• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking for spearfishing friends in Thaïland (east coast, Koh Chang, etc.)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

neutrinou

Jul 12, 2016
Hi,

Everything is in the title. I am new in Thaïland, not really experienced on spearfishing though I love it, and looking for sparfishing buddies. I live in Korat, but I'll go soon to Koh Chang. I hope to have good conditions there, though it is sea season. Does anyone has heard about the Koh Chang Natural Park closure ? Incidences on speargun fishing ?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Pascal

Have you succeeded to fish a bit ? Found some buddies ?
I might be interested to go Thailand to hunt bit, looking for people who know the spots !

Yes I did managed to fish, but just a bit. As I said in my previous post, it is low season (and not "sea season" as I wrote by mistake). So the sea is not clear, and may be agitated. A few days to wait and it will be ok. I discovered that the Koh Chang Natural Park closure was temporary, and never meant that we could fish there.
But sorry, I cannot say that I know the spots... I only know that it is strictly forbiddent now to fish any kind of parrot. May get into real trouble.
Keep us informed (when you come, where you intend to go).

Forbidden to fish any kind of parrotfish? Is that only applied to areas in koh chang or is it all over thailand? Havent heard about this and i usually get 1 or 2 bluebars everytime i shorehunt here in Phuket

I really don't know about other islands. But I am absolutely sure about Koh Chang (3 different liable sources). Maybe just local because there is a lot of military grounds here, and you get trouble with the military if they happen to know you caught parrots.

Does anyone has heard about the Koh Chang Natural Park closure ? Incidences on speargun fishing ?

Marine national parks are off limits for spearfishing. That includes Koh Chang and the 50 other islands that make up the park.

I don't believe there is any official ban on hunting parrot fish outside of national parks.

In the island where I was, a farang who lives there and several locals (who don't know each other) told me that I may really get into trouble if they would catch me with a parrot, i.e. take my speargun and stuff. These people did not have any reason to keep me from fishing, on the contrary. I suppose that there are nationwide protected areas for certain kinds of fish, but a local decree may forbid to fish certain species. I would be surprised if my kind contradictor would know about any local decision anywhere in Thailand. To my opinion, caution advised. Anyway, everybody is free to do whatever.

It's a moot point. It's impossible for there to be a 'local' ban on any one species of fish, inside a national marine park where it's completely illegal to kill ALL species of fish.

It isn't illegal to kill a parrotfish in Koh Chang because it's a Parrot fish. It is illegal to kill a Parrot fish in Koh Chang because Koh Chang is a National marine park where all spearfishing is illegal.

Apologies, I made a mistake, and talked in my second post of Koh Chang instead of Koh Kut where it is forbidden to kill parrots.

Ahhh, didnt know Koh chang was actually part of a marine park. Thank for the info!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT