• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

looking for dive buddy for Carribean trip summer 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cid

Dec 5, 2008
Hi,

I'm looking for a dive buddy for a spearfishing or freediving trip this summer (2009) in the Caribbean. I was thinking of spearfishing in Mexico on the Yucatan peninsula or in the US Virgin Islands. Or just freediving in the Bahamas or Bonaire (Dutch Antilles) where spearfishing is not allowed.... I'm open to suggestions..... Luckily Spirit Airways flies from the USA to nearly everywhere in the Caribbean for pretty cheap!

I would like a dive buddy for diving safety reasons, for traveling convenience, and just for plain fun. I'll probably will still go alone if I can't manage to team up with someone, but I'd rather have some company.

I'm pretty flexible with timing. It can be a 3 to 6 week trip in May, June, or July. Not so flexible with costs as I'm still a university student. So I'm thinking of shore-diving and camping whenever possible.

This winter I've been collecting all the needed gear and practicing my freediving in a pool. My personal best for Static is 2min15 and Dynamic with fins is 200 feet (60 meters). This isn't great but it's getting better every month. Let's see how all this translates into spearfishing, in which, I have no experience yet!

If you are interested send me a pm!
Michael

Last edited:
Michael...I understand what you are trying to do...BUT...I do not recommend that you go alone to a place in the Caribbean without knowing where you are going or having a local contact on the ground somewhere. Camping alone in a third world environment like the Caribbean areas is an invitation to problems...a gringo arriving in town or on Island with fancy gear and the intention to NOT spend money becomes a target.
Having said all that my suggestion is to find a rustic, basic place to base yourself - one that is inexpensive and perhaps something like a student youth hostel close to an area that is conducive to diving... a few places come to mind. Dominican Republic ( North-East district called Samana Peninsula), Puerto Rico (again the eastern end for diving,,,a lot of surf camps out there too that ain't too expensive and are in good dive areas....stay away from San Juan!) Bahamas are great too but more expensive...I think your best bet is Dom. Republic...a lot of students go there and if you elect an inexpensive hotel/youth hostel, you may be able to do some research and find a place with a local for very little money. It is a great place with friendly locals, good diving, trail riding for bikes ... there is a lot to do there....good food and "Presidente" beer is the best. Good Luck with your quest...I say DO IT! Cheeres B.

Thanks for the tips and perspective blumon!
I'll do some research about the Dominican Republic, it sounds like a good place! I agree there are smarter types of accommodation than camping. Youth hostels are a favorite of mine... but sometimes there aren't any around, especially in remote diving locations. Living with locals sounds cool, I'll have to look into it...

I know there are people out there who are thinking about the same exact kind of trip that I am... freediving in warm clear lively waters day after day... if you are dreaming of the same thing, then let's meet and maybe go together...

Michael

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT