• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking for the perfect belt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

iceselkie

where did the summer go?
Jun 27, 2003
Hi, while I'm here updating on my wardrobe.. :)
My husband, with the best intentions, bought two marseillaise belts.. needless to say, mine does not fit at all, and I was wondering if any of the smaller ladies (I'm 5'3") have any advice on what kind of belt is best?

Thanks!

Hey Brianna
If it is a buckle type with holes you can punch some more holes - best done with a tailors punch or leather-workers punch.
You will trash the belt if you try to cut the holes with a knife.

Then you should have the right circumference - if the belt is too long then trim the length carefully.

Hope that helps - Ed

aww i was going to punch a hole in it and then trim it too, but didnt know how, the rubber is so thick! plus the buckle is so big too, it's almost painful! i don't suppose there is a similar kind of belt out there that's just smaller?

There are rubber belts have exactly the same principle as normal weight belts.
I'm pretty sure companies such as OMER and Cressi make them.

There are plenty of homemade ones around as well - you just cut the strap from something such as an inner tube of some tire or some stuff you can find in sex stores (I've heard something about it but don't know the specifics) and use a normal buckle - maybe a plastic one if the rubber is too fragile.
Someone else made my homemade one, so I can't help you with the how-to, sorry.
Maybe a new thread? :)

Hi Brianna

You could even use your current rubber belt if you remove the big buckle and put on a standard weightbelt buckle instead.

You might have to try a few weightbelt buckles to find one that has slots wide enough to use with the thick rubber belt. Then just trim it to the right length and punch in a few extra holes.

Ash

iceselkie said:
Hi, while I'm here updating on my wardrobe.. :)
My husband, with the best intentions, bought two marseillaise belts.. needless to say, mine does not fit at all, and I was wondering if any of the smaller ladies (I'm 5'3") have any advice on what kind of belt is best?

Thanks!

hiya! i have the rubber belt from Sporasub.. bought in on the DB online store had to trim it a bit ... i bought both, standard buckle and marseillaise.

I have a marsellaise, rubber and homemade!

marsellaise are very handy for taking on and off quickly, but can't be tightend up anything like a normal one. They are also only good for about up to 4 kg of weight. Anything more and I'd go for normal. Even the normal ones get difficult if you use loads of lead (>10kg). That's when I started with home made belts with stiffer rubber.

The Sporasub one off DB is good.

Ben

I find the omer belt with normal buckle loads more comfortable than the marseillaise and you can adjust it exactly to fit, and cut it off more easily if you want to

The best belt I ever had was a home made rubber belt with what I thought was a handmade buckle too. It saved my life once when I got stuck in a hole - I told the story in another thread here, so I'd skip the blah-blah. However, I lost the belt during a competition and i never managed to find such buckle again until few months ago when a friend posted a picture of it on my site's forum (thanks Dobs!)
It appeared that my buckle was an old-style Russian military scuba weight belt buckle. The advantages are that it really gets unbuckled with one single touch. When the belt is a rubber (ellastic) you touch the belt and it simply pops opened one and falls... For the rubber belt you can use an old truck tire (the inflatable one inside the actual tire, of course)...
Here's the photo of Dobs' belt unbuckled (he's belt is not rubber).

Attachments

• belt_buckle.jpg
    belt_buckle.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Wishbone
Those buckles are sold on http://www.scubaland.fr/voir_P730006.html
Ben
I find that Marseillaise belts are better for tightening and I use around 8kg of lead.
Maybe your belt was a thin rubber type? I got mine from Picasso and it is a really thick belt it also has a roller buckle which akes it nicer to use.

Reactions: Wishbone
Thanks, mate!

I really didn't think they make those anymore and we even spoke to a guy that agreed to profuce them for us! :)

iceselkie said:
aww i was going to punch a hole in it and then trim it too, but didnt know how, the rubber is so thick!
I usually use a drill (hand, mains or battery will do the job) to add holes to thick leather belts, I am sure that would work. Drills are readily available in many sizes and the result looks good. BTW Why would any women let a man buy them clothes or accessories :duh :) ! Marseilles belts are good chunky belts -- but they are more workman's belt than Ursula Andress: http://www.jamesbondmm.co.uk/bond-girls/ursula-andress.php?id=007;)

Last edited:
ive made my own rubber belt, i bought the rubber new for 5 dollars, i think its 4.5mm thick by 50mm wide and just used a "standard" buckle,, so far its worked flawlessly i was a little concerned about how long the rubber would last but so far ive used it for 3 or so months and theres no signs of it perishing, even if it does need replacing yearly it doesnt matter to much.

Did I ever have a waist like that? Once maybe but so long ago now :)
Workman's belt or Ursula Andress, doesnt matter as long as it hits the bottom when asked, my all time favorite was a yellow webbing belt I bought back in the 70's with those huge wire type buckles that folded over, lost it last year (along with everything else) so have replaced it with an Omer rubber belt with the clamp type buckle, a wee bit fiddley to put on (I suppose all rubber belts are the same rofl) but its a really nice belt, just so easy to adjust.
Did you ever sort that out Brianna?

I was always told: "Plan every dive and stick to the plan" Good advice I think :)

Alison said:
Did I ever have a waist like that? Once maybe but so long ago now :)
Workman's belt or Ursula Andress, doesnt matter as long as it hits the bottom when asked, my all time favorite was a yellow webbing belt I bought back in the 70's with those huge wire type buckles that folded over, lost it last year (along with everything else) so have replaced it with an Omer rubber belt with the clamp type buckle, a wee bit fiddley to put on (I suppose all rubber belts are the same rofl) but its a really nice belt, just so easy to adjust.
Did you ever sort that out Brianna?
rofl rofl rofl

I made the perfect belt this week - using a mountain bike inner tube and a buckle from a scuba belt - apparently the idea to use a bike tube came from Igor Liberti - so thanks for that! All the normal rubber belts moved up on me when I got deep - this one stays exactly where it starts as the inner tube is SO stretchy..... photo attached

Attachments

• sharkybelt.jpg
    sharkybelt.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 140
Hi Sam,

now all you need is three pairs of those little weight keepers - so your weights will not slide on the belt. Otherwise a very neat idea !

best wishes
Holger

I've got an Omer with the nylon buckle - very stretchy, comfortable, and easy to use - also cheap.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT