• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
My bookmark for DB takes me to the forums page.

I never log off, but recently I was gone to Germany for 8 days, and when I returned, I found that I was not logged in. When I tried to log in again, I got the standard message thanking me for logging in, and then was directed back to forums page, where I was still not logged in. After repeating this several times with no improvement, I tried clicking on the home page link. There I showed as logged in, and when I next click on the forums page, I'm still logged in.

So in summary, it seems I have to start on the home page to be logged in. Its not a huge PIA, but it was never this way in the past.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah, this is a sigh from the dive gods that we need to get back in the water.:)
Happy almost New Year Bill.
Cheers, Don

Same to you Don.

I'm keeping my powder dry for now and hoping for an early spring.

Well, I managed to solve it myself. I simply deleted the old bookmark for the forums page and then bookmarked it again. Now It opens with me checked in.

Well, this is most likely because your browser is set not to accept cookies, and hence the forum generates an address containing unique session ID instead (you probably see some long cryptic hexadecimal number in the bookmarked address). It means, when you log in from another location, or the session expires for some reason, your bookmark will no more work again. The solution is simple - enable cookies at least for the deeperblue.com domain. If you use Firefox, you can do it in Tools >> Options >> Privacy >> Cookies >> Exceptions >> address = deeperblue.com >> Allow

In Internet Explorer v8, you can double-click the "eye" icon in the bottom status bar, select the deeperblue.com domain in the list, click "Summary", and then "Always allow...". Or you can go to Tools >> Internet options >> Privacy and do the change there. I do not advice lowering the privacy level though. Using the exceptions as written is better.

Once you set the cookies as I wrote, log out and in again to receive simple address without the cryptic session id (simply http://forums.deeperblue.com/usercp.php). It will then work forever without any need to change, regardless if you log in from another location or not.

Thanks, but my browser, Safari, is set to accept cookies.

If you have the cryptic session id in the address bar, then the cookie was not accepted. Is it there or not?

Are you by chance clicking the "New Posts" link and then bookmarking that page?

If you do that, that link eventually expires and you will get the results you are experiencing. To fix this, you just need to edit the address of the bookmark and change it to:

http://forums.deeperblue.com/search.php?do=getnew

and that will work indefinitely.

If you have the cryptic session id in the address bar, then the cookie was not accepted. Is it there or not?

I don't know what that means.

Are you by chance clicking the "New Posts" link and then bookmarking that page?

If you do that, that link eventually expires and you will get the results you are experiencing. To fix this, you just need to edit the address of the bookmark and change it to:

http://forums.deeperblue.com/search.php?do=getnew

and that will work indefinitely.

No, I'm clicking the Forums link. I do the same thing on Spearboard and Spearfishing Planet too. It seemed to last for the 5 years since I joined DB, so that is close enough to forever for me now that I understand the problem. I've just deleted the old bookmark and created a new one, and it seems to work fine. If I'm still alive and diving when this bookmark expires, I'll probably figure it out again.

I don't know what that means.
When you open the bookmarked page, on the address bar of the browser, you either see:

http://forums.deeperblue.com/usercp.php (that's without the session ID)

or something like this:

h t t p : / / f o r u m s . d e e p e r b l u e . c o m / u s e r c p . p h p ? s = 1 2 3 e b 9 1 2 3 7 b c 8 6 e e 8 7 8 a 3 c d 8 e 1 6 5 c a a 6 3
(that's the adress including the session ID, when your browser refuses the cookie from DB)

EDIT: arrgh, the forum removes the ID automatically, so I cannot post it - I had to insert spaces between the characters

Last edited:
Last edited:
The forum software removes the session ID automatically, and you better do not post it, otherwise someone coul log into your account and mess with your private data - the ID I posted above after several attempts (after tricking out the forum filter), was just a faked one.

Fix: Edit the link URL (path) to change the .net suffix to .com.
I am now automatically logged in, just as I used to be. :)

My experience was similar to Bill's but with Google's fast Chrome browser, cookies enable. However, it only affected the start page. If you don't log in but instead navigate to a different page, voilà, you are logged in!

However, I noticed that notice the link's URL uses .net rather than .com. Even if I navigate back to that page, I again appeared to be logged out. Changing DeeperBlue.net to DeeperBlue.com (our new name) solves the problem. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Aha! Then I guess that explains how I fixed the problem by deleting the old bookmark and replacing it with a new one. The old one was .net, and the new one is .com.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT