• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking for people to spearfish with

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon305

Jan 21, 2020
Hi everyone as the title says im looking for some dive buddies to go catch some fish with, the friend i went with doesn't go anymore so, now i need new people, im in north jersey, ill most likely be heading out tomorrow to belmar, if anyones interested id be glad to meet up

Reactions: MartinK
Hi everyone as the title says im looking for some dive buddies to go catch some fish with, the friend i went with doesn't go anymore so, now i need new people, im in north jersey, ill most likely be heading out tomorrow to belmar, if anyones interested id be glad to meet up
Hello! I am also in North Jersey and my attempts to spearfish in the area were unpleasant. I used to go to the Beavertail State Park in RI because it sometimes has decent visibility and to Barnegat. All for striped bass. In Barnegat it was stressful because of the boats and going to RI is like 4 hours. Visibility in local waters could be absolutely atrocious. So I go to Azores once a year to scratch my spearfishing itch. I guess I am spoiled by clear water....

Reactions: Jon305
Hello! I am also in North Jersey and my attempts to spearfish in the area were unpleasant. I used to go to the Beavertail State Park in RI because it sometimes has decent visibility and to Barnegat. All for striped bass. In Barnegat it was stressful because of the boats and going to RI is like 4 hours. Visibility in local waters could be absolutely atrocious. So I go to Azores once a year to scratch my spearfishing itch. I guess I am spoiled by clear water....
Oh man awsome i was hoping someone would reply lol, ive been going to the shark river inlet a lot and managed to shoot a tog, went to Barnegat like a week ago but it was horrible conditions, all this rain latley has made it difficult, if weather permits i was planning to go out sometime between November 6-8, would you want to meet up and try a location? Ive only been diving around here close to shore

Oh man awsome i was hoping someone would reply lol, ive been going to the shark river inlet a lot and managed to shoot a tog, went to Barnegat like a week ago but it was horrible conditions, all this rain latley has made it difficult, if weather permits i was planning to go out sometime between November 6-8, would you want to meet up and try a location? Ive only been diving around here close to shore
Dude, thanks for the invite but I will probably pass - I shoot an air gun and hunting togs always means hitting rocks. Air gun does not like bent shafts while rubber guns can tolerate a little bend. Nevertheless we should go next year - I have not done local spearing in MANY years. There is (was?) a local spearfishing forum when they would give visibility reports. Block Island is a good spot for stripers but you need a boat and somebody who is guaranteed not to fall asleep on the way back.
Ah, check this out: https://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?s=71a964d18114beaadd9cb5b56754fea2&f=144

Dude, thanks for the invite but I will probably pass - I shoot an air gun and hunting togs always means hitting rocks. Air gun does not like bent shafts while rubber guns can tolerate a little bend. Nevertheless we should go next year - I have not done local spearing in MANY years. There is (was?) a local spearfishing forum when they would give visibility reports. Block Island is a good spot for stripers but you need a boat and somebody who is guaranteed not to fall asleep on the way back.
Ah, check this out: https://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?s=71a964d18114beaadd9cb5b56754fea2&f=144
Oh nice yeah ill check that out, i shoot a 115 seac airgun so i feel you on the struggles in bad vis and rocks haha, i was saying for anywhere or any fish in general im trying to get as many dives in as i can, id love to go get stripers or blues, if you change your mind ill be heading out those days, probably to barnegat if weather's nice, ive been using data from apps and websites to try and predict good vis but with the rain its hard to tell

Beavertail State Park
Getting in and out of the water there is a tough if there are waves, and there are usally there are waves, and one has to be careful choosing their entry and exit point there and coordinate it with tidal change. Fort Wetherill State Park is another choice in RI that has lots of marine life including Tog and striped bass.

Getting in and out of the water there is a tough if there are waves, and there are usally there are waves, and one has to be careful choosing their entry and exit point there and coordinate it with tidal change. Fort Wetherill State Park is another choice in RI that has lots of marine life including Tog and striped bass.
How is the water entry there?

How is the water entry there?

It has been a long time for me since I dove there but you will be diving from difficult rocky shoreline with waves coming to crash at these rocks. There are few entry points that make it easier to get in and out of the water. You will need to dive with a local who knows how to do it there. I can't offer you much more since it has been a very long time since I have been there. Once you make it in the water, it is one of the most beautiful dives but you have to figure out how to exit the water at the end which is more difficult than getting in usually.

It has been a long time for me since I dove there but you will be diving from difficult rocky shoreline with waves coming to crash at these rocks. There are few entry points that make it easier to get in and out of the water. You will need to dive with a local who knows how to do it there. I can't offer you much more since it has been a very long time since I have been there. Once you make it in the water, it is one of the most beautiful dives but you have to figure out how to exit the water at the end which is more difficult than getting in usually.
Thanks, I might pay a visit next year. The visibility there COULD be OK.

Reactions: DivingNomad
Oh nice yeah ill check that out, i shoot a 115 seac airgun so i feel you on the struggles in bad vis and rocks haha, i was saying for anywhere or any fish in general im trying to get as many dives in as i can, id love to go get stripers or blues, if you change your mind ill be heading out those days, probably to barnegat if weather's nice, ive been using data from apps and websites to try and predict good vis but with the rain its hard to tell
So did you go? I found this video - close to the area I used to go to: . Looks promising. Probably too late this year. Visibility is barely acceptable...
Here is the fresh one:

Last edited:
So did you go? I found this video - close to the area I used to go to: . Looks promising. Probably too late this year. Visibility is barely acceptable...
Here is the fresh one:

Whats up man, nah i didn't go Friday but i went Saturday, the day was beautiful very sunny, no winds, but just too many boats. I was hugging the rocks and still almost getting run over, water vis was atrocious, n every time a big boat came running through i felt like i was in perfect storm tryna see with a blind fold of silt on lol, still nice to get out tho, i may go again during the week and try a spot there a guy was telling me about

Here is the fresh one:

Also man i have to checkout RI, ill definitely plan a trip there n stay maybe a couple days, hopefully ill be back in Miami soon and can hop on my friends boat

Also man i have to checkout RI, ill definitely plan a trip there n stay maybe a couple days, hopefully ill be back in Miami soon and can hop on my friends boat
A friend in Miami with a boat! Now we are talking. I have never been there but I know that going from the shore is pointless. maybe one day I will get lucky! Any shark problems over there?

A friend in Miami with a boat! Now we are talking. I have never been there but I know that going from the shore is pointless. maybe one day I will get lucky! Any shark problems over there?
Ive never spearfished there just regular fishing and swimming, id imagine you could dive from shore too honestly i mean there's fish everywhere, as for sharks most definitely theres sharks all over the place but theyre not as big a problem as people make it out to be from what ive seen and heard, i just came back today from belmar and what another lovely day in green muck lol 5ft vis

I also had trouble keeping a long dive, no clue why maybe i wasn't well enough rested, have you noticed a change in your dives with certain foods or anything else?

I also had trouble keeping a long dive, no clue why maybe i wasn't well enough rested, have you noticed a change in your dives with certain foods or anything else?
Well, your dive time will vary depending on many factors - your level of rest, water temperature, time of your last meal, your health condition. To get it more or less uniform I must be on location and drive regularly for at least two weeks to get it to an acceptable level - I go up to 2:15 seconds per dive if I dive below 50 feet. But I lie down on the bottom and wait for fish to come to me. I am twice your age but it has been like that for a long time. This year my longest dive was 1:36 but there was a lot of water movement on the bottom so I could not completely relax. relaxation level is extremely important as well. As far as diving in mud - that is why I stopped spearing in the USA. I am originally from Ukraine and about 30 feet visibility is a norm for me. In Mexico I saw 120 feet horizontal visibility - it screws your head up actually. RI could have 15 feet but it is a long drive but I will go next summer for sure. You can get a 40lb striper there!

Well, your dive time will vary depending on many factors - your level of rest, water temperature, time of your last meal, your health condition. To get it more or less uniform I must be on location and drive regularly for at least two weeks to get it to an acceptable level - I go up to 2:15 seconds per dive if I dive below 50 feet. But I lie down on the bottom and wait for fish to come to me. I am twice your age but it has been like that for a long time. This year my longest dive was 1:36 but there was a lot of water movement on the bottom so I could not completely relax. relaxation level is extremely important as well. As far as diving in mud - that is why I stopped spearing in the USA. I am originally from Ukraine and about 30 feet visibility is a norm for me. In Mexico I saw 120 feet horizontal visibility - it screws your head up actually. RI could have 15 feet but it is a long drive but I will go next summer for sure. You can get a 40lb striper there!
I see, i realized that i couldnt relax either, nasty water, yeah man i need to get to RI next summer for sure im dying to get something like that, ill be doing my last dives here for this season in about a week so fingers crossed i can catch one

I see, i realized that i couldnt relax either, nasty water, yeah man i need to get to RI next summer for sure im dying to get something like that, ill be doing my last dives here for this season in about a week so fingers crossed i can catch one
There is a piece of bad news regarding stripers - you are allowed only one in all local states and the size must be between 28 and 35 inches. It makes sense for line and hook since they can catch and release but for spearfishers it will not work well. As far as the local conditions - low temp, bad visibility, strong current, boats - means ZERO comfort and your bottom time will suffer. You also must have the correct weight on your belt and that depends on how deep you are going. Staying shallow means A LOT of weight that also creates discomfort.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT