• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Locations In Ottawa Region

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bolts

Jun 1, 2004
Hey all,

Just curious to see what people know about places to freedive in the Ottawa region. I know of the quarry near Wakefield, Quebec...how about any others?

Bolts,

We just finished holding the Eastern Regional Freediving Competition in Ottawa! Make sure you contact the Ottawa freedivers, there is another quarry the location of which is shrouded in secrecy, however it's rumored to be 300m deep with a vis of over 30m :D The Ottawa freedivers will be doing a dive there on July 25th if my memory serves correct. I'm hoping to be there, but I may be in Wisconsin for the Freediveapalooza.

Contact Wetmatt, rcerdena or Jason Billows (their DB names) if you're not in contact with them already.

Are you new to the area? Or possibly new to freediving? Either way, great to hear from new people in the area!

Cheers,
Aaron

Hey there,

I knew about the competition, but unfortuntately for whatever reason didn't get to check it out. I'm not really new to the area, but am completely new to freediving. I've been in contact with the guys you mentioned, and they've been extremely helpful. I managed to check out a training session with those guys, and it was really great! I haven't gone back since then since they were training for the upcoming competition, but hopefully with that done now I can tag along a bit more.

Hi Bolts.

Hopefully we'll see you out sometime soon. Don't know about the other guys, but I won't be back in the water until Saturday at the earliest. Probably doing pool sessions next Tuesday and/or Thursday. Drop us an email.

There are plenty of other places to dive around Ottawa other than the Quarry. Some of them are more depth restrictive though.

The St. Lawrence is only an hour away and you can dive on a number of wrecks there. Sometimes current can be an issue, but it's possible.

There are also plenty of lakes in the Gatineau's. David Rousseau comes from Tremblant regularly to dive with us at the quarry, but they have lots of lakes around there also.

Talk to you soon.

Jason

Cool, thanks for the invite! I'm originally from the Brockville area, so the St. Lawrence seems very close to me. Would be cool to see what's actually down there on the river...being from there I really take it for granted a lot more than I should. :eek:

The St. Lawrence has some of the best wreck dives in the world I'm told. Because of the cold winters and the fresh water, the wrecks don't deteriorate as quickly as they would in warm saltwater. The summer water temperatures are actually quite warm though.

Jason

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT