• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Logistics & Bleeding (Beginner)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sinochief

Sep 27, 2016
Hi all,

Beginner spearo here from Sydney, Australia. Just a few noob questions, thanks in advance. Note: I'll be shore diving from various headlands.

1. After a dive, how do you store your wet gear? I've considered buying a PVC box and just leaving it in the boot of my car. Probably not applicable to my fins and gun though, too lengthy, I'll just dry them off with a towel.

2. After shooting a fish, should I spike, bleed, and gut it immediately (in the water)? I'll have an eski/cooler filled with ice slurry on the rocks nearby. Maybe it'd be better to exit the water immediately to spike, bleed, and gut it?

Cheers,
T

Hi Sinochief, good questions.

1. Wet gear
You really want to wash the salt and any sand off as soon as practical. It might be an idea to carry water for this purpose but I don't currently.

Car Storage
I usually have a large, unsealed plastic dive box in the back of my car. Most gear goes in there. My wetsuit, gloves, socks go in a big Ikea bag on top (I have a second one for family wetsuits). I have a tough, stiff shopping bag with plastic-reinforced base, as reinforcement - I put my weight belt and weight vest in that. I store my spearguns in a large rod bag, alongside fishing rods.

Flush & Dry:
When I get home or back to where I am staying, I unpack it all, rinse it all (pref. in a large Belfast sink, bath or shower) and leave it somewhere to dry. BBQ areas tend to be good for this: put small things on the table/chairs, draper wetsuits over the back of chairs or hang them under the umbrella (which also offers some protection from sun/rain). Washing lines can be handy but dive gear is very heavy. You can sometimes drip dry on racks or in shower in doors - it rains a lot here! I repack stuff once it is dry. Spearguns, I usually prop up against something and often invert them once part dry, to allow any trapped water to escape & so reduce salt/grit retention.

2. Storing fish
In the sea:
UK waters are generally not sharky, so when I spear a fish, I put it on a cable stringer. My main fish stringer is attached to my float. I often wear a cuttable, nylon waist stringer. Stringer keep the fish cool and clean and can act as a visual & scent attractor to some other fish. If you have sharky waters, I believe some use "planche"("plank") floats - essentially their dive floats are floating fish storage boxes [search this forum for more info. on these, there are some neat images]. Talk to the locals to find out what is appropriate where you are. I recommend that beginners avoid waist stringers.

Back on land:
I have used both approaches that you describe successfully, so up to you. If driving to a dive, I take an ice box with cold ice packs - and leave some shopping bags and large plastic bags in the car in case I forget the box or catch something that won't fit the box. I used to gut the fish at home, before flushing my gear [see above], so the fish could be frozen or ready for the table a.s.a.p. I retain fish guts & heads and freeze them for lobster pot bait or chum/burley, or, sometimes, my wife will use the head & bones to make fish stock (good base for seafood soups).

But recently, I have tended to gut fish at sea, immediately after dispatching them. It reduces the post dive workload, when many things need to be done quickly. It means less mess to clean up back home. It creates instant chum, right where you are fishing now and means less mass and volume to tow around with you. You still have the fish heads, which can be used in lobster pots or for stock. The gutted fish will of course look smaller and weigh less, if weights and photographs are important to you, post dive.

Reactions: MarsArtis
Hi Mr. X,

Thanks for the response, really helpful. To clarify, do you place all your wet gear (immediately post-dive) into the 'large, unsealed plastic dive box, Ikea bag, & tough, stiff shopping bag ' on the drive back home?

Cheers,
T

"...on the drive back home?"

If there is a tap (AmE. faucet) or shower nearby, I rinse the gear immediately. If you have bottled water, you might want to flush the worst of it (e.g. speargun trigger mech. if conditions have been gritty and/or wetsuit). If there is no freshwater, then I have no option except to put the gear in the plastic box & Ikea bag. By all means let it drip dry a bit first if practical. Often, for me, there is a walk-in of some kind involved, so most of the surface water is gone before packing the car. Sometimes I walk in geared up, sometimes not.

Don't leave the gear hanging about in the box/bag/car. When you get back, take it straight out and start rinsing it and then hang/leave it somewhere to dry.

There are four very active spearfishing clubs in Sydney with a monthly competition. Each club also has at least one monthly meeting. The clubs are pretty well divided up into north, south, east & west geographically & all are very welcoming to new spearos. Enter USFA spearfishing into any search engine & I'm sure you will find us. We just held the Sydney Cup this Sunday at Long Reef & this was our 70th anniversary for the USFA. Pitty you missed it we had a good roll out & several older life members & legends of the sport turned up to rub shoulders with everyone. If you are serious about getting into spearfishing, joining a club will give you a shortcut to success & also be the safest way.

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi Sharkey,

Cheers for the info. I live in South West Sydney, and will definitely look into joining the USFA.

Reactions: sharkey
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT