• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking for a buddy for diving/spearing DC area

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

knmody

Oct 11, 2004
Hey everybody,

i am new to the washington DC area and am looking for somebody to go diving and/or hunting with. I am new to the sport but am eager to learn. Any help or words of wisdom would help. Is there a local shop that is freediver/spearing friendly? I am also fanatical about fly fishing and anything that has to do with water. Looking forward to hearing from some you! Thanks !!!

ketan

Hey Ketan,

The best thing to do in that part of the country is give Matt Turner at Pirate Scuba a call (410-213-0116). He owns a dive shop in OC Maryland. He carries all the gear for the 'poor' visability and knows all the locations/ people to talk to.

There is great diving in NJ, DE, MD, and VA. If you want to shoot stripers, the big fish in the area you best bet is the breakwater in Lewes, DE. Just follow directions to the Cape May-Lewes Ferry terminal and then keep going straight to Cape Henlopen State park. The Breakwaters are near the northern tip. A kayak or boat will help, but if your a very strong swimmer you can make it to the inner breakwater on a SLACK current. It can really rip there. If you have access to a water craft go for the outer breakwater. It' one mile+, but bigger fish and better vis., always. The world record sheepshead was taken there by Richard Martin and I've shot stripers up to 30lbs.

Ask Matt for the numbers to the Diamond State Skindivers, DE's club and they'll be helpfull too. Anymore Q's just shoot me a PM, or Go into the 'Spearfishing' section beloew the 'freediving' one.

-Formerly of DC and MD,
Chris

Hey Ketan,

Did you find anyone in DC to dive with? I am looking for a training partner, and pool swimming is a good start. What have you found out?

Cheers,
Chris

Hey all, outside of travelling in and out of the country, I live in Leesburg, VA. Any other freedivers around this part of town?

Hey ya'll,

I live in Alexandria, VA outside of DC. I'm getting into the spearfishing thing around here and have been making some contacts. Drop me a line and we'll make a plan!

Hi,

I live in Arlington and am also interested in learning more about spearfishing (beats taking those huge fish oil pills!). I know the visibility around here ain't the best, but an article on spearfishing in the latest issue of "Delaware Beach Life" really caught my interest.

-- Juan-John :wave

John,

Like you I'm still learning myself. I did make it down to the VA Eastern Shore a couple of weeks ago and we speared the CBBT, which was OK. Viz was bad, but I got some Spadefish and a Triggerfish.

Have you been out there yet?

Mako993:

Nope, haven't done any kinda spearfishing yet. I'm supposed to be hearing soon from a member of a local DC dive club that does a lotta spearfishing in Delaware. :)

Hello all,
I am new to both the DC area and Free diving. I am really interested in both free diving and spear fishing. I am in the Air Force and live on Bolling AFB. Please email me if you are interested (larkinrogers@juno.com)

so i realize i'm a little behind on this...only a few years, but im going to school in annapolis, and i'm really trying to get into this freediving thing. i've done a bunch of shallow water stuff in the bahamas and the keys, and i spear off tanks a lot at home out of tampa bay. i was hoping some of you all are still around, and wouldn't mind showing me what the deal is around here? thanks a lot

hi all. i am living also in D.C., and I am looking for a buddy to do some freediving. I would really like to do some line diving and do some pool practice.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT