to use a PC. After all, because the F1 has a 128x64 graphic display, you can view the graph of your dive on the watch itself!

I was thinking of doing a USB interface, but it is much more complicated both electronically, and the PC software is also harder to write.

I could calibrate it...

Hi Eric,

currently I am working in a company where I developed a precision-pressure test-rack where I can theoretically expose Sensors to pressures up to 400 bar with an inaccuracy of less than 0.01 %. I can also check your computer at temperatures from -40...120°C.
If you are interested send me a private mail! Of course it is free of charge, but please do not tell my chief...

Best regards,
Carsten

Thanks Eric - one more quick one, and the reason I asked... assuming you can make a waterproof link to the watch, will it allow real-time interface via these pins? As an example, suppose I made say a sensor which detected whether you were vertical or not... can I then program the watch on my computer to get that information from the sensor over the pins while underwater?

Cheers,

Brad

Brad,

Your idea might work--it's hard to tell. The reason is that the external interface pins are not designed to work underwater. What it means is that the two UART pins (TX and RX), may suffer crosstalk underwater due to the conductivity of seawater. It could work---it would have a great chance of working in fresh water, and it might work in saltwater, but without a test it would be difficult to predict. There is a way you could make it work though, for certain. That would be to encapsulate the pin interface with your sensor, in a gelatinous urethane, insulating the pins from the seawater. You could use the same gelatinuous urethane that I use to encapsulate the circuits inside the gauge.

BTW, I just took the first pictures of the first F1 prototype (life size). However the PC interface for my digital camera isn't working, so I'll try to post the pictures tomorrow. It looks awesome!

Eric,
What about
Blue Tooth,
could this be used for downloading or is it not practical for this instrument.
Sorry I am not very computer literate but gather that Blue tooth is a wireless method of info transfer for computers and mobile phones etc, thought it may work.
Good luck on your project sounds interesting.
Peter

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT