• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Long fins that fit just right with 2mm sock or bigger size that fit right with 3mm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ChopSticks

Dec 11, 2021
Alright, so I'm in the stages of accumulating freediving/spearfishing gear and I'm currently on the fins. Based on the interwebs and reviews it appears foot pocket / interchangeable fins are the best route. I've landed on the Cressi Impulse Modular. I'm currently in possession of a size 40/41 (8-9) and 42/43 (9-10). I order the latter first and my true size is around a 10 but a bit narrower? I noticed that I could fit more than 2 fingers in the 42/43 so I ordered the 40/41 which fit near perfect without any socks...

From my understanding, socks are recommended from preventing the friction/blister/chafing, so I got 3mm socks. Now the 42/43 fit much better, less than 1 finger room and much more snug in the front part. But the 40/41 with 3mm socks start to uh.. tingle? no pressure point pains but after sitting there for 10-15 stationary and taking them off my foot definitely feels relieved. so I then ordered 2mm socks, and now the 40/41 are much better, and the 42/43 are looser.

So I guess the question is if you fall between sizes which would you prefer or go with? the right fit with thinner socks or a looser fit that fits right with thicker socks? Most of my diving will be in warmer Caribbean or APAC waters, but since their modular foot pockets I figure I need to at least get this part right in regards for future possibilities? Assuming the smaller 40/41 would prevent me from going any colder since I can wear thicker than 2mm? but not sure if it's advised against to go too big/loose with thicker socks?

Go with the thicker socks and larger foot pockets. I use 5mm socks with my fins in all conditions. In the summer I'm just in my speedo. I've never felt that my feet are too hot. In the winter I'm in my 5mm full suit and my feet are not cold. Never ever go with fins that are too tight. You don't want to be the one on a group dive that says hey everyone I can't continue my foot is bloody, sore, raw tingling, and my toes are going to freeze off.
In an ideal world your fins will fit perfectly with your sock and still be OKish (don't fall off) without socks if you happen to forget the socks one day.
FWIW, IMHO, modular foot pockets are awesome for making travel easier, but overrated for switching out blades. If you have a pair of plastics fins they will last you your entire life even if abused. You can buy a 2nd pair of nicer fins later for occasions when you want/need them and lend out your plastics.
One of the things I really love about freediving/scuba is that a lot of the gear if treated well will last. My dad still uses his scuba mask, fins, weights from 50 years ago! <- not an exaggerations. My mask is 21 years old and I use it 2-4 times per week. Even wetsuits can have very long lifetimes, my friend used my 21 year old wetsuit two days ago when we dived together. Yes it has some little holes and other problems, but it is 100% ok for an hour of diving.
Sorry rant over, just saying that you should get something that really fits well as your #1 criteria.

Alright, so I'm in the stages of accumulating freediving/spearfishing gear and I'm currently on the fins. Based on the interwebs and reviews it appears foot pocket / interchangeable fins are the best route. I've landed on the Cressi Impulse Modular. I'm currently in possession of a size 40/41 (8-9) and 42/43 (9-10). I order the latter first and my true size is around a 10 but a bit narrower? I noticed that I could fit more than 2 fingers in the 42/43 so I ordered the 40/41 which fit near perfect without any socks...

From my understanding, socks are recommended from preventing the friction/blister/chafing, so I got 3mm socks. Now the 42/43 fit much better, less than 1 finger room and much more snug in the front part. But the 40/41 with 3mm socks start to uh.. tingle? no pressure point pains but after sitting there for 10-15 stationary and taking them off my foot definitely feels relieved. so I then ordered 2mm socks, and now the 40/41 are much better, and the 42/43 are looser.

So I guess the question is if you fall between sizes which would you prefer or go with? the right fit with thinner socks or a looser fit that fits right with thicker socks? Most of my diving will be in warmer Caribbean or APAC waters, but since their modular foot pockets I figure I need to at least get this part right in regards for future possibilities? Assuming the smaller 40/41 would prevent me from going any colder since I can wear thicker than 2mm? but not sure if it's advised against to go too big/loose with thicker socks?

did you try them on with wet socks, fins and feet? The fit and feel are likely different.

Go with the thicker socks and larger foot pockets. I use 5mm socks with my fins in all conditions. In the summer I'm just in my speedo. I've never felt that my feet are too hot. In the winter I'm in my 5mm full suit and my feet are not cold. Never ever go with fins that are too tight. You don't want to be the one on a group dive that says hey everyone I can't continue my foot is bloody, sore, raw tingling, and my toes are going to freeze off.
In an ideal world your fins will fit perfectly with your sock and still be OKish (don't fall off) without socks if you happen to forget the socks one day.
FWIW, IMHO, modular foot pockets are awesome for making travel easier, but overrated for switching out blades. If you have a pair of plastics fins they will last you your entire life even if abused. You can buy a 2nd pair of nicer fins later for occasions when you want/need them and lend out your plastics.
One of the things I really love about freediving/scuba is that a lot of the gear if treated well will last. My dad still uses his scuba mask, fins, weights from 50 years ago! <- not an exaggerations. My mask is 21 years old and I use it 2-4 times per week. Even wetsuits can have very long lifetimes, my friend used my 21 year old wetsuit two days ago when we dived together. Yes it has some little holes and other problems, but it is 100% ok for an hour of diving.
Sorry rant over, just saying that you should get something that really fits well as your #1 criteria.
Thanks, that was what I was originally thinking also. I just wasn't sure if there was any downsides to having too big foot pockets besides not being able to use them without socks?

The smaller size fins (40/41) fit near perfect without any socks. but after reading/researching and just previous experience with how soft your feet get and prone to blistering etc I'm not sure if there would ever be a case that I don't have a sock on?

FWIW, IMHO, modular foot pockets are awesome for making travel easier,

This is the main reason why I'm getting the foot pockets / modular. I personally don't have any luggage that is long enough for the fins as a complete set.

All good, my intention was to get well fitting gear, but I'm in the NE and don't have that many dive shops readily available so unfortunately have to rely on online shops and references. But after all the research I've done it appears Cressi would've been one of the more narrower options out of the bunch and figured this is probably the best I'm going to be able to source consider my foot is really long and narrow? If you know of any other narrower brands I'll definitely try to check them out after this trip

did you try them on with wet socks, fins and feet? The fit and feel are likely different.
I have no... I'm a bit a ways away from open water at the moment, but can always try in my tub. are they usually tighter or looser when wet?

I have no... I'm a bit a ways away from open water at the moment, but can always try in my tub. are they usually tighter or looser when wet?
From what ive felt i feel like they're generally looser more comfortable when wet, if theyre a bit loose u can always as previously mentioned go thicker in socks, theres also these things called fin keepers that help out with better fitting, ive not used them but heard they help, im diving out of jersey at the moment so i can assure u thicker socks wont hurt, i use 2.5m nut im gonna go up to some thicker ones

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT